More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 15:56:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  The SC4 Terrain I did so I could have more beach lots
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The SC4 Terrain I did so I could have more beach lots  (Read 37323 times)
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
Re: The SC4 Terrain I did so I could have more beach lots
« Reply #25 on: 2007 October 13, 03:00:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have to add my thanks for this baaaaaah hehe

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 October 13, 05:22:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

jsalemi, I will be uploading another terrain in a few minutes, it's a little smaller but fits more beach lots *laughs*

skandelouslala, your welcome  Grin

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 October 13, 22:22:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jolrei -- you may want to look over at the insim site.  For some reason I seem to remember someone there made a bunch of hippie-style clothes, and maybe some trailer-trash clothes too.

sleepycat -- while you're futzing with beach hoods, one maybe 1/2 the size of this one would be delightful to have. Smiley

Ya.  I've loaded the terrain and started to build my hood.  Not sure why with clean templates and about 12 custom townies I have 75 character files already, but perhaps that's normal.  Anyhow, built my sim a nice little hovel on the beach and did a one-stop comm lot for "amenities".  Thanks for the tip jsalemi.  I'll check on the trailer trash stuff, if it's there.

sleepycat - this is a great terrain, but the size surprised me as well.  Seems to stick out the edges a bit, but is working well nonetheless.  I'm lovin' it.  Cool

Tribulatio proxima est
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 October 14, 00:51:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sleepycat - this is a great terrain, but the size surprised me as well.  Seems to stick out the edges a bit, but is working well nonetheless.  I'm lovin' it.  Cool

it's the same size as all TS2 terrains *laughs*  The edges could be because of me putting small mountains/hills along them. I dislike seeing the 'wild blue nothing'  Tongue

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 October 14, 01:27:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

jsalemi, I will be uploading another terrain in a few minutes, it's a little smaller but fits more beach lots *laughs*

Yea, nice job on that too. I grabbed that one and will probably use that for my beach sub-hood.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 October 14, 01:44:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do plan to make some smaller ones soon. I may work on atleast one tomorrow night.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 October 14, 02:31:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And beachfront houses are starting to show up -- two decent-looking ones appeared on the insim site today.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 October 15, 14:14:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it's the same size as all TS2 terrains *laughs*  The edges could be because of me putting small mountains/hills along them. I dislike seeing the 'wild blue nothing'  Tongue

I know what you mean.  You seem, on the other hand, to have allowed for more lots (more efficient use of space?) than most of the Maxoid terrains (or is that my imagination too?).  My self-sim's beach hut is right at the edge of the available space, which I never thought was possible in the maxoid terrains.  Lots of room for expansion of the hood, anyway.  Tres kewl!

I just installed 16 custom dormies into a uni, as well as stocking about 12 townies in my new hood, so I'm sticking with this terrain for the time being.  My 'hood is a bit boring at present as far as amenities go.  I've designed an all purpose thatch roofed "mall" (grocery and clothing/electronics/magazine shop, with sauna, pool table, sitting/ACR room, swimming pool (redundant on a public beach, I know, but it fulfils the "wanna jump inna pool" want), food stand, and public beach.  It's the only place for my self-sim to go, apart from his beach hut.

Must check out the beach houses on insim - thanks jsalemi.

Tribulatio proxima est
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 October 15, 15:32:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, don't check too fast -- I downloaded them, but they won't place on the beach, even though it looks like they're supposed to.  I'm hoping it was an error by the creator, and not a problem with packaging and importing beach lots.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if EAxis borked that one up, too.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 October 15, 15:53:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, don't check too fast -- I downloaded them, but they won't place on the beach, even though it looks like they're supposed to.  I'm hoping it was an error by the creator, and not a problem with packaging and importing beach lots.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if EAxis borked that one up, too.

OK then.  Back to the drawing board.  I'm doing a good thing in small beach huts with full bathrooms (my one concession to luxury) and kitchenettes.  My sims will just have to live like castaways for a bit.  It's very affordable though.  My self-sim just digs for treasure to support himself. 

Tribulatio proxima est
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 October 15, 18:32:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll probably experiment next time I play, and make a small beach lot with something on it, package it, and then see if it can be placed on a beach from the lot catalog. Feel free to join in. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 October 15, 23:41:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have managed to place several beach lots I downloaded from MTS2.  They work fine, with all interactions, including swimming, functional.  They were all created in vacation destinations as "vacation homes", but I have placed them in my main hood.  Perhaps where they were created has an impact?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 October 16, 02:58:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe -- I'll have to look on MTS2 and grab one of them from there.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 October 17, 04:37:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know what you mean.  You seem, on the other hand, to have allowed for more lots (more efficient use of space?) than most of the Maxoid terrains (or is that my imagination too?).  My self-sim's beach hut is right at the edge of the available space, which I never thought was possible in the maxoid terrains.  Lots of room for expansion of the hood, anyway.  Tres kewl!

ahhh, yes, I can't stand 'wasted space' *laughs*  I think that is part of the reason I have trouble making smaller terrains  Roll Eyes   

I'm using my third terrain for my new hood (Sleepyhaven) and it seems huge now that I've been placing houses and community lots and can really see just how big it is. I decided to stick to one section of it and then branch out as the hood grows. With aging off and ACR, I may just need all that space *laughs*   When I make my next terrain, I will probably keep that 'too big' feeling in mind and try to divide the hood up into sections in some way to help diminish that feeling. 

with downloaded beach lots, the slope they were built on matters, thats why some won't place.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 October 17, 14:50:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not that it's a world beater or anything, but I can make my "starter beach hut" available if anyone wants it (must get some sort of fileshare account going).  It's not much - furnished it would have 0ne main room with dirt floor big enough for double bed, locker type dresser, bookshelf and chair; a kitchenette with concrete floor, bathroom (basic with cheap sink, cheap terlet, and clawfoot bath).  There is a shaded patio/porch out front with small table and cheap chairs.  The hut is done in Maxoid-BV issue grass/leaf panelling, with a neutral thatched roof.  Lights are of the candle variety.

JMP will, doubtless, wish to criticise the fact that the door is only a single arch and so cannot be locked (I thought that added a bit of authenticity).  I think all told it took me 15 minutes to knock up, so it really is not greatly special, but I like it.  Sorry no pics - I'm across town from my game computer at the moment.

Tribulatio proxima est
Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007 October 17, 19:48:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not that it's a world beater or anything, but I can make my "starter beach hut" available if anyone wants it (must get some sort of fileshare account going).
Most definitely.  I hate building but your scenario sounds like fun, and I'd like to subject one of my new grads to it.  Be sure to say how much money it costs.  Thanks!
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 October 18, 03:12:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Starter Beach Hut available now - this was constructed and tested on this terrain, and I can attest that it moves around reasonably well in my game (fits in several different spots, which is apparently a bit of a bugger for beach lots).

@jsalemi: you might try this one.  sleepycat's nice flat terrain probably makes this lot one of the more moveable ones around.  Possibly works in a number of sleepycat brand terrains.

Hut is as described in previous post - cost is approx $18,080 in my game (will be cheaper if you go unfurnished).
No CC loaded and should be clean.  Naturally clean installer is safest bet.  All furnishings are Maxis.
BV is required (but that goes without saying - it's a beach hut!).  As mentioned earlier, it is kinda cute, but nothing that special.

Download from: http://www.4shared.com/dir/4236324/f04c9255/sharing.html

@sleepycat: not meant as a hijack of your thread - more as a friendly addition.  I hope you're OK with this.  I can't stop playing this terrain.

Tribulatio proxima est
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 October 18, 12:11:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@sleepycat: not meant as a hijack of your thread - more as a friendly addition.  I hope you're OK with this.  I can't stop playing this terrain.

no worries  Cheesy  I might download your beach lot myself *laughs* usually I just make my own lots.

your beach hut lot will fit on any of my terrains.

I'm really glad your enjoying this terrain. I find it much more fun to play when I really like the terrain.

Lana B
Dimwitted Dunce

This post not officially sanctioned

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2007 October 18, 13:48:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jolrei, I tried your beach hut, which I quite like, but the beach was broken for me. No waves, couldn't swim. Sand activities were still possible. This was the first lot in a brand new 'hood.
Has anyone had a successful transplant?

"Curse that alpha turkey, rohina! She will get her comeuppance next Grammar Day-- I will make sure of it!"
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 October 18, 14:01:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jolrei, I tried your beach hut, which I quite like, but the beach was broken for me. No waves, couldn't swim. Sand activities were still possible. This was the first lot in a brand new 'hood.
Has anyone had a successful transplant?

Hmmmm.  I tried it out on a couple of spots in sleepycat's terrain, and it seemed to load fine.  I was especially careful to package it from a completely CC/downloads-free game, to make sure it was clean, so I can't imagine that's the problem.  If you move the lot down the beach to another spot, does it help?  Sorry I can't give you more help right now - will have to test later this evening or on the weekend.

@sleepycat - generally I build all my own houses now too (and keep copies of my favourites in my lot bin for re-using).  I used to use the maxoid default houses, but after a while I found they were either no good for expanding/renovating, or the bathrooms were 2000 miles from the kitchen, or there were 3 stories to climb from the bedroom to the point where the sims were missing their carpools cos it took all of breakfast for them to walk downstairs, or some other crap like that...anyway, I now only play small maxoid houses as starters while I build my sims their dream homes.  As you say, it's more fun when you really like the terrain.

Tribulatio proxima est
Lana B
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2007 October 18, 20:35:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm afraid I deleted the lot from the catalogue (still on the PC somewhere as sims2pack) and ditched the 'hood too as I placed it badly and made the road go under water.
The file is clean, just the lot.package, and the terrain was fine (I used one of SleepyCat's, Sandbar1?) it was only the ocean that broke. I'll give it another go when I go back in game.

"Curse that alpha turkey, rohina! She will get her comeuppance next Grammar Day-- I will make sure of it!"
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2007 October 19, 13:32:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The file is clean, just the lot.package, and the terrain was fine (I used one of SleepyCat's, Sandbar1?) it was only the ocean that broke. I'll give it another go when I go back in game.

Beach lots are a bugger to share and place.  My lot was built on a straight bit of coast (coastline parallel to the road, no curving beach), and you might have to place it on a part of the terrain like that for it to work, is my latest thought.  I have checked it on my hood and it installs OK in several locations.  I have seen one other report indicating some success.

Now I just have to obsessively run off to check out whether sleepycat has made anything new, 'cos playing 6 beach 'hoods at a time is just totally what I have time for.   Grin

Tribulatio proxima est
Lana B
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2007 October 19, 18:57:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I reinstalled the sims2pack and placed the lot in another 'hood with the same result. I entered it in build mode while unoccupied, just in case that helped.  Tongue  Maybe this is one of those YMMV issues. I was fairly lucky, not encountering several common issues with NL on my laptop. It looks like I've run out of luck on that score.

The next obvious thing to try is packaging a lot myself and seeing if that will transplant successfully. If I actually do this, I'll report back.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2007 October 19, 19:43:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I reinstalled the sims2pack and placed the lot in another 'hood with the same result.

It is worth noting that the lot in question was created specifically in this terrain and all successful transplants have been to hoods using this, or another of sleepycat's nicely flat beach terrains.  As noted elsewhere, transplanting beach lots to other hoods where the terrain may not be as flat, is considered in the "not recommended" category.  Unfortunately, it does tend not to work well.

Tribulatio proxima est
Lana B
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2007 October 20, 00:03:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used the same SleepyCat terrain to make the new 'hood so it's all completely flat too.

I did do my own lot and it was happy enough being packaged, installed and placed in my game. If anyone is able to see if I can transplant out, that would tell us something.

Hut differs slightly from Jolrei's.

* Shellana's Shack.Sims2Pack (593.24 KB - downloaded 242 times.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: