More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 19, 13:59:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6510 Members
Latest Member: TGTams
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Base hood University: Lion's Uni-GoldRecord and Unitest (Based on Argon's)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Base hood University: Lion's Uni-GoldRecord and Unitest (Based on Argon's)  (Read 124888 times)
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Base hood University: Lion's Uni-GoldRecord and Unitest (Based on Argon's)
« on: 2008 June 12, 19:32:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Require: Uni. Compatible: Free Time.
Object Catagory: Deco > Paintings
Price: $50.
Required files: Lion_Unitest_GoldRecord, Lion_Unitest

Usage: For any residential lot in your base hood, put the Unitest_GoldRecord (modified from the Gold Record painting by Lord Darcy's updated Glamor Life Stuff pre-order posted here. It has its unique GUID so will not replace the pre-order) any where on the lot before moving in a sim. Save and exit. Move in a teen from the sim bin. The teen will transition into a YA, the intro video (with a teary eyed parent) will play, and everything on the lot will work as if you are in a private house in a uni sub-hood (go to class, register for major, apply for greek house, do assignment, write term paper, etc.). The visitors should be uni students (see pictures below).

If you change a residential lot to dorm (using "changelotzoning dorm" cheat), you can even have uni dormies move in with you.

Known issues:
(1) Students may or may not go to class autonomously (see background below). In testing with two base hood YAs, one does and one does not. But you can always click the student and choose "go to class" one hour before and during their class time.
(2) Dorm cook does not come to dorms even if the set-up is correct. Use Inge's SHINY TYME NPC EVERYWHERE PATCH, or Lord Darcy's fix below (post #23).
(3) The semester timer does not count down. You need to spawn the "Semester Tester" (apple statue) with the testing cheat on, and click "start class" for all students. One apple statue for each student.

Background:

Sometime ago, Jade Elliot described how she made a university work in a base hood and generated a lot of interest (the thread was deleted by her later, which she has apologized here). In that thread, Argon created a towniebrick and unitest to make any residential lot behave like a uni lot. I tested it briefly and found it worked quite well, except for one problem,  students do not go to class autonomously. I remember later in another try they did go autonomously. I reported in that thread but I don't remember the circumstances now.

Then FT came out and his townie brick is not compatible (any person-click resets the sim). In his hacks thread he said he will update when his computer is ready to install FT.

In the meantime, I was thinking maybe, since the uni-test can tell it's a uni lot as long as the townie brick is on lot, the townie brick can be anything. So I made a quick test, and it works! (still except for go to class autonomous push)  Just now I moved a teen into another "uni" lot, and she went to class autonomously. The download contents were the same.  Roll Eyes

Argon, if you want to release your own version, I will take this down if/when you want.

Please report whether it works for you and/or any problems. Thank you.

Credit:
Argon's great hacks
Lord Darcy
Jade Elliot's ideas

* Lion_Unitest.package (0.43 KB - downloaded 1877 times.)
* Lion_Unitest_GoldRecord.package (97.24 KB - downloaded 1830 times.)
« Last Edit: 2008 June 17, 18:03:59 by Lion » Logged

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Base hood University: Lion's Uni-GoldRecord and Unitest (Based on Argon's)
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 12, 20:52:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love you. Like, really.

Will test this weekend. I had a few teens that I already technically moved to the Uni simbin, but I can pull them and deage them and then run them through in a test lot.

Have you tested with any other Uni-related hacks in play? I have TJ's college adjuster that I use generously to play colleges for half the normal time.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 12, 22:44:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It works with my army of hacks (most of Pescado, Twojeff, dizzy, Inge, Ste, Crammyboy, monique, djs, jase, xptl, and a few others here and there).  I put in all the college hacks that I have been hording that are not in conflict with each other (for example, one of dizzy's and twojeff's student move away from portal). I start to think the way Argon made it, it should not be in conflict with anything, even those dealing with colleges.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 12, 23:00:36 by Lion » Logged

behold_the_muse
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 13, 00:16:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I need some sort of 'teens move out' hack for this, don't I?
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 13, 00:38:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I need some sort of 'teens move out' hack for this, don't I?

We have, luckily  Grin. CtfG_TeenStarPC, probably from MTS2. Seasons version, but works for FT.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 13, 05:29:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can also age them up to adult, move them out, then age them back to teen. Either the in-game spawnable Sim Modder will do this, or TJ's Sim Blender.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 13, 06:08:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow!

*Emma applauds Lion

This is really, really great! Baa!

keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 13, 08:47:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's working really good for me.  I'm with Emma, Baaaa!
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 13, 13:40:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tested it briefly and found it worked quite well, except for one problem,  students do not go to class autonomously. I remember later in another try they did go autonomously. I reported in that thread but I don't remember the circumstances now.

Same thing happens when you put a residential lot originally built on regular neighborhood to Uni subhood, because the lot timer is still set on regular hood. The opposite happens when you put a residential lot originally built on Uni subhood to regular neighborhood. Adult Sims will autonomously go to class at 2:00 PM, and Sims will not age at 6.00 PM.

To reset the lot timer, you have to move a Sim into borked lot, and use move-out tool in neighborhood screen.

I prep regular residential lots to Uni subhood like this;

1. Put a residential lot originally built on regular neighborhood to Uni subhood.

2. Enter the lot, and changelotzoning to dorm. Save and return to Uni subhood screen.

3. Move a YA into the newly converted dorm. Return to Uni subhood screen without saving.

4. Use move-out family tool from the Uni subhood screen. This resets the lot timer.

5. Enter the dorm and changelotzoning back to residential. Save and return to Uni subhood screen.

I believe if you move the prepped lot into the lot bin, the lot will retain Uni timer even in the regular neighborhood until the next time you move out family.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 13, 14:40:12 by Lord Darcy » Logged

Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 13, 14:17:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Adult Sims will autonomously go to class at 2:00 PM

That would explain why the female YA went to class on her own because her class was at 3 pm (undeclared major). But wait, the male YA has the same schedule, but he just wouldn't go. [Edited] Wait again, he might have 5 pm classes. Sorry. Will test later.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 13, 15:23:49 by Lion » Logged

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 June 13, 14:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe if you move the prepped lot into the lot bin, the lot will retain Uni timer even in the regular neighborhood until the next time you move out family.
That would make sense. I had troubles ages ago with some residentials I built in Uni not allowing aging. The trick was to plop in regular 'hood, make a change, then save before moving in a sim. Now what I'm thinking is...if you built lots in a Uni sub'hood and then moved them into the bin and plopped in a regular 'hood, shouldn't all this resetting of the lot timer scheme not be necessary?

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried dorms. You can plop down a residential in a regular 'hood and use the cheat to rezone as dorm...I've done that before.

What happens if you try to move a YA in a regular 'hood? Do they go to the regular 'hood's simbin, or to the Uni one?

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 June 13, 15:17:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried dorms. You can plop down a residential in a regular 'hood and use the cheat to rezone as dorm...I've done that before.

I did. Rezoned, two rooms, moved in one student, one Maxis uni student moved in after a while.

What happens if you try to move a YA in a regular 'hood? Do they go to the regular 'hood's simbin, or to the Uni one?

They stay in the base hood. I moved out a YA from a base hood uni lot (residential, she turned from teen to YA there). She went to the base hood sim bin. I then moved her into a base hood dorm, now she has a roommate.  Grin

Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 June 13, 16:09:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

if you built lots in a Uni sub'hood and then moved them into the bin and plopped in a regular 'hood, shouldn't all this resetting of the lot timer scheme not be necessary?

Of course resetting is not necessary for lots built in a Uni subhood. It's only for converting lots built in a regular neighborhood to Uni lots.

Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 June 13, 16:22:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This might be a stupid question, but does this eliminate entirely the need for making a university? If so, when do the teachers/other students get generated? Do they need to be? What would happen if you had two uni subhoods? (Do you get two sets of npcs when you do that anyway?) Also, I can't remember if the diplomas say what university the sim graduated from - if it does, does it have the name of the main hood or what?

Sorry for all the questions: I'm interested, but I don't think I read the thread the first time around, so I don't really understand how this works Tongue
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 June 13, 19:05:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To reset the lot timer, you have to move a Sim into borked lot, and use move-out tool in neighborhood screen.

I prep regular residential lots to Uni subhood like this;

1. Put a residential lot originally built on regular neighborhood to Uni subhood.

2. Enter the lot, and changelotzoning to dorm. Save and return to Uni subhood screen.

3. Move a YA into the newly converted dorm. Return to Uni subhood screen without saving.

4. Use move-out family tool from the Uni subhood screen. This resets the lot timer.

5. Enter the dorm and changelotzoning back to residential. Save and return to Uni subhood screen.

My experience (and solution) has been the same except I didn't change the lot zoning to dorm and back.  I just cheat the dummy YA enough money to rent the residential lot and move him right back out.  Do the extra changelotzoning steps preserve something about the lot that I haven't noticed?
pixiejuice
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2008 June 14, 13:58:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very cool!  I will try this out in my downtown uni as soon as I get a chance to play!

yet another sims 2 blog: http://lakesideheights.blogspot.com/
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 June 14, 15:03:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My experience (and solution) has been the same except I didn't change the lot zoning to dorm and back.  I just cheat the dummy YA enough money to rent the residential lot and move him right back out.  Do the extra changelotzoning steps preserve something about the lot that I haven't noticed?

I changelotzoning to dorm just in case. In one occasion I lost furniture after I moved out YAs.

pixiejuice
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 June 14, 21:27:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just got a chance to play and this seems to be working well.  Are you all getting the semester timer to count down?  Mine isn't.  I remember that the timer did count down with Argon's mod, so I'm wondering if that's something that could be added to this?  It's handy not having to have those stupid apples all over the lot.

Also wondering if anyone's tried sending YAs on vacation?  I know back when I played original Uni, I could send them on vacation, and I usually had each bunch of students go on spring break somewhere.  But I haven't been able to do that since moving my uni downtown - they age to adult as soon as they get to the vacation hood, same with hobby lots actually.  I'm hoping it might be different with these in place.  I'll be trying it out as soon as I get them all through the current semester. 

Everything else I can think of is working - dorms, prompts for going to class... Good work Lion!

This might be a stupid question, but does this eliminate entirely the need for making a university? If so, when do the teachers/other students get generated? Do they need to be? What would happen if you had two uni subhoods? (Do you get two sets of npcs when you do that anyway?) Also, I can't remember if the diplomas say what university the sim graduated from - if it does, does it have the name of the main hood or what?

Yes, eliminates the need for regular uni, but not only that, I believe the last time I checked I wasn't able to play regular uni anymore - they would age to adult there.  (Last time I tried was with Argon's mod.  I haven't tried with this one yet.)  So if it's basically the same, I think you'll have to choose one or the other.

Can't remember what their diplomas say.  I'll check next time I play.

Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 June 15, 19:40:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, eliminates the need for regular uni, but not only that, I believe the last time I checked I wasn't able to play regular uni anymore - they would age to adult there.  (Last time I tried was with Argon's mod.  I haven't tried with this one yet.)  So if it's basically the same, I think you'll have to choose one or the other.

Can't remember what their diplomas say.  I'll check next time I play.

Cool. I'll give it a spin and see what I think of it, then. Thanks for the answers Cheesy
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 June 17, 05:19:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok. I just got to test this. Building the community college lot took me awhile as I kept changing my mind as to the design.

Good:
1. Teen sims moved into lot zoned as dorm transitioned correctly.
2. Sims were able to pick majors, work on term papers, do assignments.
3. Sims received pre-class message and autonomously went to class.
4. Dormies did show and occupied rooms. No new dormies spawned; these were all my existing dormies for this townie aging round.

Bad:
1. It's been five hours and no cafeteria worker. I have the correct stove, several islands, dishwasher, refrigerator...everything I normally have in a cafeteria area. No Whitney Drake to be found.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2008 June 17, 11:51:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bad:
1. It's been five hours and no cafeteria worker. I have the correct stove, several islands, dishwasher, refrigerator...everything I normally have in a cafeteria area. No Whitney Drake to be found.

The BHAV in dorm cooktop checks if the lot in question is located in main 'hood or Uni sub'hood, and prevents the dorm cook from being scheduled if it's in main 'hood.

pixiejuice
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2008 June 17, 12:44:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bad:

I have no idea if this would work or not, but could you try saving the community lot with one of those uni test paintings on it?  Maybe then it would be recognized as a uni community lot?

It's weird, but I still have one community lot that I stole from my college and brought downtown and the cafeteria worker still spawns.  So maybe also try taking the lot to your real uni and saving it there, and then bring it back.

gypsylady
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 June 17, 12:47:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inge has a uni stove that works on any lot.
 http://simlogical.com/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_Eating.htm
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2008 June 17, 13:50:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I edited the BHAV of the dorm cooktop to bypass the neighborhood check. The dorm cook now can be spawned anywhere except residential lots, Greek houses and owned community lots.

* LdDarcy_DormCookEnabledInMainHood.zip (0.47 KB - downloaded 1089 times.)

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 June 17, 15:37:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bad:

I have no idea if this would work or not, but could you try saving the community lot with one of those uni test paintings on it?  Maybe then it would be recognized as a uni community lot?

It's weird, but I still have one community lot that I stole from my college and brought downtown and the cafeteria worker still spawns.  So maybe also try taking the lot to your real uni and saving it there, and then bring it back.
It's a dorm, not a community lot. I did save it with the uni test painting. I actually built as residential, then exited, then re-entered and placed the record & saved.

I suspected it was something either in the cooktop coding or the NPC coding. Thanks, Lord Darcy, for finding it so quickly. It would have taken me years!

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: