More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 11:30:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Dual Core Question
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Dual Core Question  (Read 4196 times)
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
Dual Core Question
« on: 2008 April 16, 05:25:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm getting ready to upgrade my PC again soon since TS2 runs really choppy on it. Right now, I have a dual core, which from what I understand is the reason it's running so slow. Before my dual core, I had a Pentium IV 3.00 GHz and it ran better then than it does now. I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ at the moment. What I'm wondering is if I get a better processor (the one I'm looking at is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz dual core) will it help? I would just go back to a single core, but with TS3 coming out next year, I want to have my computer ready for that, but in the meantime, I'd like to be able to play TS2 occasionally without the random slowness and occasional crashes.

One more thing. I'm also thinking about getting a new video card since my ATI Radeon x1900 is like 3 years old. My brother has a GeForce 8800 GS and I'm thinking of getting that one, but the reason I got my ATI card is because my previous card was a GeForce 6600 GT and I was getting BSOD crashes while playing the Sims 2 back before the compatibility issues were known about. Anyway, if I get the GeForce 8800, will the BSOD crashes come back, or does this only effect certain NVidia cards? And if there is going to be a problem, what is the ATI equivalent of the 8800? I know a new card won't improve anything for TS2, but I'm mainly looking to upgrade more for TS3 than for TS2.
« Last Edit: 2008 April 16, 05:57:08 by ShortyBoo » Logged
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Dual Core Question
« Reply #1 on: 2008 April 16, 13:22:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried the fixes discussed here for lagging on dual-core machines? You can find the thread here.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 April 16, 13:30:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Regarding your question on video cards, I used GeForce 8800 GTS for a while, but it crashed my game constantly. Either it was the familiar BSOD, or an error message about some Direct3D thing. I finally had to switch to husband's X1900 XT, and the game has not crashed once since. Only I'm regretful about not being able to use a newer card, since we built my new system specifically to get a kick-ass game machine for the Sims 2.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 April 16, 21:03:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried the fixes discussed here for lagging on dual-core machines? You can find the thread here.

I saw that, but I thought it was just for laptops. It does look a bit confusing too. If I do that, does it make TS2 use both cores, or does it still just use one core? Because if it still does just use one core, I think I'd be better off with the new processor since each core is 3.2 where my current one is only 2.2GHz.

Also, I found this at MTS2: http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Dual_Core_Issues#Dual_Core_Issues

What's the difference between doing that and the fix you mentioned? The MTS2 one sounds fairly simple, but does it do pretty much the same thing (performance-wise)? Or do those have completely different effects?
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 April 16, 21:18:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I saw that, but I thought it was just for laptops. It does look a bit confusing too. If I do that, does it make TS2 use both cores, or does it still just use one core? Because if it still does just use one core, I think I'd be better off with the new processor since each core is 3.2 where my current one is only 2.2GHz.
The problem with the sims 2 lag is that it is trying to use both processors. To decrease lag you want to switch it so that it is only using one. I didn't think I had a dual core lag problem until I tried switching it to one just for the hell of it. The game runs much smoother now.

The differance between the one in the other thread and the one at the wiki is that one is more permanent and the other you have to set every time you run the game.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 April 16, 21:21:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The dual-core hot fixes are for any dual-core, since most vendors don't apply the hot fixes (and if you build your own machine, you'll definitely have to apply them). ForceCore is the app that makes the game use only one core; it was necessary for older dual-core processors, but the jury is out for newer ones.  On my new E8400 Core Duo, I don't see any real difference running the sims on one core with ForceCore, or just letting it use both. I keep ForceCore there and make it use one core just to be safe.

The change to the boot.ini file (adding '/usepmtimer') is no longer really necessary with newer dual-cores, it appears, based on research I did while I was configuring my new system. It probably doesn't hurt to have it, but it shouldn't have any real impact not having it.

The difference between what we say here and the thread you linked to (besides the important hot fixes) is that you have to do what's on MTS2 every time you start the game -- the setting doesn't stick between sessions.  ForceCore does the same thing, but since you make the utility part of the launch command for the game, you don't have to remember to load the Task Manager every time you start the game.

Also note that if you're going to use either method, you should start the game directly from the game .exe, and NOT through that stupid Launcher they started including as of BV.  So you'd launch the game using the Sims2EP6.exe or Sims2EP7.exe file.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 April 16, 22:04:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where are the instructions for bypassing the launcher? I hate the launcher anyway. I'd start it from the EP7.exe even with K&B Stuff installed, right?

My computer was built from scratch by my brother, so I'll be downloading those fixes I need. I just have one more question about it. Where is the boot.ini file? I see it mentioned, but not where to find it.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 April 16, 23:02:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right-click on the Free Time icon, select "Properties", and look at the Target.  Change the end of it from whatever it is (Sims2Launcher.exe, I think), to Sims2EP7.exe. Then hit APPLY, and you're done.  I don't know if you still launch FT even with K&B, though I suspect the answer is probably yes.  The K&B manual should tell you somewhere in the beginning which way, or at worst case, the game will tell you that you're starting from the wrong place when you click on the wrong icon.

Boot.ini is a hidden system file, so you can't usually edit it directly. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, then the Advanced Tab, and click on the Settings button next to "System and Recovery". The top of that dialog has an Edit button that lets you edit the boot.ini file.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 April 17, 03:44:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried the MTS2 Wiki method first just to see if it made any difference (since it's not permanent) and my game was slower than ever. The music sounded awful (like a scratched CD) and the game kept freezing up every few seconds. Doing the other method would make the same thing happen, wouldn't it?
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 April 17, 03:56:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried the MTS2 Wiki method first just to see if it made any difference (since it's not permanent) and my game was slower than ever. The music sounded awful (like a scratched CD) and the game kept freezing up every few seconds. Doing the other method would make the same thing happen, wouldn't it?

I used the method jsalemi suggested.  I'm running on a P4 3Gig and it certainly did not cause slowdowns for me.  I got it all set up within a half hour or less, so it's not that complicated.

Try it and find out.  If it doesn't work for you, you can always undo it.

Tribulatio proxima est
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: