More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 07:38:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Has anyone used Omega Drivers?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Has anyone used Omega Drivers?  (Read 5602 times)
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
Has anyone used Omega Drivers?
« on: 2007 October 05, 08:44:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been having the same problem as this person (except I worded it better, but she has pictures.)

My specs checked out as fine, been told I should update the drivers for my Geforce4 MX 440 (64Mb). Only problem is I now discover they don't make drivers for it any more and I have the latest version anyway. So a quick google directed me to Omega Drivers, what are they like? Does anyone have any experience with them or are they even rubbisher?

Also, is upgrading my RAM (From 256Mb) likely to solve the problem, because my boyfriend works in a PC shop and is nicking me some, but if it will solve this annoyance I can badger him to get it quicker. (Yes I know I need more for the game to do anything worth watching, hence the nickerish nature of my boyfriend in general.)

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
Re: Has anyone used Omega Drivers?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 05, 08:48:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used Omega drivers when I had an ATI card, and found them to be awesome. I haven't used them with Nvidia products, though.

Also, YES, upgrade your RAM! 256 MB, I'm surprised you can even run the game. It may not be directly related to the problem you're having, but upgrading will certainly help your game run far better.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 05, 08:52:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've run it on 256 before, way back when it first came out, but I've just moved out of my Mum's house and this computer was second hand and free so can't really complain! Would you say go just over 256, double as a minimum or get as much RAM as possible? I have a stick of 128 lying around somewhere, would that help in the short term?

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 05, 09:03:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm no computer expert, so I don't know how much more RAM would be beneficial to you, just that more would be better. Perhaps you should post your system specs and someone else who knows more about the subject could help.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 05, 10:15:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fair enough, can't hurt to get some advice.

Windows XP
256Mb RAM
AMD Athlon 2GHz
NVidia GeForce4 MX 440 64Mb
Running TS2 at 800x600, but max screen resolution for anything is 1200x1600 (According to video card. According to me, I can't fecking see any of my miniscule icons/fonts at that size.)

No CC (as yet)
Fresh install of base game and seasons, both patched. Base game is CD edition.

DVD ROM
CD Writer

No internet connection as yet (using internet at work)

NFTS File System
Virtual memory set to 1600 or something like that.

That's all I can think of. Anything else?

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 05, 10:37:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're running at the bare minimum specs (especially for Seasons! Wow), so I would definitely up your RAM. I think the lowest I ever played with was 512 mb, back with just the base game, and it was almost unplayable once I added cc. Now I play with 2 Gigs (different computer) and it runs like a dream. Your graphics card could be upgraded, as well. I think 128 mb dedicated is the minimum recommended video memory. This will give you an idea of what you're looking at.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 05, 10:45:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, on the EA website it says this:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

* 1300 MHz processor
    * 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM is recommended for Windows Vista or if you are running with a few expansion packs installed)
    * Windows(R) Vista, Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000 Operating System.
    * 8x or faster CD/DVD drive
    * At least 1.5 GB of additional hard drive space (5.0 GB total is required if installing both The Sims 2 and The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack at the same time.)
    * A T&L-capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM.
+ My video card is listed as supported.

To be fair though EA would put out the bare minimum it needs to run, not play properly, in order to sell more copies, I've heard people say you really should double everything they say and have that as the minumum, which would put my computer under-spec for the most part and on the edge for the rest Cheesy

It's better than I had been playing on though. At my Mum's house I didn't have a supported video card or that fast a processor, and I was running Uni with a small amount of CC installed as well.

It would be handy if someone released the minimum specs you need to run the game with full graphics options, every single EP and lots of CC Grin

I think Gamespot did a test once, maybe I'll have a look for that.

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 October 06, 03:51:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a thread here that discusses the optimum configuration for the game: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,4293.0.html.

Minimum specs are just that: minimum. The program will run, but that's it. You need to look at the recommended specs for any PC game to tell what configuration will run the game smoothly. Even the recommended specs usually won't let you turn on all the bells and whistles.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 October 06, 04:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

he he, they don't want to frighten you with what you really need to run the sims at full steam.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 October 08, 10:06:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hehe. It broke. Badly. The graphics are now so glitchy I can't play at all, so I'm having fun on Bodyshop until I can get some decentness for my PC.

I might try uninstalling and just put the base game back on, just to see if that will work better. I only got to play on it for about a week anyway, and then I can have something to do while I wait to earn enough to upgrade Cheesy

Stupidly I bought OFB too. Must resist temptation!

Shonie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 October 08, 17:28:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Omega drivers are awesome.  I've used them with my GeForce4.  However, last time I checked he wasn't upgrading them for Nvidia at this time.  That may have changed since I last checked though.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: