More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 14:36:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Making a default skintone replacement with SimPE
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Making a default skintone replacement with SimPE  (Read 8061 times)
Elvie
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Making a default skintone replacement with SimPE
« on: 2006 April 19, 00:41:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I saw a MTS2 tutorial for making default skintone replacements that mentions a "click of a button" SimPE alternative.  This tutorial also said the SimPE way is flaky, but I want to try it anyway. 

I can't find instructions on how to do it, though.  Can anybody help me?

Grin
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Making a default skintone replacement with SimPE
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 19, 01:20:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Angelyne has a simplified tutorial here.
Elvie
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 19, 01:40:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the same tutorial I saw at MTS2, also by Angelyne.  But not the instructions I'm looking for.

I'm looking for the quickie, possibly flaky SimPE method Angelyne mentions here:  http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=129993

She says:

"You can also create default skins at the push of a button with the new version of SimPE, but it doesn't produce a stand-alone file that you can share or distribute. Both the skin and the replacement skin need to be present in the download folder. Also the results were flaky for me. So I prefer this tried and true method."

Thank you anyway, BlueSoup.  Are you familiar with the speedier, less reliable SimPE method?
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 April 19, 01:55:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's see if I can remember how I did it...

1.  Open SimPE and choose Tools --> Scan Folders.

2.  In the drop-down box at the top of the screen, either choose the folder where the skins you want to make defaults are located or choose "..." and navigate to the correct folder.

3.  In the active Scanners tab at the bottom left, make sure only Skintone Scanner is checked.

4. Click the Scan button, and a list of skins in the selected folder will appear in the main window.

5.  Click on the first skin file you want to make default.

6.  At the bottom left, choose the Operations tab and scroll down to the Skintone Scanner section.  Under Base Skin, choose the default skintone you want to replace.

7.  Click Create Default Skin Override.  In the Windows dialogue that pops up, pick a good name for your default replacement file and save it to the folder where you want to put it.

8.  Repeat for any other default skins you want to change.

It worked fine for me, though I haven't tested my Alien default yet.

Remember if you want to use this method, you have to leave the original skintone file in the game!

Let me know if this doesn't work for you, it's been a while since I've done it...

Edit:  Also, does anyone happen to know whether it's possible to flag a custom skintone so that it doesn't show up in BS or CAS but is still available in the game?  It'd be nice to be able to hide skintones turned into defaults using this method so you don't have see them twice.
« Last Edit: 2006 April 19, 02:20:11 by AmberDiceless » Logged

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Elvie
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 April 19, 02:18:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks!  I'll try this tonight and let you know how well it works  Cheesy

Elvie
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 April 19, 19:56:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't get this to work  Cry

Your instructions were crystal-clear, and I followed them verbatim.  Everything went along great till the final step.

I named the file and saved, and SimPE seemed to get stuck on this.  It wasn't completely locked up, but the program just kept runnning and running.  I let it go for 10-15 minutes, then tried to minimize SimPE.  I finally got the "program not responding" message from Windows.  I tried many times, with many different skintones.

What's supposed to happen after naming the file and saving?  I didn't get any error messages - SimPE just acted like it was caught in a loop and wouldn't stop running.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 19, 21:33:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, when I saw your post I went and made a new set of defaults for myself, which I had been planning to do anyway, and the process went over without a hitch for me.  After naming the file and saving, I get a black dialogue box that tells me to "Please wait..." and it's there for maybe a minute or less before it disappears and puts me back to the Folder Scanner screen.  The file I saved is there where it's supposed to be, and the new defaults work fine when I load up the game...

I'm not too bad with SimPE for basic stuff when it's working correctly, but unfortunately I know very little about fixing it when it breaks.  ><

When you say the program keeps running and running, do you mean the "Please Wait" box stays on screen indefinitely?  What version are you using, are you using the Classic GUI or the Modern Look, and is it performing other tasks correctly?  Also, what expansion packs do you have installed, and what version of Windows do you use?  I'm just trying to narrow down what might be different between your configuration and mine...

Elvie
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 20, 19:39:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm using the newest version of SimPE, Modern style, on Windows XP.  I can't imagine that it would matter, but I'm also still using Service Pack 1.  I have Uni, NL, and OFB.  I do not have the Holiday Pack or Family Fun Stuff.

I was getting some wierdness with SimPE earlier.  I wasn't able to access certain townies' Uni and Nightlife tabs where you edit time remaining in the semester, turn-ons, traits, etc.  Also, I never got the black "please wait" box when trying to make the default skins.

I uninstalled SimPE last night and downloaded the Light version.  I now get the black "please wait" box, and it goes away after about a minute, but SimPE keeps running, and eventually I get the "program not responding" message if I try to click anywhere on the screen.

So, I did make progress after reinstalling SimPE, but it's still not working.  I have uninstalled SimPE again.  Is there a registry file I should delete?  I want a CLEAN installation.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 20, 20:11:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ack, registry editing is a bit beyond the scope of my knowledge of the program.  I looked around the SimPE forums and found these threads that might (possibly) be relevant, though none of them describe your exact problem:

http://ambertation.de/simpeforum/sims2/How-to-perform-a-clean-installation

http://ambertation.de/simpeforum/sims2/SimPE-042-Application-has-generated-an-exception

http://ambertation.de/simpeforum/forum/viewpost/13411#13411

Beyond that, if you're comfortable poking around in the Registry, a good registry cleaner like Norton CleanSweep or CCleaner will help identify leftover registry entries and let you remove them.  The only other thing I can suggest is using Windows Regedit and search for SimPE references manually.

For the record, your setup sounds pretty close to mine except that I'm using SP2.

Let me know if you figure this out, I feel bad that you can't get it to work...

Elvie
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 April 20, 23:09:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't feel bad!  You've been very helpful  Cheesy

Anyway, I read the threads you suggested.  The one re: SimPE locking up might be related to my problem.  I play TS2 on a Dell laptop with an unsupported integrated video card.  I know, totally retardo  Roll Eyes

So, I'll try wiping the registry and reinstalling, but if that doesn't work, I'll just have to deal with the consequences of my non-Awesome system  Undecided

Thanks again for your help and advice!
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 April 21, 00:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NP.  I hope you get that sorted out.  *Crosses fingers*  Tell you what, if you can't get it working, and you know which skins you want to use as defaults, send me a link and I'll do it for you.  Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: