More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:19:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW  (Read 742020 times)
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
« Reply #225 on: 2007 October 21, 16:12:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uninstalling does not remove SecuROM. There is no "simple" method of removing it.

Uninstalling does not remove all traces of SecuROM and there is no simple way to do that.

Uninstalling appears to remove the active portion of SecuROM, which seems to be in Sims2EP6.exe.

However, what is left after uninstalling Sims 2 BV appears to be benign.

More than anything, SecuROM's reputation appears to exceed reality, at least with respect to how BV is using it.  In a way, it is sort of disappointing.

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 2007 October 21, 17:09:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Benign or not, it still has no valid reason to stay there. If it's not doing anything, then I want it off my comptuer. No matter how small, wasted space is never a good thing.
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 2007 October 21, 18:06:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Benign or not, it still has no valid reason to stay there. If it's not doing anything, then I want it off my comptuer. No matter how small, wasted space is never a good thing.

If you have the skill and means to remove it, yeah.  If not, well, I wish you well in your quest to remove all things that don't belong there.

If you don't have Vista, you will want to remove the Vista specific stuff that EAxis is installing on your system, too.  Wink  It's not doing anything and has no valid reason to stay there. 

kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 2007 October 21, 18:53:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I have already removed it. I was merely speaking on principle.
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: 2007 October 21, 23:10:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stuff that appears benign can cause problems later.  That's why my philosophy has been if I know something is still on the computer AND is unnecessary for anything I use, I get rid of it.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 2007 October 22, 23:15:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno about a consensus.  I think that most people who have the know-how to remove it have done so, just on principles. I know I have.  But I think that if removing it means messing with things you aren't comfortable messing with, you might as well leave it there.  LordRitcher has tested it and it doesn't seem to cause any problems, to his system anyway.  Your millage may vary, but  I'll trust a real life test over hysteria anytime.

And you are absolutely right.  Copy protection encourages piracy.  I've seen it in games, I've seen it with music CD. When customers suddenly find they can no longer use the product they paid for, or not use it in the way they want (like running the game without a CD, or moving music you bought to a new device), they go searching for answers.  And the answers are not hard to find.  And that opens a whole pandora's box.

My guess is that game companies consider that a reasonable risk.  They figure this will stop more casual piracy than it will cause customers to embrace the "dark side".  Although I have my doubts.   Getting a pirated copy is absolutely trivial.  Usually downloading a new expansion pack is faster than waiting for the game to hit your local stores.  Would there really be more piracy if the games were left unprotected?  Who is this copy protection stopping now exactly.  Maybe the kiddie crowd, whose internet usage is closely monitored by parents. 

One thing for sure they made a big mistake switching to Securom.  They thought the change would be transparent.  It wasn't.  That's lack of proper testing.  Like applying an untested patch system-wide in your corporate environment.  As as you pointed out, the uproar caused a lot of people to discover the wonders of cracked exe's.  Not good for EA.  Good for the customer.

Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: 2007 October 23, 12:14:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am very interested in stopping the madness when it comes to SecuROM.  I would very much like to give this method a try:

EDIT #2: I just found this online. Sounds a little too easy, but it also makes sense logically. Posting it here to see what any of you might think.

The easiest way to remove it without using additional software, is to go and delete it from the \windows\system32\ folder (I think the filename is UAService7.exe).

Then make a text file with the same name, in the same directory, and then right click the file, and make it "Hidden" and "Read Only". Then go into Control Panel/Admin/Services and disable/stop the SecuROM service. It will never load OR install ever again, and you are forever ridden of SecuROM but can still play all SecuROM games.

My problem is that since I only have one user account on my computer, and it has administrative privileges, I don't have an executable file -- I have the cmdlineext.dll file instead.  Does anyone know if there is a way that I can still make this "turn off" method work?

I have heard that you can change the name of the cmdlineext file, and create a dummie file to turn it off.  But the thing is that file I believe is only for creating the analysis file.   The file that is activating SecuROM is the sims2ep6.exe which is communicating with the NEVER Delete key in the registry.   In a user account the exe can not perform that action because of the limited priviledges it has.  The UAService7.exe enables the sims2ep6.exe to communicate with the registry key in the user account.  This is why people using an admin account use a no cd executible to replace the original, because SecuROM is removed from it and will not install or activate SecuROM and all together bypasses it.  I can vouch that the no cd cracks at GameBurnWorld.com are safe.  I have been using them since the Pets expansion and they have never caused me any problems.  If you put the crack in before starting the copy protected game up, SecuROM doesn't install at all.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 23, 12:31:50 by CelestaLovesCats » Logged

Proof MATY schticks are a LIE!
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
It doesn't have to be TRUE to be funny. All we need is to take some minor thing you said, blow it up out of context, multiply by over 9000, and voila, you have a schtick. Sims are all about caricature, after all.
Sugar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2007 October 23, 13:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have heard that you can change the name of the cmdlineext file, and create a dummie file to turn it off.  But the thing is that file I believe is only for creating the analysis file.   The file that is activating SecuROM is the sims2ep6.exe which is communicating with the NEVER Delete key in the registry.   In a user account the exe can not perform that action because of the limited priviledges it has.  The UAService7.exe enables the sims2ep6.exe to communicate with the registry key in the user account.  This is why people using an admin account use a no cd executible to replace the original, because SecuROM is removed from it and will not install or activate SecuROM and all together bypasses it.  I can vouch that the no cd cracks at GameBurnWorld.com are safe.  I have been using them since the Pets expansion and they have never caused me any problems.  If you put the crack in before starting the copy protected game up, SecuROM doesn't install at all.

Celesta, thanks for trying to explain this to me.  I finally called in a favor from a computer geek friend of mine.   Undecided  He's going through my computer with a fine-toothed comb to see if all my problems (BV tries to launch but sits on the same screen forever, anti-virus/spyware programs stop in the middle of a scan, computer lags, internet connection lags, etc.) is caused by SecuROM or something else.  He says that there is definitely something funny going on with the system, but he's not sure if it's a trojan or other malware let in by SecuROM or if it might be SecuROM itself.   Neither one of us wants to guess what's wrong, we want to know for sure so that when we fix it, we make sure it's fixed for good.  So, I'm going about this the slow, methodical way.   Grin  I will keep checking the info here to see if anyone has any other info that might be useful to us in our quest.   

Edited: for clarity.
Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: 2007 October 23, 14:33:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Celesta, thanks for trying to explain this to me.  I finally called in a favor from a computer geek friend of mine.   Undecided  He's going through my computer with a fine-toothed comb to see if all my problems (BV tries to launch but sits on the same screen forever, anti-virus/spyware programs stop in the middle of a scan, computer lags, internet connection lags, etc.) is caused by SecuROM or something else.  He says that there is definitely something funny going on with the system, but he's not sure if it's a trojan or other malware let in by SecuROM or if it might be SecuROM itself.   Neither one of us wants to guess what's wrong, we want to know for sure so that when we fix it, we make sure it's fixed for good.  So, I'm going about this the slow, methodical way.   Grin  I will keep checking the info here to see if anyone has any other info that might be useful to us in our quest.   

Edited: for clarity.

I believe I can explain why your scans stop.  It's my understanding that SecuROM performs some type of activity to remove itself from scan lists during the scanning process.  In some anti spyware and anti virus programs this causes an interuption of the scanning process and it becomes stuck.  The scans are actually picking up the SecuROM files as potentially harmful, therefore SecuROM was programed to remove itself from these scans.  It's another attempt to hide itself and prevent removal.  If the scans were permited to list the SecuROM files then you would be able to remove them.  Also after running these programs it is necessary to restart your computer before attempting to start up the game, or SecuROM will refuse to let the game start up because it thinks you were attempting to remove or bypass the SecuROM protection.

Also there has been others who have reported general or overall decreases in system performance after installing SecuROM.  If you removed SecuROM and these problems cleared up, then you would know whether it's SecuROM or something else.  A number of individuals have done so and reported that all the problems went away once SecuROM was removed completely. 

Proof MATY schticks are a LIE!
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
It doesn't have to be TRUE to be funny. All we need is to take some minor thing you said, blow it up out of context, multiply by over 9000, and voila, you have a schtick. Sims are all about caricature, after all.
Sugar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 2007 October 23, 18:53:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe I can explain why your scans stop.  It's my understanding that SecuROM performs some type of activity to remove itself from scan lists during the scanning process.  In some anti spyware and anti virus programs this causes an interuption of the scanning process and it becomes stuck.  The scans are actually picking up the SecuROM files as potentially harmful, therefore SecuROM was programed to remove itself from these scans.  It's another attempt to hide itself and prevent removal.  If the scans were permited to list the SecuROM files then you would be able to remove them.  Also after running these programs it is necessary to restart your computer before attempting to start up the game, or SecuROM will refuse to let the game start up because it thinks you were attempting to remove or bypass the SecuROM protection.

Also there has been others who have reported general or overall decreases in system performance after installing SecuROM.  If you removed SecuROM and these problems cleared up, then you would know whether it's SecuROM or something else.  A number of individuals have done so and reported that all the problems went away once SecuROM was removed completely. 

Celesta, you are full of wonderful and useful information.  Thank you so much.

It certainly does look more and more like I have a SecuROM problem.  However, since so many people seem to think that this is impossible (I mean, SecuROM is only a harmless copyright protection program, right), my tech guy and I want to make absolutely sure that it can't be anything else before we attempt removal of SecuROM.  That way, when everything immediately gets better afterward, no one can say that it was because of something else we did.   Grin  I especially want to be able to list everything I did when I send a nice little e-mail to EA support.   Tongue

I really thank you (and everyone else) for all the support and help.   

BTW, does anyone know of any anti-virus/spyware programs that will run all the way through with SecuROM on the computer?  I currently have Defender Pro, AVG, Ad-Aware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.  Some of them will run when you do the quick scan, but none of them want to complete a full scan -- even in safe mode.  I'd prefer it if I can get some free software since my computer fund is all tapped out with all the problems I've been having.   Thanks again!
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 2007 October 23, 19:00:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BTW, does anyone know of any anti-virus/spyware programs that will run all the way through with SecuROM on the computer?  I currently have Defender Pro, AVG, Ad-Aware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.  Some of them will run when you do the quick scan, but none of them want to complete a full scan -- even in safe mode.  I'd prefer it if I can get some free software since my computer fund is all tapped out with all the problems I've been having.   Thanks again!

Windows Defender worked for me. Ad-Aware did as well. Hard to say really, as a good deal of the problems cropped up because of the vast differences in software on peoples computers. One persons Norton had been working fine but the next person couldn't run their Norton, their mp3 player, or their burn software. It all seemed kind of dependent on what the total objectionable software had been. Bit odd.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 2007 October 23, 19:54:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Windows Defender worked for me. Ad-Aware did as well. Hard to say really, as a good deal of the problems cropped up because of the vast differences in software on peoples computers. One persons Norton had been working fine but the next person couldn't run their Norton, their mp3 player, or their burn software. It all seemed kind of dependent on what the total objectionable software had been. Bit odd.

The whole thing is more than odd, edging into irritating.  I can run Norton and Ad-Aware just fine.  I have no load/lag problems, and my game has never crashed.  I know others here who have (on paper) better specs than my rig, who have endless problems, possibly due to screw-u-ROM interaction issues with some other bits of software, drivers, etc., and/or basic game incompatibility with drivers, video cards, etc. that EA never told us about and still does not acknowledge (although to be fair, they probably don't know - they should, but they don't).  This leads to inconsistent experiences. 

Tribulatio proxima est
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 2007 October 24, 01:04:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NOD32 works fine with SecuROM installed. At least on my experience it does, and it's my personal favorite Cheesy
virgol
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 2007 October 24, 19:30:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After reading the whole 10 pages of this post 3 times over (I like clarification!) I followed the instructions and have removed SecuRom from my laptop. Have now got a no cd crack and BV runs fine. However, when I rebooted after removing SecuRom windows acted like it was running for the first time, desktop was reset, windows walkthru video wanted to run etc.  As if that wasnt irritating enough when I connected to the internet IE had also been reset and needed initial setup! my homepage was back to msn etc.  As IE was the first thing I noticed any strange behavior in while SecuRom was present I am sure that it has been affected by it in some way but have not seen anyone mention it here so am I wrong?  My laptop is definately running faster again now.  Also my keyboard is now confused, @ and " have changed places which is a total pain when typing my email address...is there any way to put this right?

Thank you for covering this subject, I knew something was on my machine that shouldnt be there as it was not behaving quite right and running slowly, but had not even heard of SecuRom before. I am a sims2 addict but will never buy another expansion if SecuRom is used.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 2007 October 24, 23:56:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like you might have deleted something by mistake in the registry.   You appear to have lost your settings.  Like you said no big deal.   Your keyboard was reset to the wrong language or to a default language of some description.  Go to the control panel and locate the Regional and options applet.  Select the middle tab: Languages and click on details. If the default input language is not the one you expected, change it.  Make sure that the keyboard you want is listed on top in the installed services list.  That's the one the system will use by default.  Remove the ones you'll never use, if there are any more.
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 2007 October 25, 00:02:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just want to make some SecuROM stuff clear.

The easiest way to remove it without using additional software, is to go and delete it from the \windows\system32\ folder (I think the filename is UAService7.exe).

Then make a text file with the same name, in the same directory, and then right click the file, and make it "Hidden" and "Read Only". Then go into Control Panel/Admin/Services and disable/stop the SecuROM service. It will never load OR install ever again, and you are forever ridden of SecuROM but can still play all SecuROM games.

I have heard that you can change the name of the cmdlineext file, and create a dummie file to turn it off.

Both of these statements are false.  SecuROM is much more clever than that.   Edit: removed some rattling of the mouth...

virgol
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 2007 October 25, 17:44:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like you might have deleted something by mistake in the registry.   You appear to have lost your settings.  Like you said no big deal.   Your keyboard was reset to the wrong language or to a default language of some description.  Go to the control panel and locate the Regional and options applet.  Select the middle tab: Languages and click on details. If the default input language is not the one you expected, change it.  Make sure that the keyboard you want is listed on top in the installed services list.  That's the one the system will use by default.  Remove the ones you'll never use, if there are any more.

Thanks Angelyne
I should have known how to do this, was looking in the wrong place!! Like many people I should spend more time exploring windows instead of waiting until I need to find something.   Embarrassed
Tina G
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Check this out!
« Reply #242 on: 2007 October 26, 02:35:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I followed the steps to rid my system of Suc-u-rom. It worked beautifully! It was NOWHERE to be found. I was happily playing my game with all the expansions until something totally un-related got borked and I decided that a total re-install was neccessary. After the game was completely gone, I checked the registry to make sure it was gone from there too and guess what I found? 

Apparently the damned game installed Securom during the UN-installation process. Now THAT is what I call ridiculous!  Angry
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 2007 October 26, 03:00:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lemme guess.

IT'S TRUE!  YOU SAW IT ON THE NEWS!!!!1
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Check this out!
« Reply #244 on: 2007 October 26, 11:52:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently the damned game installed Securom during the UN-installation process. Now THAT is what I call ridiculous!  Angry

Hee Hee Hee.  Smiley  SecuROM is not installed while uninstalling. You never actually removed the SecuROM program, so next time you ran Sims 2 BV, it recreated all the stuff you removed.

Tina G
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 2007 October 26, 13:07:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. It was gone. I checked several times just for the hell of it on several occasions. I was using the recommended no cd crack to play the game. Also while uninstalling, I noticed that strange black box that someone else mention somewhere, pop up for a brief second. I know it was reinstalled during the uninstallation process.
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 2007 October 26, 17:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. It was gone. I checked several times just for the hell of it on several occasions. I was using the recommended no cd crack to play the game. Also while uninstalling, I noticed that strange black box that someone else mention somewhere, pop up for a brief second. I know it was reinstalled during the uninstallation process.

Well, I have uninstalled BV several times and I have yet to observe this, so even if it happened to you, it will not necessarily happen to everyone.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 2007 October 26, 21:57:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Were you on a non-administrator account?

Just spit-balling.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Tina G
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 2007 October 26, 23:32:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lordrichter: Did you see anywhere that I said it would happen to everyone? It DID happen to me. I just thought I would post it here to let anyone else it may happen to know that it has not just happened to them. I beg your pardon it that does not happen to be okay with you. Mmmm 'k?  Tongue

Zazazu: No. I have only ever had one account on this computer as I am the only one who uses it. All I know is that it was really strange. I saw that little black dialog box pop up both while uninstalling H&M junk AND BV. *shrugs* Maybe it was just a freak thing that somehow happened. If it's possible for something freaky to happen; it will likely happen to me...lol.

I'm not worried about it thiough. I got rid of it once. Now I've gotten rid of it again.  Cheesy
keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 2007 October 29, 07:43:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a better way to check: Open up "My Computer". Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME HERE. On the window's menu bar, hit Tools, then Folder Options. Click the View tab. Under "Hidden files and folders" make sure to click on the "Show hidden files and folders" radial button. (Insert beef about Windows hiding crap from computer owners for no valid reason here). Click OK. Now click on the new light-colored folder called Application Data. See a folder called SecuRom? You have it.

This may be a stupid question, but, I want to be sure. I did the steps above and I have a SecuRom folder but it is empty. Can I delete it?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: