More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 22:12:59

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  No one can sleep in beds...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: No one can sleep in beds...  (Read 3444 times)
Count
PA
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
No one can sleep in beds...
« on: 2008 May 24, 18:38:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Basically, Sims who attempt to use beds, just normal, unmodded beds, can only use beds to Relax on initially.

I've tried pretty much everything that ModTheSims2 suggest in searching for a reason for this bizarre problem, including having the game recreate the entire The Sims 2 folder from scratch.  I am thinking that an obvious solution would be to raze my Sims installs and then reinstall the game and expansions.

But then, I looked around on this board and found that I had committed great evil by packaging an occupied lot on another computer, sticking it on my USB drive, then teleporting it to the current computer.  Knowing now that this is a very very bad thing to do, I wondered if it was possible that it is SUCH a very bad thing to do that it would indeed cause my actual game to explode.

I'm also wondering if it is fixable, if my teleported occupied lot destroyed my game, or if there is another fixable reason that the game, lacking all mods and hacks, would still have this issue.  I'm willing to put in the effort to try to repair this and save my Sims from fiery death if possible.

If it did happen because of the teleported lot, it happened fast--about a Sim week.

If it's not possible to fix and rescue my Sims, I'll accept that, but I figured I'd better ask before I try reinstalling the game and then farking it all to hell again by restoring my backed up files.
geekgirl
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Re: No one can sleep in beds...
« Reply #1 on: 2008 May 24, 18:48:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you take out your downloads folder and still obtain the same result?

jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 May 24, 19:30:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not that this will help but...

I recently had a problem on one lot where a bed got corrupted or something. At some point, the sim assigned to use that bed started displaying an icon of the bed with black bedding (instead of yellow) in her queue. I didn't think too much of it, since she could still use the bed normally. The problem started when her younger sister aged into a child and I assigned her to the other bed in that same room. That bed couldn't be slept in, just jumped on or relaxed on. Even when manually directed to sleep in the bed, the action would drop out of queue. I tried deleting and replacing the bed that couldn't be slept in, but the problem remained. Later, I deleted the bed that COULD be slept in, and replaced that one, and lo and behold, both beds in the room returned to normal usability, plus the icon started displaying properly again. Dunno why.
Count
PA
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 May 24, 20:52:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you take out your downloads folder and still obtain the same result?

Alas, yes.  I backed up my entire "The Sims 2" folder and removed it from the "EA Games" folder, apparently that forces the game to rebuild the entire thing, so there was absolutely no custom content at all in it, just the game as it is when it's first started...and the beds, they do not work.  I won't say that *none* of the beds work, but I've tried a dozen of them in several lots in three neighborhoods, so I'm pretty confident this is a global problem.  I tried to narrow down the issue in several configurations, whittling it down from custom content problems to possible other problems in my game's user data, until I appear to be left with nothing but the game itself, and beds are still borked.

Right now I'm pretty well resigned to having to reinstall the blasted game (I have NL, Uni, Seasons, and Celebration Stuff, but none were installed recently), and, while annoying, that's do-able...I am really concerned that if I restore my backed up data, it will break the game again, since now I know that moving occupied lots into a game is Very Very Bad.  I did have InSIM and FFS Debugger (but not debug mode) active when this happened, but it does pretty well boggle my mind imagining that either of them would corrupt the game itself.  Potentially blow up my Sims, yeah, but not the actual game!  So...I don't know at this point if I need to nuke just the game, or all of my Sims as well.  I'd rather try the potentially very tedious task of fixing my neighborhoods if I just happened to be unlucky and some game system data got corrupted.  Figure they need some repair work anyway.

jennydee, I did try something like that, thinking that some of the beds got glitched, but it wasn't that.  Glad it worked for you though, and it's something I'll keep in mind if anything starts acting up like that.

EDIT: ARGH.  I have no clue why this worked, but I just went back in with all my custom content just as it was, for a final check--it appears that it was a lot that had glitched, as when I entered it in debug mode, all the residents were reset and now the beds work on all lots when they didn't before.

This game can be so frustratingly random.  Anyhow...*headdesk*  It works now...so...never mind.
« Last Edit: 2008 May 25, 03:26:32 by Princess Artemis » Logged
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 May 26, 04:46:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EDIT: ARGH.  I have no clue why this worked, but I just went back in with all my custom content just as it was, for a final check--it appears that it was a lot that had glitched, as when I entered it in debug mode, all the residents were reset and now the beds work on all lots when they didn't before.

Ah-- sadorandom at its finest. Like a fresh brewed cup of piss shoved in your face first thing in the morning.

I'm glad the lot did fix itself, however. You should probably feel lucky, but I'm supposing that the glitch in and of itself made you unlucky.   Wink
Count
PA
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 May 29, 02:44:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah-- sadorandom at its finest. Like a fresh brewed cup of piss shoved in your face first thing in the morning.

I'm glad the lot did fix itself, however. You should probably feel lucky, but I'm supposing that the glitch in and of itself made you unlucky.   Wink

Sadorandom...I like that word when I'm not being subjected to it! Smiley  But yeah, I feel lucky in an everything's going to blow up in my face soon anyway kind of way.  I did learn some important things tho', so when the inevitable occurs, I can avoid doing very bad things next time.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: