More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 13:30:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Bon Voyage inconsistently refusing to load!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Bon Voyage inconsistently refusing to load!  (Read 14888 times)
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Bon Voyage inconsistently refusing to load!
« on: 2007 September 28, 18:30:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've already whined about this in the chat, but I'm going to whine again here to see if anyone has any ideas.  I've tried searching the forums for similar cases, but not come up with anything useful.

Bon Voyage just won't load.
I am playing a perfectly legal, pre-ordered, Amazon bought, DVD edition game.  All EPs and crap packs installed; no problems up until now.  Daemon Tools is installed on the computer, but not running, neither is any other "shady" software.

This is what happens; I start the game (currently bypassing the launcher, but the same crap happened when I was using it); I can hear the DVD drive start to churn, doing it's stuff; frisking me to see if I'm a thief, then after a few seconds it stops and nothing more happens.
I open the task manager and see that Sims2EP6.exe is running, hogging a fair amount of memory, but no CPU resources.  I have to end the process manually and try again.

The thing is, and it's a fucking annoying thing, that in about one time out of ten the game actually starts!  Not consistently; sometimes it will run twice in a row with no problems, sometimes it will start the fifteenth time.  I've dried shutting down all unneeded processes: same shit.
I've tried cloaking software, even though I have nothing to hide; no luck.
I've done all the old tricks of deleting groups.cashe and trying to load the game without downloads.  In fact, if I do remove the Sims 2 folder from my documents, the game will generate the logs folder, but nothing else.

The computer in question is currently not connected to Intertubes, although that will be remedied in about 4 days and 15 hours (and counting).

Gwilly people do not like computer behaving inconsistent!

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
Re: Bon Voyage inconsistently refusing to load!
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 28, 19:19:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried windowed mode?

To run The Sims 2 Bon Voyage Expansion Pack in windowed mode, first create a shortcut to the game by right-clicking on sims2ep6.exe and selecting "Create Shortcut." Then, right-click the shortcut and select properties. At the end of the "target" line, add a space and the text "-w" (without quotes). Click OK, and then launch the game by double-clicking on the shortcut.

PlayBoyRobbie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 28, 19:21:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a simliair issue for me and it was my cd/dvd laser dieing and I had to get them bastards at geek squad to install a new cd/dvd drive and it worked the cd would spin then stop then spin again and stop.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 28, 19:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always play in windowed mode.

It's not a DVD-drive issue.  If it was, I'd get an error message of CD not found.  I can open the DVD just fine, explore the content, and I had no problem installing the game.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
SilentDream
Asinine Airhead

Diva

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 28, 19:53:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have yet to obtain Bon Voyage but this happened to me with Seasons, it would load just whenever it felt like. But when instructed to load, it would spina nd do it stuff... take up memory... and not DO anything. Or take... you know a good 20 minutes before it would decide to load (and with 30 minute loading times due to cc, it just wasn't worth it then) The only thing I could do to make it run consistently was to use a cd image.

With broken wings, we'll fly away
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 28, 20:25:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried running the game in compatibility mode?
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 28, 20:32:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get the EXACT same problem.  1 out of every 10 times it loads.  Lately it seems to go almost every time though without problems.  I've had this bug ever since the sims came out.  I too also run the game in window mode so i can do other stuff while i play cause lets face it sometimes speeding through days or nights on triple speed is boring.  Have you tried playing in full screen?  Does it make any difference to your chance to load it?  The only thing i can tell you to get around the bug is find out your normal load time when you do get in as in icon to game game load screen.  Mines about 10-15 seconds if i don't see a game screen by then i know i can crash it and reload it.
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 28, 20:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm getting the same thing since installing BV. I haven't found a way to make it work consistently as of yet.

cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 28, 21:15:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been having load issues as well...which I never had before so it irks me. Not as badly as you though Gwill. Mine will fail to load every one in a while...a few times a week I week I guess. I've gotten "no disk" once. All the other times have been launcher-click play- black screen and locks the whole computer up and I have to reboot.

The computer is only a few months old and way over specs so I know it has to be something with the darn game.

I would also love feedback on this.

Cass Smiley

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 September 28, 21:36:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same problem here.  Pretty much identical situation to Gwill apart from it being a CD version.

Gets really frustrating having to keep opening task manager and kill the process and try again over and over and over...

Ideas would be helpful!
Gamblor
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 September 28, 22:12:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use cracks and you won't have to use your CD or DVD rom drive again.

A Sims Nightmare!
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

INTP/J: Bork!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 September 28, 23:01:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use cracks and you won't have to use your CD or DVD rom drive again.

It does it for me too, I'm running a no-CD'd version.

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 September 28, 23:24:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The computer is only a few months old and way over specs so I know it has to be something with the darn game.

I have all EPs, don't run the game in windowed mode, have no Daemon Tools or cracks, and have no loading issues, so I don't think it is the game.  My load time is two minutes, nine seconds and my rig is four years old.

There has to be some common denominator.    But what?

ETA XP SP2; my account is the administrator.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 29, 03:19:46 by ZiggyDoodle » Logged
prattle
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 September 29, 00:56:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried playing in Windows 95/98 compatibility mode?
There's no reason why I should have to do this on my Windows XP computer, but someone else suggested trying it somewhere and it fixed my problems with Bon Voyage failing to load.  Tongue
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 September 29, 01:27:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it the operating system? XP Home as opposed to XP Professional? Is everyone running as admin? I had to wrap some script around the shortcuts for my son and his g/f to log them on as admin to play the game from an image, MS does some odd things with rights and privileges.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 September 29, 01:43:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

XP pro. SP2, not sure on admin status.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 September 29, 01:47:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All of this is directly attributable to the Evil That Is SecuROM. More Awesome Than You does not condone the purchase of SecuROM spyware-infested games.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 September 29, 02:33:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this problem before BV, forget when it started doing it but every so often it would just decide it didn't want to load after all  Roll Eyes

oddly enough I have not had the problem since installing BV

XP pro, with SP2 probably
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 September 29, 08:26:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a similar problem a couple of EPs back - I had to uninstall Daemon Tools before it would run without problems.  Now I set up games with a no-CD crack if I can be bothered.  I take good care of my disks though and don't usually have problems.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 September 29, 12:54:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose this is a stupid question (because I'm good at them) but have the people experiencing sometimes load tried deleting the groups.cache from their My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder. A fubared one of these can cause this sometimes (leading to never) loading problem.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 September 29, 18:44:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've *never* had this problem, but I always use a no-cd crack or image. The idea of using my DVDR as a dongle-loader is like a slap in the face. Give me a USB dongle and I'd be okay with that.

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2007 September 29, 19:18:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My BV loads about 1 time in 4 currently.   I have taken to watching it in the task manager.  It goes to 110,000K and then drops to either 43,000 something or 44,000 something.  If it drops to 43,000something it's not going to finish loading.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 September 29, 19:27:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My experiences might throw a bit of a wrench into figuring this whole thing out. I've never had this problem. I play on a dell laptop, 512 MB RAM, 2.6 ghz intel celeron, intel extreme onboard graphics card (not T&L capable, obviously), 64 MB video RAM, XP home with SP2. It wasn't even a terribly good computer when I got it in 2003. Until Seasons I always played from the CD, but then my CD/DVD drive decided to go insane so I switched to using an image. With Seasons I used the image + YASU. With BV I have to use an image + YASU + a noCDcrack. It always has loaded on the first try. My boyfriend plays on a desktop with similar specs, I'll have to ask him if he's had loading problems when he gets home. But then again, he has random crashes, bizarre graphical errors, and a boatload of other issues because he does VBTs quite often, so his experiences may not be helpful.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 September 29, 19:39:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was having loading problems with Seasons- the whole 1 out of 3 or 4 thing, where I'd have to bring up task manager to watch it/cancel it out and try again.

Now, all of a sudden, it's just loading sllloowwwwlllyyy. Well, it started after it ate my Riverblossoms neighborhood, so the game is obviously borked anyway. I'm just waiting until I'm done being lazy for the reinstall.  Cheesy

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 September 30, 12:06:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I went with the cracked exe + cloaked image approach and the game now runs perfectly every time, and loading time is back in the range it was before BV.

To EAxis I just want to say: If I have to go to shady sites and download cracks anyway, risking trojans and other crap, why should I bother paying for the game in the first place?
Trust me; it won't happen again.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: