More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 10:59:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Judgement Call: Bon Voyage
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Judgement Call: Bon Voyage  (Read 10935 times)
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
Judgement Call: Bon Voyage
« on: 2007 October 04, 22:34:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd like to know if the time is right to install it. I haven't got it yet, and all the drama has put me off, but there also seems to be some cool stuff that I'd like to have in my game. There are several factors that would influence my decision, and I'd like the opinion of those of you who have it:

*Stability- Is it still too buggy? Even with Awesomeware installed?
*Anti-piracy- Are there easy ways to avoid the dreaded Securom? Will the ARR-ficial version be free of this taint?
*Launcher- Is it easily skipped?
*Lag- Have all the preventable sources of lag been stopped? Are there workarounds?
*Overall opinion- Do I really want this in my game? Is is worth of a gig of my space to install it?

Any other factors that influenced you are certainly welcome. I'm pretty happy right now with just Seasons, so I can accept a "no," but I'd like to play it if it's worth it.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Judgement Call: Bon Voyage
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 04, 22:50:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think your best bet is to read the threads on BV in the Podium.  There's some very good information there about SecuROM, avoiding it, using the .exe file to launch, lag, etc.  No sense in reinventing the wheel and there's been plenty said.

As to its stability, I've had no play issues since installing the antiredundancy and antiprank hacks.    Others may have.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 04, 23:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose you're right. I have been reading and lurking in the podium, but I don't think I ever found a solid answer about the stability of the game. I figured since I was asking about that, I might as well ask about everything. Good to know that your game functions well, though I might wait for at least a second opinion on that. Although, I'm still not sure about which version online is free of Securom. I heard the "fairlight" edition is fine, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for that one. I've used BTJunkie in the past on a recomendation, and it served me well, but with all the options to choose from, I don't know which ones don't have Securom, whether it be all of them or only a few.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 05, 01:20:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want my opinion, the BV version is better than Seasons with respect to speed and stability. I haven't seen any sign of this "lag" other people are screaming about, but then I never connect to the internet when I run Windows.

The Launcher is very easily skipped, in fact the readme file in support tells you how to do this.

BV is very much worth it if you like the idea of beach lots.  Grin

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 05, 03:01:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The lag problem almost seems to be a random issue. I've seen people with higher specs than me saying they have lag. I haven't had any lag whatsoever, and I play on a laptop! It's a macbook pro, mind you, so it's a pretty powerful one, but still. My game loads faster than ever, with over 6 Gigs of cc. The only time there's any lag is when one of my sims is getting a sunburn or a tan, but it's just a few seconds. Doesn't bother me, much.

The launcher is easily bypassed. The most annoying thing about that, to me, was that I was used to clicking the shortcut icon, and going to get a drink or something and coming back to find my game loading. With the launcher, I'd come back to find I was supposed to have hit "play". That's what made me bypass the launcher, not any of the spyware talk. Yeah, I'm goofy like that. Tongue 

I've had the same bugs I've seen documented elsewhere: the taxi taking off for vacation, again, as soon as it drops the family off at home (my sims don't just camp, they re-re-re-re camp!), not being able to walk to other lots, things like that (many of which have fixes, now). And the same annoyances: ENDLESS sandcastle building. Thank god for no autonomy hacks. My sims were wanting to go build sandcastles in a friggin' thunderstorm, and I had to lock them in their house. Bwahahaha... I played with free will off most off the time to stop that Sea Chantey obsession.

But, all in all, I love, love LOVE this EP. BV is, IMHO, the best EP since Nightlife. I have become so addicted to the game, again. Unfortunately, I have very little time to actually play it. I'm still at my office right now, and it's almost 11 pm. I'm jonesin'. Seriously.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 05, 03:12:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Sea Chanty is awesomesauce, though. Too bad they can't do it in groups like with the pirate captain. YARR!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 05, 03:37:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll bet they can once someone makes that non-autonomous, but still in the pie menu. (Edited to finish this sentence! )

This is what happens when you take away the Sea Chantey skill while they're singing. Sim me sounds totally hammered.

And this is why I wanted them to stop.  Tongue (There's even peeing in this one! I turned the camera away, but then they started singing in the bathroom.  Lips sealed )

edit: the video is jerky because I was filming on high settings with sound enabled. It doesn't do that in gameplay.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 05, 03:44:06 by Brynne » Logged
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 October 05, 06:53:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BV is faster for me than Seasons and has less lag. I have two Nvidia video cards and haven't had any video errors. However, for me, BV doesn't add all that much to the game. I do like the new objects, and vacations are okay, but the only change in my main hood has been that nearly all of my Sims constantly want to buy vacation houses. I won't let any of them learn the sea chanty etc. until I can find a hack that stompinates them to my satisfaction, because I know that's something that would drive me insane.

So I'd say it's stable enough, but doesn't add a whole lot, though the speed bonus and new objects have made it worthwhile for me.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 October 05, 06:58:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with Val.  This is, in my opinion, the best EP to date.  I've had a couple of little hiccups, but nothing major and certainly nothing that has put me off the game, or made me regret buying it. 

My advice..go for it.  Get it. 

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 October 05, 07:04:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I won't let any of them learn the sea chanty etc. until I can find a hack that stompinates them to my satisfaction, because I know that's something that would drive me insane.

Aww, you don't want a continuous stream of

Ro ho ho, a lipey liber nee
smailing ferney silder
Life is but a dream

Uh, okay. I don't remember the rest.  Tongue
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 October 05, 07:43:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It hasn't added as much to the game as Seasons did for me but it's definitely worth the little bit of pain to install it. I like the break in scenery that going on vacation gives and the beach lots are great. I have noticed intermittent lag but I don't think I've been so badly affected as I have small 'hoods thanks to using clean templates. My alphabet legacy has only just got to 274 characters and that's with 74 MATYians swelling the ranks.

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 October 05, 07:44:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought the last line was along the lines of "a pirates life for me"...  But I try not to listen too closely when I let my sims learn it.  Undecided
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 October 05, 07:59:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll bet they can once someone makes that non-autonomous, but still in the pie menu. (Edited to finish this sentence! )
I thought I already did reduce the autonomousness of it. If you have antivacationactions, they shouldn't autonomously attempt it outside of VacationLand.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 October 05, 10:45:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do have antivacationactions, and it did cut the autonomy. But it doesn't show in the pie menu as an option.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 October 05, 10:55:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do have antivacationactions, and it did cut the autonomy. But it doesn't show in the pie menu as an option.
It doesn't? You can't sing it at all anymore? Because that doesn't happen in my game. Not sure what you mean.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 October 05, 11:16:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oops, my bad. I forgot which of my sims have the skill, and which don't.   Tongue

Yes, Sea Chantey does show up.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 October 05, 19:02:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought I already did reduce the autonomousness of it. If you have antivacationactions, they shouldn't autonomously attempt it outside of VacationLand.
Yeah, thanks for that. I never got to see the viral nature of the sea chantey, and it couldn't make me happier. Gives my sims more time for water balloon fights.

Overall, I'd say get it, then get rid of SecuRom, use no-cd crack. Vacations will barely be happening in my game, but I love the Tai Chi, love the new roofs, love the furniture (lots of it actually matches!), and beach lots are the best.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 October 05, 19:30:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was getting the feeling that I was the lone player who actually likes some of the vacation stuff Cheesy

I like the tai chi too, and I like the hula, and the bow. I find the bow elegant and classy I don't like the slap-dance, and since hearing things about teleporting, I won't let them learn that either.

The beach lots are nice, hard to place, but nice. I have to see if I can find some hood templates that allow for beach lots in regular hoods. The 'walk-to' option is nice as well.

The one thing I truly dislike is SecuRom. It hasn't done anything yet, but even the very idea that someone put something un-erasable on my computer without my consent is truly bothering me.

The tea serving, and the ma-jong are also nice, I just wish they wouldn't do it endlessly. Less advertising of those two would be nice. Another thing I like is the grand piano, but again, my simmies can't seem to stay away from it. A non-autonomous for that would be nice as well (or a lot less advertising).

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 October 05, 21:25:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the axe throwing thing, and the log rolling thing.

I may like the tai chi if I could actually find anyone doing it in the asian hood.... Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 October 05, 21:32:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glad to see such a positive response. I'll probably obtain it once I figure which source is the best. BTJunkie offers a varied selection, but the only .iso I found was in Spanish. It's good enough, and I can fix the language, but it doesn't say anything about Securom, so I don't know if it has it or not. Does anyone know a good place to go for an image without Securom?
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 October 05, 21:36:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do love the vacation stuffs! If all it had were the beach lots, I'd install it just for that alone. My Simmies are all getting to be Rich Simmies with oveanfront properties right now.  Cheesy

I also love the massages, the dances, and the sending them on tours. And if you build your own hotels with only a few hotel rooms, the lag isn't bad, even with all the coming and going and suntannings and treasure/seashell digging.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 October 05, 21:58:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check the "BV with no CD" thread, kutto -- there's links there to good images.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 October 05, 22:01:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fankoo.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 October 06, 02:05:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also love the massages
Yes, the massages are going to be very useful to me soon. Edmund, the resident skeez, is going to be running a massage parlor with "extra" services offered.

As for beach-ready terrains...check MTS2. There's been a lot of them submitted lately. I also shared my terrain for Queen's Cove recently. It's at MTS2. I should put it and my terrains for the mainland (downtown) and college up as a package. They were built in SC4 to go together. College is really cool...it's a small plateau coming off of a mountain, with a huge drop-off into the sea.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 21, 16:13:23 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 October 06, 02:23:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks bunches, Zazazu, I grabbed it (City Donut).

I was a little shocked at the small file size, lol. I guess I've come to expect that most stuff for DL is huge nowadays. I'll stick it in and try it out. I have to muddle my way through the empty template/clean neighborhood/etc. stuff for now. I didn't know that 'delete all characters' was now a bad thing. Thank goodness I haven't attempted it lately.

I'll also check MTS2. I've had a few difficulties lately downloading from there, but I'm a patient woman. After all, can't beat free, can you?

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: