More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 08:15:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Aggie's House of Phail
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Aggie's House of Phail  (Read 23772 times)
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Aggie's House of Phail
« on: 2008 June 08, 06:15:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is my first official attempt at making a lot to Awesomespec standards, so I hope you'll forgive me if it's not QUITE up to par. I would appreciate any and all constructive criticism. Already I think I probably should have placed the house farther back from the front of the lot, but that didn't occur to me until much later. I'll likely rebuild later with that in mind.

Price: $55,017

Any thoughts or comments?

Front of the house:

Level 1:

Level 2:

Note: The stupid in-game camera didn't center properly. >=(

* Aggie's House of Phail.rar (553.32 KB - downloaded 365 times.)
« Last Edit: 2008 June 08, 21:17:47 by Aggie » Logged

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Aggie's House of Phail
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 08, 06:28:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The roof looks all wonked...it doesn't cover all the house Cheesy

Apart from that though, nice work!

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 08, 06:45:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are no features to centre the eye in the front aspect of the house, except for the front door, which is not lit. There's no vegetation to give a bit of life. There's no symmetry in placing the windows and I don't know why one canopy is a different colour to all the rest.

The rest is functional but very dark, the large central areas won't get enough light.

You've clashed two types of fences with no real architectural reason or benefit.

Like Emma said, the roofs look weird.

You're right it should have been further back off the road.

I hope you meant it when you said you wanted constructive criticism.  Cheesy

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 08, 08:15:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Aggie takes down helpful notes

I appreciate it, witch. I can only improve with such pearls of wisdom. Smiley  The problem with the mismatched fence and gate was that there were NO matching gates for the fence that weren't drastically taller than the fence itself. Since I'm limited to using only Maxis content, I couldn't use something else. Maybe I'll try looking for a different type of fencing, although I quite like the black one.

I'll add some more roofing, or just try adding a piece to the middle to get it completely covered.

As for the lighting, this I grant you since I included absolutely no lighting whatsoever. It's a bad habit I've gotten into and must remember to add it in the future.

As for the one mismatched canopy, I couldn't get it to delete. I'll have to practice some more with the placement of awnings.

ETA: I have taken your advice to heart and tried to fix it. It was a real bitch moving everything back two spaces, let me tell you. However, I am certain I fixed the roof issue as well as added some shrubs and more lights. Any thoughts on the new one? Original post will be edited very shortly to include the improved lot.

New pics:

Front:

Level 1:

Level 2:

"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 08, 10:52:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh crikey, I didn't imagine you'd shift the damn house.  Cheesy

Yanno? I reckon it looked better where it was. No, no, just joking.

Personally, I like about 4 squares on a porch, it helps with the delivery/meeting dances.

I don't know why your roof has a hole in the left one, are you using the same tool for each side?

If the house is awesome spec, you'll also need to move the kitchen to a corner so you can have lockable doors, or surround it in half-walls with gates in. You need to be able to lock the kitchen away from visitors.

I see you've now got a double set of stairs, if they're the modular ones, that's optimal for movement. You need to be able to lock those away for Awesome spec as well, so the punters can't leave the viewing deck.

Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 08, 13:44:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love that you're doing this - so many people just give up and don't ever build. (It's why I have download traffic.  Grin)

I think the roof problem is that what you have now separates the building into two, and it feels disjointed. Going back to the first one (because I like the gabled roof), redraw the hipped roof, only go to the MIDDLE of where the gabled roof is. The hipped roof will look as though it emerges from the othe roof, thus tying it together better (I will find a pic for you if my description fails).

I'm also concerend by the one solid awning in a world of stripped awnings - it's one thing for window sizes and styles to vary a bit (take a drive and look at houses), but the decorative features don't change that significantly.

Finally: I'm not sure why your balcony goes out the front; it looks more like a storefront than a house done this way...especially with the heavy railings. Again, it's worth taking a drive and looking at houses just to get a sense of what people really do.

The inside looks fine - I think the layout is okay and up to awesomespec. I'd love to see some regular interior shots, to see decorative detailing.

Edited - damn grammacites.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 08, 20:13:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know why your roof has a hole in the left one, are you using the same tool for each side?

I have no idea why the roof on the left has that flat space on the top, but I did, in fact, cover it with some flooring later. I think.

If the house is awesome spec, you'll also need to move the kitchen to a corner so you can have lockable doors, or surround it in half-walls with gates in. You need to be able to lock the kitchen away from visitors.

Aha! Gates in the house! I didn't think of that. The kitchen is in the corner and surrounded by half walls, but I left two spaces open so as to avoid traffic jams there. Perhaps I should add a couple gates there instead. Thanks for the tip.

I see you've now got a double set of stairs, if they're the modular ones, that's optimal for movement. You need to be able to lock those away for Awesome spec as well, so the punters can't leave the viewing deck.

Invisigoth gave me some great advice about the stairs; it never actually occurred to me to use double staircases before, but I see the advantage. You may not be able to make it out on the screenshot, but I do actually have the stairways surrounded by walls and a double door so they are sealable from visitors.

I love that you're doing this - so many people just give up and don't ever build. (It's why I have download traffic.  Grin)

I thought I'd give it a try to see if Sim Aggie can have a nice place to live in Awesomeland. Smiley

I think the roof problem is that what you have now separates the building into two, and it feels disjointed. Going back to the first one (because I like the gabled roof), redraw the hipped roof, only go to the MIDDLE of where the gabled roof is. The hipped roof will look as though it emerges from the othe roof, thus tying it together better (I will find a pic for you if my description fails).

I can do that; the problem with the first roof is that I didn't quite connect them, which I fixed in v2. I can always switch them back and ensure they're connected again.

I'm also concerend by the one solid awning in a world of stripped awnings - it's one thing for window sizes and styles to vary a bit (take a drive and look at houses), but the decorative features don't change that significantly.

Meh, i scrapped the awning idea entirely; it was to much of a pain in the ass to make it look proper and lemmiwinks told me it looked like a storefront brothel.  Grin

Finally: I'm not sure why your balcony goes out the front; it looks more like a storefront than a house done this way...especially with the heavy railings. Again, it's worth taking a drive and looking at houses just to get a sense of what people really do.

I was trying to avoid having just a plain rectangular box of a house. Plus I wanted to have an elevated platform to place the expensive telescope on in case I 'need it,' and I didn't want to have the balcony hang over the front of the house to overshadow it. I'm not very happy with the right side of the house having no emphasis or whatnot, but that's something I can easily fix since it won't actually  affect the functionality of the home itself.

In addition, having a front balcony allows me to (theoretically) more easily spy on people as well as stand on it and glower at people passing by, perhaps chuck water balloons at them for good measure.  Tongue

I also want to include a driveway, but a). I'm not sure how to deal with the fencing requirement with one, and b). I use public transportation in real life anyway, so not having a car is more realistic.

The inside looks fine - I think the layout is okay and up to awesomespec. I'd love to see some regular interior shots, to see decorative detailing.

Heh; my decorative ability is fairly subpar. I'm honestly just going for Awesomespec and not gaudy at this point. Tongue

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 08, 21:29:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's cute!  I liked the awnings, but they would have looked nicer if all the windows had been the type used on the bottom whose corners didn't show.  Also, a slightly more subdued shade of green might be in order.  And I think you did use two different styles of roof.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 08, 21:37:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's cute!  I liked the awnings, but they would have looked nicer if all the windows had been the type used on the bottom whose corners didn't show.

Belatedly i realize that I should have extended the awnings a bit.

Also, a slightly more subdued shade of green might be in order. 

There are only a couple shades of green siding, and that one was the less bright and annoying of the two (in my view). When you're limited to only Maxis content, there's not much you can work with. Unless, of course, you were referring to the interior of the houise.

And I think you did use two different styles of roof.

Yes I did; it was my attempt at breaking up the monotony of having a single design for everything (you know, rectangular house with a regular roof type). I've never had any luck placing diagonal roofing so I thought I'd just try using two different types to give it some personality. If it failed, I am sorry. Sad

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 08, 22:31:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Part of the problem Aggie, is the square rectangularness of it all. I usually have at least one angle in the base design, just a simple right angle adds interest to the eye. Or a substantial extended front porch of some kind gives some shape. Or extend a one or two room block out from the central back, as if someone had added a kitchen at some point. That would give the roof a bit of variety and height interest.

If you wack a roof on that house it will be ginormous. Unless you alter the angle, or maybe put four rows of the long ones cross-wise or something. Or you could try a glasshouse roof in the middle, again letting light into the centre and breaking the roof a bit.

You still need more light, or to break up the large spaces with dividers or something. Upstairs where the two ends of the central open area meet the walls, would be ideal for windows, you can have windows into corridors. Some of the round or sculpted ones might be OK there, as a feature both internally and externally.

With the size of the upstairs, you could easily have some kind of look over internally, a mezzanine, that would also help with central lighting. (There'd be less floor to light).

Finally, I'd find a more subtle outside colour, or at least contrast it with a stone/wood/whatever surround or something by the front door / entrance area.

BTW the 'one desk' also needs to be near the entrance to meet awesome spec. Can't remember where yours is and am too lazy too look.

Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 June 08, 22:40:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BTW the 'one desk' also needs to be near the entrance to meet awesome spec. Can't remember where yours is and am too lazy too look.

Right in front of the front door.  Wink

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2008 June 08, 22:46:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's cute!  I liked the awnings, but they would have looked nicer if all the windows had been the type used on the bottom whose corners didn't show.

Belatedly i realize that I should have extended the awnings a bit.

Also, a slightly more subdued shade of green might be in order. 

There are only a couple shades of green siding, and that one was the less bright and annoying of the two (in my view). When you're limited to only Maxis content, there's not much you can work with. Unless, of course, you were referring to the interior of the houise.

And I think you did use two different styles of roof.

Yes I did; it was my attempt at breaking up the monotony of having a single design for everything (you know, rectangular house with a regular roof type). I've never had any luck placing diagonal roofing so I thought I'd just try using two different types to give it some personality. If it failed, I am sorry. Sad

Aww, it's okay!  It's your house, it can have whatever personality you want!  Cheesy  Hey, here's a thought, why don't you upload a copy of the lot and let us play around with it and see what variations we come up with?

ETA:  Right, I'm a dumbass, it's already uploaded.  But may we play?  XD
« Last Edit: 2008 June 08, 23:13:08 by AmberDiceless » Logged

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 June 08, 22:49:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooh! I wanna play with Aggies house!

*downloads*

You don't mind do you Ags?

Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 June 08, 23:08:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course I don't mind, Emma. You should personally note that it has no less than three bathroomsCheesy

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 June 08, 23:21:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'll soon get rid of them Grin

Kidding!

Cheers Aggie!

Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2008 June 08, 23:21:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course I don't mind, Emma. You should personally note that it has no less than three bathroomsCheesy

Well good, 'cause with Emma, you never know.

:::runs::::

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 June 08, 23:23:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well good, 'cause with Emma, you never know.

:::runs::::

*Emma moons Hec

Cheesy

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 June 09, 00:41:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a wee tutu with the front of the house and a bit with windows and lighting.

It's probably a bit too busy now, but it also has a face and some character. If I were making it I wouldn't have the balcony doors as double, I don't think. But hey, it was only a play.

I don't think you've lost too much space and there are a couple of interesting nooks now.

Download if you want to have a look.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2008 June 09, 07:34:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's my version  We can haz dressers!  And alarm clocks!  XD  ETA:  Oh, it's now $62,060 after Magic Wand depreciation.

Download: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cheese/noncheese/Ambular_Aggiehouse.rar
« Last Edit: 2013 September 09, 20:57:26 by Ambular » Logged

Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 June 09, 07:56:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Witch, Amber, I am in awe of your lot-beautifying abilities. I can't believe such a nice home actually was kinda-sorta designed by me. You both have done wonderful things with it. I am so proud!

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2008 June 09, 08:11:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Witch, Amber, I am in awe of your lot-beautifying abilities. I can't believe such a nice home actually was kinda-sorta designed by me. You both have done wonderful things with it. I am so proud!

Thanks Aggie!  I'm really glad you're pleased.  Cheesy  It's just amazing how different the same house can look with just playing around with the roof and doing a bit more color-coordinating.

Apart from that and adding dressers, I expanded the deck a bit to give the Sims an outdoor eating area with room to move around, added some doors to the kitchen area to prevent visitors from raiding the fridge, switched out some stuff for cheaper versions and used Pes's Magic Wand to keep the lot cost down, added some more lights and mirrors, fenced in and gated the pool, matched up the windows and added some more, and toned down the green-ness (without eliminating it entirely.)  I'd forgotten what a craptastic selection of objects Maxis gave us in some categories, geez!  :p

Oh, also added Pes's version of the Windkeeperian mailbox cover, as it is officially approved for Awesomespec.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2008 June 09, 11:37:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My version. I didn't really change that much, just made the bedrooms a slight bigger, added dressers and endtables for the sleepclock and made the nursery one room with fenced-off cribs. I toyed with the idea of putting the nursery on the 1st floor, but I didn't want to change your overall design too much. I also fenced off the kitchen area, added a shower to the downstairs bath and enlarged the entrance doorway. Added more windows that match and a few more lights. Rearranged some furniture. Replaced stairs with modular stairs. I also completed some wallpapering that had left walls uncovered. Also on the second floor deck, I extended the roofing to cover it and played around with the roof slope angles. I also used a second shade of green siding to break up the colour scheme. Oh and added a pond too. I think I made the pool a tad smaller, but not too sure. I also added a phone on each floor and a burglar alarm by the front door. Oh, and I replaced the desk with the cheap Base Game brown desk and the expensive computer with the cheap one. I did that after I took the pics, sorry. This comes in at just under §69k.

Front

1st floor

2nd floor

Back

Dunno if it is awesomespec or not-and don't care! This was totally fun! I think we ought to do a house makeover challenge thread Cheesy

[eta] Oh I added a bin and a sink to the kitchen area too.

[eta again] I forgot to add the download *headdesk*

Download Here.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 09, 12:06:20 by Emma » Logged

Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

INTP/J: Bork!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2008 June 09, 11:49:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's fun to see so many takes on the same house. Smiley

I tried to awesomespec it, and also re-decorated (monochromatic color scheme is phail in my book). I managed to raise the price on it to §100 000. I suspect shenanigans on Aggie's original price, since many objects seemed to have depreciated when I sold them.

Anyway, my results:

* aggiesphailhouse.rar (0.36 KB - downloaded 376 times.)

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 June 09, 13:28:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried to awesomespec it, and also re-decorated (monochromatic color scheme is phail in my book). I managed to raise the price on it to §100 000. I suspect shenanigans on Aggie's original price, since many objects seemed to have depreciated when I sold them.
Waving the More Awesome Than You Magic Wand is a standard shenanigan to use at this point. The same thing can be done in normal play my meditating a sim to death on the lot.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 June 09, 19:37:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fencing looks a lot more attractive that way, Annan; much better than just a general fence running along the front side to keep out undesirables. I assume the stone flooring will keep animals from digging holes in the front?

It's also really cool that you left a lot of space on level 2; you never know when Sims are going to need to place Rewards objects and whatnot. Are the two cribs sectioned off from each other? It's hard to tell in overhead mode.

I was also toying with the idea of making the pool into some interesting shape, but then couldn't be bothered. We'll see if I tackle that later. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: