More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 17:57:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  The SC4 Terrain I did so I could have more beach lots
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The SC4 Terrain I did so I could have more beach lots  (Read 37275 times)
ililas
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: The SC4 Terrain I did so I could have more beach lots
« Reply #50 on: 2007 October 20, 00:08:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The big problem with neighboor with beach.... is the water in the basement of a house  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

I downloaded the Harmony neighborhood who I found really wonderful...but... my houses always have cave(basement) and when the house is on a neighbor who have beach present... then, the house have water in the cave.  Sims doens't care about this but its really not funny

I wil show you one of my houses to let you know what I'm talking about.

I really don't know if there,s a patch to prevent this problem.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 October 20, 02:36:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen that too -- houses that place perfectly fine well away from the water suddenly have weird lakes near or around them if they're placed across the road from a beach. One even threw a lake across the road in front of it.  And the 'lake' is visible if you go into the lot in build mode, and sometimes warps the edges of the lot in such a way that nothing will fix it.

I don't generally like basements, so none of these have one. Hasn't happened on my Twikkii Island, but it did happen on the sleepycat terrain. And I'm pretty sure they're all downloaded lots, not EAxis ones that come with the EPs.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2007 October 20, 04:21:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@sleepycat - generally I build all my own houses now too (and keep copies of my favourites in my lot bin for re-using).  I used to use the maxoid default houses, but after a while I found they were either no good for expanding/renovating, or the bathrooms were 2000 miles from the kitchen, or there were 3 stories to climb from the bedroom to the point where the sims were missing their carpools cos it took all of breakfast for them to walk downstairs, or some other crap like that...anyway, I now only play small maxoid houses as starters while I build my sims their dream homes.  As you say, it's more fun when you really like the terrain.

you might like some of the starter houses I've built

heres a link to two of them
http://www.nectere.net/smf/index.php?topic=1037.0

another
http://www.nectere.net/smf/index.php?topic=1035.0

and another
http://www.nectere.net/smf/index.php?topic=1043.0

I have another one there but it isn't a starter house.

Now I just have to obsessively run off to check out whether sleepycat has made anything new, 'cos playing 6 beach 'hoods at a time is just totally what I have time for.   Grin

*laughs* nope, nothing new. I've been too busy working on and moving sims into Sleepyhaven, playing and working on my story. which if your reading it, I got two chapters up today and will have another up tomorrow.

----

I have no clue about the broken beach lots, other then it being mentioned the last time I looked at the bv bug list wiki site thingy. I have sent beach lots I made to a friend of mine and she hasn't reported any problems with them.

---

I hate basements in sims houses *shrugs* sorry, can't help.

---

low terrain and ponds on pre-built lots don't mix. I've found they will punch holes in the terrain - removing the offending lot and entering a different hood and then returning, seems to fix those holes. 

Ponds 'dug' after the lot is placed are fine, as long as you don't try to move the lot to a different spot afterwards. That includes moving it to the lot bin and back, it will punch a hole, package it instead, if you want to save it.

---

On some beach terrains, when wanting to start a new hood, I've found it's best to go around placing beach lots first, getting the terrain set for them. Then if I screw up, I can start over and try not to make the same mistakes  Tongue  Once thats done, they can all be bulldozed. boring but worth it.

Lana B
Dimwitted Dunce

This post not officially sanctioned

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 October 22, 00:06:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

low terrain and ponds on pre-built lots don't mix. I've found they will punch holes in the terrain - removing the offending lot and entering a different hood and then returning, seems to fix those holes. 

Ponds 'dug' after the lot is placed are fine, as long as you don't try to move the lot to a different spot afterwards. That includes moving it to the lot bin and back, it will punch a hole, package it instead, if you want to save it.
Ah, I did not know that. I don't move or package lots very often and I have previously only been concerned about how flat a terrain is, not its altitude.

"Curse that alpha turkey, rohina! She will get her comeuppance next Grammar Day-- I will make sure of it!"
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 October 23, 11:13:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, I did not know that. I don't move or package lots very often and I have previously only been concerned about how flat a terrain is, not its altitude.

I recently discovered it because I build all my own lots and I re-use some of them when I make new hoods.  I always re-use copies of my existing community lots (saves time and I already like them) and one of those community lots was a fishing park  Tongue 

Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: 2007 October 24, 23:07:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have Bon Voyage yet, so i'm no expert - but I saw a note from Emma at Laverwinkle that said "Due to the bugginess of placing beach lots, I will have created lots that must be placed where they were made." I wonder if you guys would find it easier to share your beach huts if you marked on the map the exact location where you'd put them?

Also, I'm crazily amused by this:
OK then.  Back to the drawing board.  I'm doing a good thing in small beach huts with full bathrooms (my one concession to luxury) and kitchenettes.  My sims will just have to live like castaways for a bit.  It's very affordable though.  My self-sim just digs for treasure to support himself. 
I always knew the game was unrealistic (pet jobs, anyone? Cheesy), but I really do think it's funny that your sim can live on treasure! It's like in Animal Crossing, when you collect bugs and fish and sell them for stupidly large amounts of game currency. I paid off several mortgages entirely in stag beetles!

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 October 25, 00:28:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always knew the game was unrealistic (pet jobs, anyone? Cheesy), but I really do think it's funny that your sim can live on treasure! It's like in Animal Crossing, when you collect bugs and fish and sell them for stupidly large amounts of game currency. I paid off several mortgages entirely in stag beetles!

Oh, it's more than possible.  5 sim hours digging for treasure or beachcombing for seashells can net anywhere from $400-5000+, depending on what you get.  If all you get is rocks and bones, you can still come away with about $400 a day, I find, with time left for skilling.  A great useless job for the knowledge sim with a working spouse and kids at home.  I thought of getting him to do paintings or novels, but there is just not the same monetary return.  Smiley

As for beach lots, I'm having no trouble placing beach lots made on a flat terrain on another flat beach terrain.  Beach lots that are not flat, or are placed on a non-flat terrain can get buggered to bits, it seems.  It would be OK to point directly at a spot on a hood map where I built a beach lot, except that this would assume that a lot of other MATY folks used the same terrain and, while we all simply love sleepycat's work and think she's teh awesomsauce, the great sleepycat hegemony of terrains is not yet in place.  So pointing to where the lot comes from then becomes another way of saying "you can't use this lot".  Sad but true, I think.

@ sleepycat: there may be an issue with placing non-beach lots on the terrains immediately across the street from the beach lots (does that make sense).  Apparently, in some cases the U-shaped general store (maxis lot bin BV comm lot) starts sinking into the terrain and being surrounded by water.  There's a thread on this here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,10147.0.html

Not sure if you were aware of this.  I'm going to try to test, for whatever good that will do.  (Checking to see if it's a consistent thing?)
« Last Edit: 2007 October 31, 17:48:47 by jolrei » Logged

Tribulatio proxima est
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 November 01, 03:25:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ sleepycat: there may be an issue with placing non-beach lots on the terrains immediately across the street from the beach lots (does that make sense).  Apparently, in some cases the U-shaped general store (maxis lot bin BV comm lot) starts sinking into the terrain and being surrounded by water.  There's a thread on this here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,10147.0.html

Not sure if you were aware of this.  I'm going to try to test, for whatever good that will do.  (Checking to see if it's a consistent thing?)

thats odd, I haven't seen that happen in my hoods.  I'll have to read about it tomorrow, no time tonight *must get to bed soon*  Tongue 

FYI: I posted some more terrains over at Crazy Town.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2007 November 01, 03:29:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, it's more than possible.  5 sim hours digging for treasure or beachcombing for seashells can net anywhere from $400-5000+, depending on what you get.  If all you get is rocks and bones, you can still come away with about $400 a day, I find, with time left for skilling.  A great useless job for the knowledge sim with a working spouse and kids at home.  I thought of getting him to do paintings or novels, but there is just not the same monetary return.  Smiley
Yeah, it's pretty broken in that regard. I should make it possible to find Power Lines and Old Naval Mines. That ought to keep life interesting. Just picture hearing this explosion and finding only a red smear on the beach as a result of a sim discovering an old unexploded naval mine.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2007 November 01, 12:49:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just picture hearing this explosion and finding only a red smear on the beach as a result of a sim discovering an old unexploded naval mine.

Hehe -- oh, please do make that! Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2007 November 01, 13:32:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just picture hearing this explosion and finding only a red smear on the beach as a result of a sim discovering an old unexploded naval mine.

Hehe -- oh, please do make that! Smiley

A bit drastic and dramatic, perhaps, but a great alternative to the satellite if you want to "off" someone.

Tribulatio proxima est
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2007 November 01, 16:04:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love it. But don't forget the ghost. The ghost should be red and re-enact the exploding when scaring sims.

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2007 November 09, 12:18:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

/plug

I just uploaded 10 new terrains (at Crazy Town) a few minutes ago *laughs*  The ten are a mix - medium + small, land & islands  Cheesy

http://www.the-isz.com/theisz/index.php?showforum=75

/end plug

guests can download there.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: 2007 November 10, 00:49:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SC, may I just take a moment to say that you are awesome? I don't have BV yet, but as soon as I get it, I'll be downloading your terrains.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2007 November 10, 01:02:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SC, may I just take a moment to say that you are awesome? I don't have BV yet, but as soon as I get it, I'll be downloading your terrains.

Thank you  Cheesy  *laughs*  The nice thing about terrains is they don't care what expansions you have. You could download whatever ones you like and just avoid placing lots on the beaches until you have BV  Grin 

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: 2007 November 10, 01:12:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'Tis true. I've already noticed that, even though I don't have BV, some of the lots that I've placed near the water have sand terrain instead of the lush terrain that the rest of the neighbourhood has. I'm wondering if these will automagically convert to beach lots once I install BV.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Celery
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 2007 November 10, 01:56:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This looks really nice Sleepycat, thanks! I'll grab this as I can't get my SC4 to work on my computer Cheesy Stupid Vista.
What do you have against Vista?  I find it to be great.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2007 November 10, 05:44:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'Tis true. I've already noticed that, even though I don't have BV, some of the lots that I've placed near the water have sand terrain instead of the lush terrain that the rest of the neighbourhood has. I'm wondering if these will automagically convert to beach lots once I install BV.

No. They almost certainly will not.

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 2007 November 11, 23:06:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't really think so, but a girl can hope, can't she? Wink

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2007 November 13, 14:01:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've uploaded 4 more terrains over at Crazy Town. they are smaller ones  Grin
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2007 November 13, 14:55:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've uploaded 4 more terrains over at Crazy Town. they are smaller ones  Grin

I just can't keep up anymore.  Sorry.  Smiley

* jolrei sits in a corner in a fetal position and sings quietly to himself *

Tribulatio proxima est
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2007 November 14, 01:42:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*laughs*

I'm just trying to give people more terrain choices  Cheesy  they are fun to make *laughs*
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: