More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 10:12:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  how do I update radios to free time
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: how do I update radios to free time  (Read 12187 times)
id
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
how do I update radios to free time
« on: 2008 March 25, 06:17:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Somewhere on this site I found instructions on replacing the pie menu string and the pie menu function for CC refrigerators to update them for Seasons.  For fridges this method still works fine with Free Time.  Also works with TV's and Computers. 
I'm running into a problem with radios and bookshelves though.
The new radios have a pie menu string but no pie menu function anymore.  The old CC radios do have both.  I've been playing around with it for a while and all I've succeeded in doing is updating the radio so I can only turn it on - no change channels, no turn off ... nothing.
The new bookshelves seem to have both pie function and string, but replacing them on a CC bookshelf doesn't seem to update the bookshelf - still the same actions it used to have. 
Can anyone point me in the right directions of what files I need to replace to update these items?  I hate Maxis stuff, it's soooooo booooring!
oh yea, and talk slooowwwly... I may not be blonde, but I'm no SIMPE wizard....
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: how do I update radios to free time
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 25, 12:24:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can't help with the radios, but about three messages down in this tread in the Podium, there's a simple fix for bookcases.  Turns out you just need to change one value for them to work properly.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 25, 12:38:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since BV, pie menus for stereos are handled semi-globally. Delete TTAB from CC stereos.

Edit: Wrong forum, why did you post in Peasantry? Such questions belong to Podium.

Updated resources for AL are now available here.
« Last Edit: 2009 January 04, 17:29:56 by Lord Darcy » Logged

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 25, 13:09:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since BV, pie menus for stereos are handled semi-globally. Delete TTAB from CC stereos.

That simple?  Cool!

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
id
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 25, 15:19:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you all! Going to try that tonight!  kisses and hugs all around.  At least if it works  Grin

On the location of the post - I just guessed where it would go.  Told ya I'm not very experienced in all things mod, hack and build like....

Qwiggles
Corpulent Cretin

We are all just monkeys...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 27, 22:19:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried this with one of my custom stereos.  All pie menu functions showed up except for "tinker".  Is that what I should expect?  How do I get the tinkering thingie to come up?   Cheesy

Mooooo
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 28, 03:27:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried this with one of my custom stereos.  All pie menu functions showed up except for "tinker".  Is that what I should expect?  How do I get the tinkering thingie to come up?   Cheesy

Unlike TVs, I couldn't find a way to enable "Tinker" in custom stereos yet. I replaced pie menu with extracted stereo semi-global, but no joy. Even freshly cloned custom stereo doesn't have Tinker option.

Qwiggles
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 March 28, 22:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'll wait patiently for you to figure it out.   Grin  Thank you for all your input regarding FT updates.

Mooooo
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 April 14, 11:59:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unlike TVs, I couldn't find a way to enable "Tinker" in custom stereos yet. I replaced pie menu with extracted stereo semi-global, but no joy. Even freshly cloned custom stereo doesn't have Tinker option.

I looked into Guardian BHAV of Tinker for stereos. It's one of those pesky "self-referencing" BHAVs, which checks specific hard-coded GUIDs of Maxis objects. It checks for GUIDs of 2 base game stereos, and prevents Tinkering for all stereos but those two. Which means that even new FT vintage stereo cannot be Tinkered, despite having required SLOT and animations. I guess EAxis did it in this way so that Tinker option does not show up for other types of stereos like jukeboxes or boomboxes, which lack required SLOT and animations for Tinkering. Using hard-coded GUIDs in BHAVs is EVIL, it's a dirty, quick way to do the thing though. (Remember that stupid OFB Decra-Chill display fridge, which wouldn't accept any cakes but 2 base game cakes? Gah.)

To enable Tinkering for custom stereos, either a global mod altering stereo semiglobal or custom Guardian BHAV for each custom stereo would be required. Currently I'm not bothering with either of them, it's not like there is no alternative way to gain Tinkering Enthusiasm.

Qwiggles
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 April 14, 15:15:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Currently I'm not bothering with either of them, it's not like there is no alternative way to gain Tinkering Enthusiasm.

Quite right, I'm with you on that one.  I'll just have to find another way to get my tinkering urges satisfied... Smiley

Mooooo
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 April 14, 18:40:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quite right, I'm with you on that one.  I'll just have to find another way to get my tinkering urges satisfied... Smiley

If the sim's mechanical skill isn't high, just have him/her study mechanical from the bookshelf without a thinking cap.  They'll build up tinkering skill in no time.  Or, if they have a big enough driveway, get them a junker car to build -- that does a pretty good job building tinkering, too.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 April 14, 20:09:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've started using the train set. Fun for the whole family, and I think the car is butt-ugly when finished. Horrible paint job. I look forward to default replacements.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Celestra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 April 14, 21:23:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you also get tinkering skill by letting your sims play with the model helicopter plus it saves the huge fire that happens if the train set bursts into flames

not sure if it also works on the model car
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 April 14, 21:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The train set can burst into flames? Fantastic! Now I know how I'm getting rid of the first born ugly child.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 April 15, 02:14:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

... and I think the car is butt-ugly when finished. Horrible paint job. I look forward to default replacements.

Yea, but then they can sell it for almost double what they paid for it. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: