More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 12:37:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Good free firewall - NOT ZoneAlarm!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Good free firewall - NOT ZoneAlarm!  (Read 15111 times)
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
Good free firewall - NOT ZoneAlarm!
« on: 2008 July 20, 20:21:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've been unable to go online for nearly two weeks. The culprit? My ZoneAlarm firewall! Does anybody know of a good free firewall other than ZoneAlarm? I don't trust the Windoze firewall, and now I don't trust ZoneAlarm, either.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
Re: Good free firewall - NOT ZoneAlarm!
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 20, 20:24:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Comodo?

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 20, 20:28:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Comodo Firewall works great for me.

Anyone know a good free antivirus that doesn't run those periodic I ATE YOU PROCESSOR NOM NOM NOM system checks?
I currently use AVG 7.5, but 8.0 is out and it does that active scanning crap, which kills my computer. AVG 7.5's update server will soon be yanked.

Any suggestions?

Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 20, 20:50:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Avast!, doesn't seem to hog any resources.
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 20, 23:32:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've been unable to go online for nearly two weeks. The culprit? My ZoneAlarm firewall! Does anybody know of a good free firewall other than ZoneAlarm? I don't trust the Windoze firewall, and now I don't trust ZoneAlarm, either.

Windows XP, I assume.   A Microsoft update 2 weeks ago broke Zone Alarm.  They were apparently dependent on something that Microsoft changed.  Download the latest free Zone Alarm and you will be fine.

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 20, 23:42:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, all. I think I'll try the new ZoneAlarm, since I liked it until it broke.

BTW, you can change the settings on AVG 8.0 to not scan automatically. In fact, the option is included during the setup process.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 21, 02:27:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently gave up on Zonealarm as well, and switched to Avira Antivir.  It seems to have one of the best reputations on Cnet, for what that's worth.  I have it installed on two computers in my house.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 21, 06:03:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently gave up on Zonealarm as well, and switched to Avira Antivir.  It seems to have one of the best reputations on Cnet, for what that's worth.  I have it installed on two computers in my house.

I switched to Avira Antivir for all three of my PCs a couple of months ago. I have its services disabled so it only runs when I ask it to. My copy says it only gives me 6 months free though. Runs out in November. I'm happy with it so far, it's found trojans that other anti-virus solutions have not. I tested several solutions including Clamwin - which I really liked - but it never managed to successfully update itself in several weeks.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 21, 06:26:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ZA and Avast work for me, but I disabled MS auto-updating.

Comodo was the other professional geek-recommended firewall.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 21, 06:52:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm currently using F-Secure as it came free for 3 months along with my shiny free Broadband. Before that I had Norton but it seemed too 'Danger, Danger Will Robinson!' I don't think I'll go back Cheesy I might stick with F-Secure as it is unobtrusive and reliable. I have crappy Windows Firewall too as a backup.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 July 21, 07:25:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, got side-tracked into virus solutions. I went through an online tutorial to block all the ports in my router that I'm not specifically using. Then you can go to a place to test if you're vulnerable. I should re-check. I don't use any other firewalls except the hardware one in my router.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Cimaronna
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 July 21, 08:08:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd like to add my endorsement of Avira Antivir. When I downloaded it, my old Norton subscription had expired. I also had Zone Alarm and some other thing (must not have been very impressive, huh?). Anyway, when I ran Antivir, it caught viruses the other three together didn't. I don't think I'll be using anything else.  Wink

INTJ - Intelligence is what you have available to use. Whether or not you are smart is determined by how well you use your intelligence.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 July 21, 09:11:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I changed from ZoneAlarm to avast recently and am pretty happy with it, especially because ZA had more than just a few problems with the latest XP update and wouldn't let me go online. Plus, avast found spyware on my PC that went unnoticed by Antivir as well as AdAware.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2008 July 21, 10:33:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm currently using F-Secure as it came free for 3 months along with my shiny free Broadband. Before that I had Norton but it seemed too 'Danger, Danger Will Robinson!' I don't think I'll go back Cheesy I might stick with F-Secure as it is unobtrusive and reliable. I have crappy Windows Firewall too as a backup.

I liked F-Secure at v6.xx, but since ditched it in favour of Kaspersky. Too much lag in the new version. It was excellent as an AV, but as a firewall it was quite weak.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 July 21, 11:20:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, that's why I've enabled the Windows Firewall too.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 July 21, 11:26:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just use iptables.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

ISFP - now more Introverted than Pescado!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 July 21, 12:01:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use AVG on the shiny new desktop. I've also got Windoze Firewall as a back-up. I did use Avast! for a while, but I had to take it off for the more "trustworthy" AVG. I don't know if there's a difference anyway.

Fuck you, Old Man. Fuck you.
dDefinder
Blathering Buffoon

An Acronym

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 July 21, 12:42:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

how's online armor? : http://www.tallemu.com/free-firewall-protection-software.html

No matter what variables there are, it all adds up to total and all-encompassing tedium.
BattyCoda
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 July 21, 20:00:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I changed from ZoneAlarm to avast recently and am pretty happy with it, especially because ZA had more than just a few problems with the latest XP update and wouldn't let me go online. Plus, avast found spyware on my PC that went unnoticed by Antivir as well as AdAware.

Just wanted to point out that:

Zonealarm == firewall  /* New version fixes XP SP3 problem */
Avast == anti-virus /* Does spyware also? */
Adaware == anti-spyware

These are different functionalities; having one will not necessarily negate the need for the others.
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 July 21, 21:39:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been watching this thread with interest, as Zone Alarm had decided that the interwebz=teh evil after the latest windoze (XP)update.  The update crept in while I was at work, next thing I know...had to turn the firewall down to cruise the internet.  I am happy to say that the latest ZA update does work...and my firewall is back in action where it should be.
I have used spyware doctor in the past for adware/spyware.  I turn it on every few weeks to check the old bitch (pc).  I use the free version, though I have paid for it before.  The free one works just as well, since I am not running it all the time (it is a resource HOG).  I figure why pay?
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 July 22, 02:43:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've used Avast! for several years, but I also keep links to online scanners like F-Secure.

And I just switched from Zone Alarm to Comodo as a firewall.  Apparently ZA doesn't support 64-bit, so the hell with them.
imyourboy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 July 22, 14:17:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, all. I think I'll try the new ZoneAlarm, since I liked it until it broke.

BTW, you can change the settings on AVG 8.0 to not scan automatically. In fact, the option is included during the setup process.

How do you change the settings, I have looked everywhere in it.

Thanks.
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 July 22, 21:48:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use AVG on the shiny new desktop. I've also got Windoze Firewall as a back-up. I did use Avast! for a while, but I had to take it off for the more "trustworthy" AVG. I don't know if there's a difference anyway.

Little but Avast! seems to be better that AVG.
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 July 23, 13:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you change the settings, I have looked everywhere in it.

Thanks.

Open AVG 8.0
In sidebar, click 'Computer Scanner'
In the 'Schedule Scans' box, click to highlight the 'Scheduled scan' task
Click 'Edit Scan Schedule' button
Uncheck the 'Enable this Task' box (under 'Task Settings')
Save, etc.

You can then just run scans manually when you want instead of all the damn time. Smiley

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 July 23, 17:30:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to point out that:

Zonealarm == firewall  /* New version fixes XP SP3 problem */
Avast == anti-virus /* Does spyware also? */
Adaware == anti-spyware

These are different functionalities; having one will not necessarily negate the need for the others.

True - it would appear that the free version (and the Premium version) of Avira Antivir does not include protection from adware, nor does it have a firewall (according to their website).  Firewall is available with Antivir Security Sweep (most expensive version).

Tribulatio proxima est
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: