More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 13:28:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW  (Read 742182 times)
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
« Reply #775 on: 2008 September 30, 19:00:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm too ignorant to help with whether you did it wrong, but maybe it would be a good idea to post what you did in tutorial form, as in the top of this thread?  It would make it easier for others who know more to point out where you might have taken a wrong turn.  Also, I imagine more people will have to adopt Vista and your findings will be useful for them, if only as an initial draft.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: 2008 October 01, 01:24:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apologies for big long quotes in advance - this is what I had to do differently in the EVIL world of Vista.

How do I get rid of that nasty, interfering DRM?
Quote from: muridae
Download regdelnull.exe and place it in C:\
Go to "Run" and type in "cmd", then type the following:

cd C:\
regdelnull hkcu -s
regdelnull hku -s

The two regdelnull calls above will scan the whole of HKEY_CURRENT_USER (abbreviated to HKCU) and HKEY_USERS (abbreviated to HKU). It's possible you may find other null registry keys during the scans, since you're not targeting *just* the SecuROM keys doing it this way. regdelnull will prompt you with the full pathname of every key it finds though, which will contain the name "SecuROM" if it's one of the ones you're after, so you can check names and only respond "y" to delete those two.

This worked normally.

Follow the guidelines below ripped from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/98241-13-remove-securom-malware-uninstalling-bioshock-demo:
* Step 3: Removal of the Securom service and related utilities.
Open a Windows command prompt and change directory to "c:\windows\system32". Type "uaservice7 /remove". This will stop the Securom user access service, and clean up its relevant registry entries. On the Windows command prompt type "regsvr32 /u cmdlineext.dll". Reboot and then manually delete the files "uaservice7.exe" and "cmdlineext.dll" from "c:\windows\system32". Note: Both of these files are Securom installed files which can be verified by checking their file properties (Right click - Properties).

This also worked normally, aside from uaservice7.exe not appearing in the directory.  That could simply be a configuration thing (and I've seen it mentioned in thread so I'm not too distressed about it)

* Step 4: Removal of Securom files under "C:\Documents and Settings".
Securom installs a hidden directory with 6 files under "C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Administrator name>\Application Data\Securom". The first 4 ordinary text files can simply be manually deleted once Windows explorer has been configured to show hidden files and folders. The two remaining malformed nominally unremoveable files require a special method to delete: Invoke a Windows command prompt with full Administrator privileges by typing the following into a Windows command prompt: "at <your current time + 1 minute> /interactive %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe" e.g. "at 9:02pm /interactive %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe". This will open a new Administrator command line when the time set has been attained.
/

This was a little different.  Vista denied access to schedule running cmd as an adminstrator (this is where it protects you from yourself, because obviously, if you can enter the command as above, you're obviously going to do something which will make your computer asplode Roll Eyes ).  Instead of going into Command prompt and then scheduling it to run as an administrator, click on the 'start' button, if cmd doesn't automatically come up in the list, type cmd in the search box, when it does appear, right click on it and choose 'Run as administrator'.

In this new command prompt change directory into the Securom folder e.g. "cd C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Administrator name>\Application Data\Securom". Issue the following command to show the two remaining hidden malformed files: "dir /A". To delete the two remaining hidden malformed files issue the following command: "del /F /AH *". Confirm "yes" for each of the two file deletions of the malformed files. Finally, the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Administrator name>\Application Data\Securom" can be deleted as per normal practice from within Windows explorer.

Instead of typing "del /F /AH *", because that didn't seem to delete the files, I typed "del *.*".  When I then ran a dir /a, the files were gone.  The Securom folder was then happy to be removed as per the above.

2. Double check your registry files. Still see any keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER---Software---Securom? Just delete the suckers. Won't blow up.

Yup.

3. If that damned SecuRom folder still can't be deleted, even after correctly following the instructions above, download DelinvFile from http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/dldelinv.htm . Run the executable and find the C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME HERE\Application Data\Securom folder and open the sub-folder. (Sorry, mine's gone, but I believe it was named "User Data"). On the right, choose each malformed file and delete. Go back into My Computer and delete that SecuRom folder for once and all.

N/A for me so don't know if there was anything different.

4. To not get it again, you need to start loading from a no-CD crack. I get mine at gamecopyworld.com. I recommend any versions by Fairlight. Make sure that, if you have patched your game, you get the patched version of the crack. Go to "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 LAST EP\TSBin" and change the name of the crack to whatever you like. Then place the crack in the same folder. Make a shortcut to this on your desktop, and run the game from this new shortcut.

Yup.  This worked exactly the same.

Last night after playing off the no-cd, I idly went into Registry and noticed Securom had snuck back into the registry files.  However like I mentioned in my previous post it had no qualms about being deleted again, and didn't appear in my Application Data directories (yes, I made sure hidden files and folders were visible), so not sure if there's a problem there or not.

EDIT - Played again last night, Securom didn't find its way back in that time.  Vecki's inconsistent computer behaves inconsistently. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 2008 October 03, 00:03:28 by vecki » Logged

<insert witty comment here>
gfitz
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: 2008 October 04, 02:46:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have followed the steps here to remove SR but I have a question and a problem. I found a folder in my Programs called PACE Anti Piracy. Anyone know what that is? I only have Sims stuff installed on this PC. Also in my registry, there is a folder called Brain Drain? Don't know if that is related or not...

Now the problem...the no cd crack will not launch my game. I had downloaded it so I didn't have a CD. I put the crack in the appropriate folder for BV and tried naming it alternately Sims2EP6.exe or Sims2Launcher.exe. The game will not load. Is that because I didn't use a CD to install?

And the no CD crack is a 7z file so I don't even no if renaming it is right or if I need to "unzip" it?

Any help is appreciated. And thanks SO MUCH for this thread.
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: 2008 October 04, 04:43:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PACE Anti Piracy is a security program bundled with some new PCs.  Could it have come with your computer when you purchased it?  I don't know about the Brain Drain.  As for .7z files: there is a program called 7zip that you need to "unzip" these file types.  7zip is an excellent program.  You can get it here.
gfitz
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: 2008 October 04, 07:19:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PACE Anti Piracy is a security program bundled with some new PCs.  Could it have come with your computer when you purchased it?  I don't know about the Brain Drain.  As for .7z files: there is a program called 7zip that you need to "unzip" these file types.  7zip is an excellent program.  You can get it here.
Ah...thank you for that. I figured 7zip files needed to be unzipped but I downloaded the application and get nothing but a quick flash of a window like a command prompt window. Maybe I did it wrong. Either way, I can't get the no CD crack to work.

But thank you for the info!
WhiteQueen
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: 2008 October 05, 13:50:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the time has come for me to finally get rid of SecuROM from my computer as AL is fucking me up big time.  My plan is to uninstall all of the games (something I've been meaning to do for a while anyway), remove SecuROM, reinstall the games in order, and use a no-cd crack.  Unfortunately, I can't even get past the first step.  I've been trying to download RegDelNull from here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb897448.aspx - since yesterday morning, but I keep getting "a connection to the server could not be established" error.  Every other link I've found leads back to that page.  I don't suppose anyone still has it on their computer and can upload it?  Or am I doomed to delete the offending files directly from the registry?   

Also, I'm sure I know the answer to this one, but I'll ask anyway.  The latest crack from Vitality at gamecopyworld says to apply the official patch first and then replace the exe.  I've never patched my games and don't feel the need to start, so can I ignore that instruction, or should I use the older link from Reloaded instead?

Thanks in advance!  Smiley 
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: 2008 October 05, 14:41:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yo, Whitequeen - I have it on my 4shared account.

Regdelnull.zip

Tribulatio proxima est
KinwatsaZ
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: 2008 October 06, 21:10:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi,   Well the AL no CD is only my second one ever.    And I am now confused.   I downloaded the No CD from GameCopyWorld for AL with the patch.   The original No CD exe was some 44K in size...44,738...The new downloaded exe for AL with the patch is only 6,288Kb in size.   Anyone able to explain to me why?  Shouldn't the size be relative?   Is it the correct one?   Is this safe to use?   What about the patch would have resulted in a vastly smaller exe?    Did it or no?    I will hold off on patching and applying the No CD until someone can get back to me.   Thanks in advance.   K
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: 2008 October 06, 21:26:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi,   Well the AL no CD is only my second one ever.    And I am now confused.   I downloaded the No CD from GameCopyWorld for AL with the patch.   The original No CD exe was some 44K in size...44,738...The new downloaded exe for AL with the patch is only 6,288Kb in size.   Anyone able to explain to me why?  Shouldn't the size be relative?   Is it the correct one?   Is this safe to use?   What about the patch would have resulted in a vastly smaller exe?    Did it or no?    I will hold off on patching and applying the No CD until someone can get back to me.   Thanks in advance.   K

Different people who make no-cds have different philosophies about the "correct" way to do it; this can result in wildly different sizes.  As long as the no-cd works, I wouldn't worry about it.

What this really tells you is how much of the game is devoted to refusing people access to the game.  When all of that code is removed, the resulting EXE can be a lot smaller.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
gfitz
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: 2008 October 06, 21:45:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am going to say that I also had some issues finding the right one to download. I grabbed the first one I think, by vitality (or something like that). It was the only one I could make work. I couldn't get the 7zip one to work at all. The key for me was figuring out that you had to replace the installed SimsEP8 file with the no CD thing. So I would copy that somewhere first just in case. I think that has been mentioned in the steps but just wanted to reiterate that.

Also I found myself downloading trainers and not the actual .exe that runs the game. Those are much smaller too.

Hope this helps...
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: 2008 October 06, 22:11:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am going to say that I also had some issues finding the right one to download. I grabbed the first one I think, by vitality (or something like that). It was the only one I could make work. I couldn't get the 7zip one to work at all. The key for me was figuring out that you had to replace the installed SimsEP8 file with the no CD thing. So I would copy that somewhere first just in case. I think that has been mentioned in the steps but just wanted to reiterate that.

Just remember that you should always use a version of the no-cd which matches your current patch level.  In Windows XP, you can check the version by clicking on each EXE (the original game and the crack) in Windows Explorer and choosing Properties from the File menu.  Go to the Version tab and check the File Version.  If they don't match, you've got the wrong no-cd.

Rainne
Dimwitted Dunce

Oh, fuck.

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: 2008 October 07, 11:19:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much for posting this thread!  I went past it at first because I'd never heard of SecuROM and didn't know what it was or did, so when I posted the problems I was having with my reinstall, people on my thread immediately directed me here.  I just really can't thank you enough; I was absolutely losing my mind trying to figure out how to get my stupid freaking game to load.  And now it works!

Thank you again! Grin Grin Grin

<br />Probably because you suck.<br />
Indoor Girl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: 2008 October 09, 12:57:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Issue the following command to show the two remaining hidden malformed files: "dir /A". To delete the two remaining hidden malformed files issue the following command: "del /F /AH *". Confirm "yes" for each of the two file deletions of the malformed files. Finally, the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Administrator name>\Application Data\Securom" can be deleted as per normal practice from within Windows explorer.

I've white-knuckled it thus far, but I've run into a snag with the malformed files. 0 file(s) and 3 dir(s) are listed, but there's no option to delete anything. The second one (del /F /AH*) brings up "The Syntax of the command is incorrect". I've spent the entire night reading through this thread, and I can't seem to find an answer to this. What am I doing wrong?

*I am running XP, under the admin. account
« Last Edit: 2008 October 10, 01:22:50 by Indoor Girl » Logged
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: 2008 October 09, 13:22:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Might it be as simple as putting a space between the "H" and the "*" (if it's a syntax error)?

Tribulatio proxima est
Indoor Girl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: 2008 October 09, 14:30:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to be kidding me, that was it!

Only one file came up though. I clicked "Y" for it anyway, and unchecked the "hide protected operating system files", but I can still see them inside SecuROM's subfolder. Did I miss something crutial, or should I try using the Delinvfile?

I've gotten so confused. I just want this to be over with now.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: 2008 October 09, 16:40:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Computers are essentially stupid.  Fast computers are stupid faster.  They can not and do not try to interpret what you mean in a command line.

Anyway, I'm assuming you did the following step exactly as directed:
Invoke a Windows command prompt with full Administrator privileges by typing the following into a Windows command prompt: "at <your current time + 1 minute> /interactive %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe" e.g. "at 9:02pm /interactive %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe". This will open a new Administrator command line when the time set has been attained. In this new command prompt change directory into the Securom folder e.g. "cd C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Administrator name>\Application Data\Securom". Issue the following command to show the two remaining hidden malformed files: "dir /A". To delete the two remaining hidden malformed files issue the following command: "del /F /AH *". Confirm "yes" for each of the two file deletions of the malformed files. Finally, the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Administrator name>\Application Data\Securom" can be deleted as per normal practice from within Windows explorer.

If that has not done the job (and your post above indicates that it has not), then tougher measures are necessary, I fancy.

3. If that damned SecuRom folder still can't be deleted, even after correctly following the instructions above, download DelinvFile from http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/dldelinv.htm . Run the executable and find the C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME HERE\Application Data\Securom folder and open the sub-folder. (Sorry, mine's gone, but I believe it was named "User Data"). On the right, choose each malformed file and delete. Go back into My Computer and delete that SecuRom folder for once and all.

In short, yes, try the DelinvFile method.

Tribulatio proxima est
Indoor Girl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: 2008 October 09, 22:12:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Invoke a Windows command prompt with full Administrator privileges by typing the following into a Windows command prompt: "at <your current time + 1 minute> /interactive %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe" e.g. "at 9:02pm /interactive %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe". This will open a new Administrator command line when the time set has been attained.

I did that, only, it opened up a whole new command window instead of a new command line. Everything else seemed to go pretty smoothly up until this point. Time to bring out the bigger guns I guess.
« Last Edit: 2008 October 09, 22:24:29 by Indoor Girl » Logged
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: 2008 October 09, 23:35:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, it's meant to open a new command window - this one is in Administrator mode.

You have to be kidding me, that was it!

Only one file came up though. I clicked "Y" for it anyway, and unchecked the "hide protected operating system files", but I can still see them inside SecuROM's subfolder. Did I miss something crutial, or should I try using the Delinvfile?

I've gotten so confused. I just want this to be over with now.

Oh, and this bit didn't work for me with the "del /F /AH *".  Instead I typed "del *.*".  That did the trick.  I'm pretty sure I made mention of that in my post... Sigh, I wrote all that for nothing... woe!  Alas!  Alack!

<insert witty comment here>
Indoor Girl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: 2008 October 10, 01:30:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vecki, I did see your post, and it gave me hope. But, if I recall, you are using Vista, so I was unsure if it would work for XP. I tried it anyway though, but all I got was a message saying it couldn't find "*.*".

EDIT:   DelinvFile worked like a charm!
« Last Edit: 2008 October 10, 15:22:47 by Indoor Girl » Logged
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
Re: SecuROM and RegDelNull
« Reply #794 on: 2008 October 10, 21:09:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you seen our "How to get rid of securom" thread?  HAVE YOU SEEN IT?

Go see it (Podium section) - detailed instructions on the first page.  Accept no substitutes. 

If you follow the instructions there to the letter, you should manage this without too much difficulty.  If in doubt about your ability to do this right, get a tech savvy friend/family member/passerby to help you.

* jolrei notes with satisfaction that posts have been moved.
« Last Edit: 2008 October 11, 03:07:19 by jolrei » Logged

Tribulatio proxima est
Indoor Girl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: SecuROM and RegDelNull
« Reply #795 on: 2008 October 11, 15:31:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's installed properly, once I pull up RegEdit, it's supposed to say C:\DocumentsandSettings/username>cd
 instead, mine keeps coming up:
C:\DocumentsandSettings/Owner>cd
and I try to direct it by typing in "cd C:\" (like Aphrodita says to) and then I type in "regdelnull hkcu -s" and I get nothing.  According to that, I don't have SecuRom on my computer (bull.  I do too). 
Oh, and I've got Windows XP.

Unless you've changed it, Owner is the default username.
Knukleur
Blathering Buffoon

See Rock City

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: 2008 October 15, 11:45:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

John Riccitiello feels your pain?

http://www.edge-online.com/news/riccitiello-says-drm-a-minority-controversy

"I'm not animated to do that." - Brak
spinningplates
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: 2008 October 15, 20:57:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry if I'm making someone be redundant; I scanned through and thought I found my answer but now I can't find it again...SO: I have EPs up through SEA. If I buy FT, install it, and run it with a no-CD patch, then I don't get securom. I also understand that I can install FT, install the patch, and run a patched no-CD crack.  But I am unsure if installing the patch will also install securom.

Thanks for your patience.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: 2008 October 15, 21:20:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry if I'm making someone be redundant; I scanned through and thought I found my answer but now I can't find it again...SO: I have EPs up through SEA. If I buy FT, install it, and run it with a no-CD patch, then I don't get securom. I also understand that I can install FT, install the patch, and run a patched no-CD crack.  But I am unsure if installing the patch will also install securom.

If you install using an administrator account, and if you do not actually run the game or the launcher, then you should not get securom.

I just installed all of my EPs and SPs on a new machine.  After installing and patching each one, I replaced the EXE with the patched no-cd and changed the game shortcuts to point to the no-cd.  When I was all done, I checked for SecuROM and it was not on my machine.

spinningplates
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: 2008 October 15, 21:28:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you, Mootilda!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: