More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 16, 18:59:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  BV patch is out
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: BV patch is out  (Read 56647 times)
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
Re: BV patch is out
« Reply #50 on: 2007 October 10, 10:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

THE OFFICIAL RECOMMENDATION IS NOT TO INSTALL THE PATCH DUE TO MORE SECUROM SPYWARE!
This patch offers practically nothing of value except MORE SPYWARE. AVOID!

Which is perhaps the main reason for the patch, a way to re-force SecuROM on players who managed to get rid of it. Those half-assed attempts to "fix" a few issues are just camouflage IMHO.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 October 10, 10:22:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, you gotta be amazed at the amount of effort involved in creating or changing a whopping 9 functions.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 2007 October 10, 10:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess they are too busy working on their next screw up Undecided

Axe murdered since 2006
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 October 10, 10:26:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess they are too busy working on their next screw up Undecided
I find this explanation simultaneously oddly compelling and utterly believable.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: 2007 October 10, 11:05:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Part of the reason the "scene" doesn't notice Sims patches is because EAxis does nothing to make them apparent. Other games have patches with clear version numbers on them. The Sims doesn't. There's ONE patch, older patches are not available, and the information that the patch even exists is never publicized.

I've never seen such a dumb way of releasing patch in any other game. Other than the URL where the patch is located (like /ep6/1.10.0.122/ in BV) on their server, there is no clue whatsoever to version or build number in the official homepage. WTF, do they think such an information will scare the sheep away? I immediately change the filename to include the version and build number after download, in case I need to go back to previous patch.

rhodaloo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 October 10, 11:49:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, I'm to pull the patch?  Hubby isn't too worried about SecuROM etc as I have empty files for that. I hope he knows what he's talking about.

I'm still rather irritated that the "stuttering music" and lot lag are still present. 
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 October 10, 14:29:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eesh, thank goodness I didn't choose to download the patch right away. I'm sticking with antiredundancy until it's rendered obsolete.

I believe that antiredundancy has broader implications than the "fix" in the patch, if I understand JM's posts in this thread.  Leave it in for now, even if you ultimately patch.  You will note that the patch is "officially not recommended" now by JM.

Having never had OFB loaded, the patch does nothing for me.  My game was not lagging much anyway, so I can live without EAxis attempts to fix that.  Turning useless tour guides into a bunch of unlinked tour guides sounded like a VBT.  I enjoyed the advice that if this patch does not fix things, I should trash my hood and start over.  Very amusing. 

Perhaps a patch that actually patches things would be an idea (and in keeping with the actual definition of the word), rather than a patch that simply shows off where the holes are (which I believe is called "a big yellow circle").

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 October 10, 15:03:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'm going to pull it. Reinstall BV and all that. I'm running a hybrid right now (patched but using the crack still) and noticed no lessening in the (albeit slight) lag I have. The Head for Numbers issue doesn't bug me as I never use that perk. I'm also not a dumb idiot who would try calling up a local chef. And the shrinking of the NPC character files actually makes me nervous and almost made me not patch in the first place.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2007 October 10, 15:56:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Much as I despise SecuROM, I don't think you need to pull out the patch. It may be mostly useless, but I see it as mostly harmless. If you already removed SecuROM before, I doubt you'll have trouble removing it again.

lovesimsKL
Blathering Buffoon

I bite.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2007 October 10, 16:35:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What a waste. Why do they keep doing shit like this over there? Are they deliberately trying to tank the Maxis division? By the looks of the BBS the hysteria about the patch is going to start soon  Roll Eyes
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2007 October 10, 17:00:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are they deliberately trying to tank the Maxis division?

Oddly enough, it sure looks that way, doesn't it. They can't be that arrogant, can they?

* veilchen sternly admonishes herself re arrogance and points the LK fiasco out as a reminder

No patch for me. I only had to get as far as 'unlinked' and that did it. I don't trust them with fixing simple annoyances, let alone critical game issues.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Xuriel
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2007 October 10, 17:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are they deliberately trying to tank the Maxis division?

Oddly enough, it sure looks that way, doesn't it. They can't be that arrogant, can they?

Sure they can, they have done it before. Anyone remembers Origin Systems and the Ultima series?

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2007 October 10, 17:30:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I uninstalled BV and H&M this last weekend and my game has been running fine ever since. Until they address the Nvidia issue, I don't see reinstalling BV or H&M. Something is definitely screwy with either the stuff pack or the EP and I don't see that they have a"fix" in their patch list about Nvidia. You know, the card that is on their spec list. Roll Eyes

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2007 October 10, 17:36:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well Kelly, that is clearly a user error. It must be your card/your hacks/your game play, because Eaxis would never make any mistake like this.

We strongly recommend that you uninstall - reinstall, in perpetuity.

Signed

Eaxis Technical Support

P.S.
We are currently investigating those issues that are clearly caused by user error. A patch will be availble for doanload shortly. Just don't hold your breath. Eaxis cannot be made liable for any user-death caused by breath holding, even if Eaxis knew about that beforehand.

~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
lovesimsKL
Blathering Buffoon

I bite.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2007 October 10, 17:37:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems that their spec list is a joke period.  Undecided
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2007 October 10, 17:51:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Too true, Lovesims. It is unfortunately an inside joke, because I don't see a whole lot of customers laughing.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2007 October 10, 18:06:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We are currently investigating those issues that are clearly caused by user error. A patch will be availble for doanload shortly.

Spelling check:  I think the correct spelling for this is daonload.

This fix appears to be like trying to repair a collapsing bookshelf by 1) suggesting that one replace the books, 2) ripping pages out of some of the books, and 3) installing a bigger lock on the door (because the old one was too small and was not damaging enough of the books or the shelf itself, and finally 4) suggesting that most of the problems were the fault of the customer because they bought the thing and are therefore responsible.

Tribulatio proxima est
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2007 October 10, 18:17:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hah. Thank you Jolrei, I stand corrected. Although it can't be my fault, it is most likely your eyes that are to blame. May I suggest an uninstall -reinstall.

Your bookshelf analogy sounds about right. I'm hearing bad things about the patch already from quite a few other forums. Just like the OfB and Seasons patch. It appears to have made some people's game run faster, but most can see no difference at all. The 'unlinked' thing and its aftermath is yet to be seen. I guess it is one of those issues that show up quite some time after install.

Déjà vu all over again (Yogi Berra, 1950something)

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2007 October 10, 18:29:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Much as I despise SecuROM, I don't think you need to pull out the patch. It may be mostly useless, but I see it as mostly harmless. If you already removed SecuROM before, I doubt you'll have trouble removing it again.
It's the unlinking and reducing of the character files that worries me most, actually. I took a hell of a lot of time to fix the sixty extra character files and attached crap that they put in by borking the spawn mechanism in the first place. I really don't trust them to have fixed it. Really. I almost didn't patch just because of that, but I backed up beforehand and decided that I'd take the chance. That plus the slight risk from running a frankenmesh of .exe and game files equals take it out. I really should be like ya'll and just forgo the patch and use Pescado's fixes exclusively. They work better than the patches, anyways. The coat mess with the Seasons patch, for example.

I didn't get SecuRom back, because I replaced with the no-CD before I played.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2007 October 10, 18:43:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hah. Thank you Jolrei, I stand corrected. Although it can't be my fault, it is most likely your eyes that are to blame. May I suggest an uninstall -reinstall.

Yes, well, I don't trust the patches for that either.  I know a good modder (opthalmologist) who has provided a hack (glasses).  I'll wait for an update on that instead I think. Cheesy

Tribulatio proxima est
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2007 October 10, 19:48:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a way to remove the patch once it's installed? I just installed it, but now I'm having second thoughts. Is it too late now? I haven't even played since installing the patch. Actually, I don't want to play period since I still have SecuROM since I can't follow those complicated instructions to get rid of it. Instead I've been spending my time playing my DS or PS2. Until there's a fix for the choppy music/sound effects, freezing and the sims returning to the vacation lot over and over again, my game won't be getting played.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2007 October 10, 20:06:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a way to remove the patch once it's installed?

I think the process is to uninstall BV and reinstall.  This may also have the effect of requiring reinstall of the game itself and other EPs (if I understand this correctly).  Make sure you have backups of your 'hoods, downloads, etc.

Tribulatio proxima est
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2007 October 10, 20:28:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dizzy just posted a new file that fixes most of what the patch does.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2007 October 10, 20:32:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And the need for that expresses exactly how pathetic this entire situation is.

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2007 October 10, 20:39:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Dizzy. Dizzy needs his* own section.

*I'm assuming maleness. If the assumption is wrong, feel free to poke. I'm hopped up on pumpkin latte, so I won't notice it much.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: