More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 08:43:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW  (Read 742159 times)
Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
Re: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
« Reply #250 on: 2007 October 29, 12:36:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a better way to check: Open up "My Computer". Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME HERE. On the window's menu bar, hit Tools, then Folder Options. Click the View tab. Under "Hidden files and folders" make sure to click on the "Show hidden files and folders" radial button. (Insert beef about Windows hiding crap from computer owners for no valid reason here). Click OK. Now click on the new light-colored folder called Application Data. See a folder called SecuRom? You have it.

This may be a stupid question, but, I want to be sure. I did the steps above and I have a SecuRom folder but it is empty. Can I delete it?

Yes you can delete that.  But if you still have BV installed and you start it up that folder will return.  Also, that doesn't completely remove SecuROM.  There is also files in the registry.  You open the registry and use the find feature to search out all the files in there.  Search for both SecuROM and cmdlineext files to be deleted in the registry.  If you search Safedisc in both the registry and System 32 drivers folder you can also rid yourself of the SafeDisc files (though no prolbems have ever been reported with these, but they are DRM technology as well). The file that says NEVER Delete requires a special removal tool.  I used trashreg to remove that one.  All the others can be removed by simply right clicking on them and deleting.   There is a file or two in the System 32 labeled cmdlineext.dll  Those can be deleted easily as well.  I deleted all of these with no consequences to my system.  The only way to keep SecuROM off your system and still play BV or other SecuROM protected games is to use a no cd hack.  I purchase all my games legally, and I see nothing against using a no cd patch and ridding myself of having to deal with copy protection. I don't believe this is illegal as they have never procecuted legal purchasers of games for it and probably never will.  I believe if you paid for your games the fair use laws make it perfectly legal to circumvent copy protection to preserve the integrity of games disks and to protect your property and privacy.  Otherwise just don't install or play SecuROM or other copy protected games which most of them have it these days.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 29, 12:55:54 by CelestaLovesCats » Logged

Proof MATY schticks are a LIE!
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
It doesn't have to be TRUE to be funny. All we need is to take some minor thing you said, blow it up out of context, multiply by over 9000, and voila, you have a schtick. Sims are all about caricature, after all.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2007 October 29, 17:11:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most likely you will not be able to delete the folder without using the full instructions. There are two files with malformed names that do not show, regardless, and if you try to delete the folder without running a program such as the one I linked to, you'll just get an error message that some file with a string of unintelligible characters can't be deleted because it can't be found. Annoying, as well as completely illogical.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2007 October 29, 18:39:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried following the instructions, but I didn't have anything with uaservices.7, it doesn't exist on my pc.  I looked through task manager, and it also showed no uaservices.7.  The instructions weren't working for me, why I don't know. Anyway, I enabled all hidden files.  I created a search for all securom, also in hidden files.  When searched finished, I created desktop short cuts to each one, there were 2, one in user applications, another in program files.  I uninstalled bon voyage, I used the desktop short cuts to ship me to the folders/files. I deleted each of those found.  Next I used the "cureSecuromEng".  I used trashreg and the "do not delete" was gone.  I also ran my RegCure.  I created another search for sony and securom and it was clear.

I had at one point in time made a back up of my registry keys.  When I examined the back up, it really details all information as to what each registry key is, and did a compare with my current registry, as there was only one key that was suspicious.  I was able to confirm this suspicious key was actually a microsoft key and not to delete it.

Did I remove it all?
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2007 October 29, 22:14:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just wanted to add to my above post.  I made a backup copy in my registry keys as the are now.  Now it appears is a different story.  With looking at the backup, i right clicked and picked edit and all this info appeared. I selected "find" and typed securom.

I was suprised to see "securom" under the uaservice7.exe.  Securom was 008, but there were others listed under the key.  There was "backweb" "webex document loader" "catylist control, dir/A, conspawn.exe, thumbs data base folder, shell32remote assistance.  I dont understand why these are all together in this one same registry key, If I delete this key, will all the others in this group also delete?  I dont understand why uaservice7.exe was not showing anywhere for me.  Just wanted to add this added information. Any Suggestions?  I have called Sony, and made contact with a person said he would try and get some information I requested.  What to do?
sluggo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2007 October 30, 13:18:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well.. what I usually do when I find something I don't recognize in my registry (re: OCD), I'll google it.. and not just check out the first hit on google. That usually lets you know what you've found in your registry .

I tried following the instructions, but I didn't have anything with uaservices.7,

Hopefully you typo-ed and meant "uaservice7.exe" If not, search for it again and get rid of it as noted. Remember,  it won't be there if you installed on your Master/Administrater account.

Another note: the "backweb." Find a safe way to get rid of it. Regardless of what anyone has ever told you about it, it is Evil, Forced Maulware. My HP machine had it so that HP could upload updates at their leisure. well.. it seamed to always be connecting to HP's site and using "downtime" on my access to put their bullshit on my computer. Get rid of it, it's evil. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2007 October 30, 13:23:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Proprietary pre-installed spyware is exactly why you want to ALWAYS reformat a preloaded computer. Plus they tend to partition the drives funky.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2007 October 30, 14:33:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...and give you 40 versions of AOL and MSN you'll never use.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2007 October 30, 20:12:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah well, aparently they caught on to people reformatting as soon as they took their machine home. They no longer supply you with a disk of your OS. They instead force you to make a system restore cd. That way, in the event that something goes wonky you reset your system to they way they packaged it for you, with thousands of programs you don't need.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 2007 October 30, 20:21:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah well, aparently they caught on to people reformatting as soon as they took their machine home. They no longer supply you with a disk of your OS. They instead force you to make a system restore cd. That way, in the event that something goes wonky you reset your system to they way they packaged it for you, with thousands of programs you don't need. 

Yeah, my wife's laptop was like that.  Yet another reason to build your own rig, if you can.  Fortunately, with Vista out, copies of XP become "trailing edge" and therefore cheaper.

Tribulatio proxima est
claudiasharon
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2007 October 31, 10:50:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to thank you for this post. I hadn't even heard about this until I was looking at something else here and saw a link to this post mention. Then my 10 page reading day began...and then my "...I miss everything, don't I?" and then finally said goodbye to SecuRom (it was sad to see me go).

Then I go to sleep, and the next thing I know, I'm waking up to a nightmare about SecuRom taking over my computer. Go figure.  Cheesy

But yay and thanks for giving me an...interesting read...and for telling me how to get rid of it (really not that hard, at least it was easy for me). Because without this helpful post, I'd have probably not even heard anything about it and my Sims would've kept acting wonky. They were fine, I install BV and then they were mean. I figured it was because...I had too much sims crap or something. Or I just spent too many hours simming. But then after I read all this and got rid of SecuRom...suddenly my Sims went to how they used to be (since nothing else I have on my laptop is SecuRom, I made sure to check on that).

Thanks, thanks again and you are definitely more awesome than me (since I only did all this stuff yesterday and thought I'd share today).

*goes back to lurkdom*

"Dr Jackson is going to die when he sees this."
"What, again?"
sluggo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2007 October 31, 12:54:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just so you know, here in Michigan, US, they *have* to supply a disc. If not, they have to send you one *free of charge.* This I know, because I receive a "notice of settlement" and a restore disc 3 years (!) after I replaced the HP with a computer that actually worked.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 2007 October 31, 16:04:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just so you know, here in Michigan, US, they *have* to supply a disc. If not, they have to send you one *free of charge.* This I know, because I receive a "notice of settlement" and a restore disc 3 years (!) after I replaced the HP with a computer that actually worked.

Well, here in Louisiana, that doesn't do me much good. When my family purchased a computer for me a few years back I realized there were some pretty major disks missing from the package. I have my family call them up to see if it had been just some kind of mistake, alas, no. They just walk you though making your own restore disk, the bastards. That was a few years ago. This practice continues today. On my currant pre-built, I at least got a deal, it was their last display. It would have cost me more to build one and I had a very small budget. Still pissed I couldn't reformat it, I'm still finding random useless programs, and then there's programs that I'm not even sure I need currently, gah. this thing is a mess.
« Last Edit: 2007 November 03, 21:34:50 by morriganrant » Logged

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2007 October 31, 16:11:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to get pissed off with computer shops that did that.  I got to the point where I would tell them that either they provided me with disks for all software, drivers, and extras they were loading, or they could do without my business.  Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't - well, if you consider that I only bought from people who supplied disks, then it worked every time Grin , but some stores did not get visited again.  Fortunately, Ottawa is (in addition to being a government town) a high tech centre of the Empire, so there's a lot of choice of vendors.

Tribulatio proxima est
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 2007 November 03, 20:11:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well.. what I usually do when I find something I don't recognize in my registry (re: OCD), I'll google it.. and not just check out the first hit on google. That usually lets you know what you've found in your registry .

I tried following the instructions, but I didn't have anything with uaservices.7,

Hopefully you typo-ed and meant "uaservice7.exe" If not, search for it again and get rid of it as noted. Remember,  it won't be there if you installed on your Master/Administrater account.

Another note: the "backweb." Find a safe way to get rid of it. Regardless of what anyone has ever told you about it, it is Evil, Forced Maulware. My HP machine had it so that HP could upload updates at their leisure. well.. it seamed to always be connecting to HP's site and using "downtime" on my access to put their bullshit on my computer. Get rid of it, it's evil. 

Hi Sluggo,
Thank you for your response.  Yes that was a typo.  Yes again, as I did install on my Administrator account, so that does explain why I couldnt find it.  I was able to finally remove the "backweb".  That is one nasty sucker.  It seemed to have been everywhere on my pc.  It does appear I have it completely removed.  I also used the Window Washer and did a complete search to see if anymore places remained. I believe I can claim success.  Thank you again!
FourCats
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2007 November 10, 15:02:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just ran regedit.  There is so much in there.  Is there a program (either free or cheap) that you recommend to use, to clean that up; so that only what I really need is in there?

May all your fears & worries come true.
Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: 2007 November 12, 15:08:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This method of removing SecuROM is different than the original post in that you won't need to use command prompt.

The best and more thorough way to remove SecuROM is manually.  You could use the find feature in regedit to locate all the SecuROM files. 

Step by step:

To open regedit.  Go to Strat, Run, type regedit and press OK.  Go up to the Edit menu and use the find feature.

Search for SecuROM, NEVER DELETE, and cmdlineext (some will have cmdlineext menu in the name, delete everything with cmdlineext in the name. 

In the system32 folder go into the drivers folder and remove cmdlineext.dll and anything else that looks like that.

There is a hidden folder in this directory: C:\Users\YOURACCOUNT\AppData\Roaming

In my set up I don't have the UAService file since I don't have user accounts.  If you have user accounts you will need to search the user account folders for that file. 

Just right click and delete everything.  It's not as harmful as they say it is.  It's actually the best thing for your computer to get rid of the SecuTRASH.  If anything is stubborn and won't delete, then start up in safe mode and that ought to do it.

As an alternative to manual uninstall, you can try this program, not sure how good it works because I removed everything manually.

http://unidownload.com/filedownload-CureRom_548.html

This one does get rid of the NEVER DELETE key. 

http://www.databack4u.com/snc/rtkf_eng.html

I did use this one, and it works like a charm.   It's the only file that can't be right clicked and deleted.  When Trashreg wouldn't work on my son's computer, it was because of a missing file: msvbvm50.dll.  We were able to google and find a copy of it to download, slipped it into the system32 folder and then we were able to use trashreg.  When you run trashreg, it will tell you if a file is missing, just google the missing file and find a copy of it, move it into the System32 folder.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvbvm50

Instructions for using Trashreg:
Save the archive to your desktop
make a new folder on your desktop
open the archive
extract the contents of the archive to the new folder
open the new folder
click on the trashreg.exe
The program will open in a little window
Go up to file, choose find embedded nulls
The NEVER DELETE folder will appear
highlight it and press your delete key

If by chance this doesn't get rid of the NEVER DELETE key, then you might have to take it to a repair shop to get it out.  I believe there is a way to remove it via command prompt, but that is very technical.  Personally I have yet to find any resource on the Internet that explains how to remove that with command prompt.  If you can't afford to pay a repair shop, then reformating maybe your last or only resort. 

No-CD install information: If you want to be able to still play Bon Voyage download this

http://www.gameburnworld.com/gp/gamefixes/sims2bonvoyage.shtml
or
http://m0001.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_the_sims_2_bv.shtml

Go into C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Bon Voyage\TSBin

Change Sims2EP6.exe  to Sims2EP6ORG.exe

Then slip the no-cd exe Sims2EP6.exe into the folder.

When you want to patch your game, change the no cd exe to Sims2EP6NOCD.exe, and change Sims2EP6ORG.exe back to Sims2EP6.exe.

Patch the game as usual.  When finished label and swap the file names again and you will be good to go.  Grin
« Last Edit: 2007 November 26, 13:33:13 by CelestaLovesCats » Logged

It doesn't have to be TRUE to be funny. All we need is to take some minor thing you said, blow it up out of context, multiply by over 9000, and voila, you have a schtick. Sims are all about caricature, after all.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2007 November 12, 16:06:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um. Yeah. that was all in the first post.

FourCats, I'm assuming that you are talking about all the other registry entries in your computer, not those to do with SecuROM. As a general rule, if it's not causing you problems, don't mess with anything in your registry.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: 2007 November 12, 16:27:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um. Yeah. that was all in the first post.

FourCats, I'm assuming that you are talking about all the other registry entries in your computer, not those to do with SecuROM. As a general rule, if it's not causing you problems, don't mess with anything in your registry.

Please be open minded. I believe the method I have outlined is much easier then the first post.  That RegDelNull registry editing utility thing is too hard to use, and frankly it did not work for me at all.  A lot of people have been saying the first post is too hard to understand.  Plus this provides some additional resources.  I think we are learning a lot more about SecuROM removal than we did starting out.   Wink

Also that Trashreg file is an all purpose registry cleaner.  It will get rid of all the "other" entries.  I use it all the time.  With it you can even delete entries for free trials and use a free trial software again once you've deleted those.  Grin
« Last Edit: 2007 November 12, 16:46:25 by CelestaLovesCats » Logged

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2007 November 12, 16:46:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm open-minded, I just found it redundant upon skimming. Alternate programs for the same thing, then the same directions over again. Possible I missed something, though.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Skye
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2007 November 19, 20:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Call me stupid (I prefer technologically challenged), but If you get the securom off the computer how are you supposed to put that link in place of another?  Is this download to install it all over again?
Obviously I'm having trouble with this. I am not real confident about doing it myself yet, but am working myself up enuff courage to do so. I have disabled the permissions part of it, as someone had told me to do (in the registry), does this help?
thanks,
Skye
Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: 2007 November 23, 23:35:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Call me stupid (I prefer technologically challenged), but If you get the securom off the computer how are you supposed to put that link in place of another?  Is this download to install it all over again?

I am not sure what link you are refering to.

Obviously I'm having trouble with this. I am not real confident about doing it myself yet, but am working myself up enuff courage to do so. I have disabled the permissions part of it, as someone had told me to do (in the registry), does this help?
thanks,
Skye

No, disabling permissions in the registry does nothing.  You have to get SecuROM off your computer completely to be safe from it.

Skye
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2007 November 25, 16:38:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The no cd crack, I mean. Sorry.

I got totally lost in the directions. Maybe I ought to find a tech to explain it to me?  Would there be a "walk through" for 'unawesome' ones like me--ones who aren't so tech smart, but who would really like to get this off? I'm almost broke (paying for these ep's and sp's), and want a cheap way to do it.
Thanks
Skye

My heart goes out to all these people who think all they have to do is uninstall the game to get the securom out. I read that in the bbs teen style stuff area.
tessieroo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2007 November 25, 17:25:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Skye - *waving* I've seen your postings at the BBS, welcome to the dark side.  Cheesy

What exactly are you asking? Have you removed all traces of SecuROM from your PC? Do you need help with that? Or do you need help using the no-cd crack?
Skye
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2007 November 25, 19:50:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

muahahahaha, thanks tessie, I'm the nasty one over there, and thank you for the warm welcome here.

I want the securom out of my system, but I want to play like no one's business. I just found out I have that daemon thing too. Do you think they will actually come up with a fix for this, or do you think they'll continue to hide from us?

I was wondering, do you get rid of the whole game, then get rid of the securom, then reinstall it and before you launch the play button, put that no cd crack in there?
Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: 2007 November 25, 21:06:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The no cd crack, I mean. Sorry.

I got totally lost in the directions. Maybe I ought to find a tech to explain it to me?  Would there be a "walk through" for 'unawesome' ones like me--ones who aren't so tech smart, but who would really like to get this off? I'm almost broke (paying for these ep's and sp's), and want a cheap way to do it.
Thanks
Skye

My heart goes out to all these people who think all they have to do is uninstall the game to get the securom out. I read that in the bbs teen style stuff area.

Which directions did you follow, the one in the original post or mine? 

Try mine, I think it's easier, just follow it one step at a time:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,9929.msg281293.html#msg281293

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: