More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:44:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Raiders of the Lost Sim
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Raiders of the Lost Sim  (Read 21745 times)
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
Re: Raiders of the Lost Sim
« Reply #50 on: 2005 October 17, 23:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also like the first SimCity best. Also, loved Cesaer, Pharoh and other Sierra games but that was before I found Sid's games. Civilization and Pirates kind of ruined the other games for me. Started with CivIII, so I can't compare it to the earlier versions.

I'm sure some marketing wonk head has already done a study on this, but I'm wondering what appeals to the stereotypical ADULT Sims 2 player - game features, strategy, etc.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2005 October 17, 23:55:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sure some marketing wonk head has already done a study on this, but I'm wondering what appeals to the stereotypical ADULT Sims 2 player - game features, strategy, etc.

It's fairly simple, I think.  On the surface, Sims 2 is an animated dollhouse.  At its core it's a resource management game.  This gives players a wide range of things to do. 

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2005 October 18, 04:40:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

About five years ago, there was a new phrase developed in our house called "People Games."  This is what my then 2-year-old son decided I played.  I would get a new game and he'd say, 'Oh, Mom, you got a new People Game!'
That reminds me of a bbs siggy I saw, the poster quoted his 4 yr old brother I think, the child said something like, "you know, the game you play where people stand on the sidewalk and wait for the house to be built". I cracked up over that as it makes quite a good description of the way I play.

I agree there aren't a lot of games out there that appeal to women... I've also given Tropico a shot but I found the scenarios were ridiculously hard and the open-play got too bogged down too quickly.  You could start on a nice little town but by the time it got up to any size at all (like 1/3 of a larger island) everything became so inefficient the city would basically melt down.

OOOHHH! I thought it was just me. I always tried to build too much at once admittedly, but even so the game never seemed to find a balance. I do like the game and wish my CD weren't corrupt, adored the music! Never got the expansion. Wish they'd make more like Tropico!

I'd like to try Harvest Moon, I've heard so much about it. I like most of the Tycoon games and the older sim games though I heard there was simplanet but have never seen it.

Theme Hospital anyone? Starship Titanic? Startopia? Ghost Masters? I've enjoyed all of these. Must try the leggo, I have a demo.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
noname
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2005 October 18, 04:54:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

witch, you're probably thinking about SimEarth. The game sucked though.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2005 October 18, 06:53:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oooh!  theme hospital!

had a ball with that one!

I even had a bit of fun with worms, but could never master the bazooka...

I've looked at zoo tycoon a few times, and all the roller coaster tycoon games, but was never really impressed with the way it sounded on the box, sounds like it may be worth checking them out...

Ness
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: 2005 October 18, 08:30:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The little guy said I should post here about a software company that makes games suitable for everyone.  If I remember right they're called Everybody Games but I'm not sure where the one we have is at the moment.  I believe it's called Penguin Puzzle and it's a blast to play.  I bought it for me and the short one ran off with it. Wink

There's a sequal to Tropico which I think is called Pirate's Cove.  I've read that it's a lot better than the original.  I just pretty much quit buying other games until the prices come way down because I end up not playing them enough to justify the cost.  The Sims is another matter all together.  There are times when (I'm embarrassed to admit) I play somewhere around 8 hours a day.  Health issues prevent me from doing many things at times so that's when I put in quite a bit of playtime.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2005 October 18, 08:51:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Roller coaster tycoon and that genre seem to be about micro-management. Great at first, then boring maintenance. There aren't that many challenge scenarios to be drawn out really, most customers, most profit, fastest growth, and so on and on.

I'd like to see a really accurate hospital simulation I just realised, after talking about Theme Hospital.

My 'quick game' of the moment is Bejewelled Deluxe, a popcap game. Lovely little interface, great sounds and a good combo of luck and skill.

laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2005 October 18, 13:02:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh yeah, Ghost Master. Had a great time with that. What happened to the sequel that was supposed to be coming out?

Meh...
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: 2005 October 18, 15:53:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My favorite strategy games:  Sim City (at which I sucked), Rollercoaster Tycoon (original), Zoo Tycoon (original), and Tropico 2 (yes, my islands also melted but heck I made millions!). 

If you can get your hands on Grim Fandango (adventure), I highly recommend it.  It's old and the graphics are blocky, but the humor is unforgettable and the puzzles are not too easy/hard. 

If you're into sneakiness and stealing, you HAVE to try Thief 2.  Excellent game!  Some scenarios are a little creepy, but still exhilirating.  You may forget to breathe.
« Last Edit: 2005 October 18, 15:59:52 by Muisie » Logged
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: 2005 October 18, 18:59:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't play anything where I might forget to breathe!  I do that often enough anyway--I'd be found passed out on the floor if I played that! LOL

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2005 October 19, 04:51:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I forgot about Grim Fandango. I actually own it too, first game I bought for my 166Mhz PC. Beautiful settings, sort of a cross between baroque and jazz. Witty story too as the central character, in the underworld, attempts to figure out why events are going awry and dead people are being processed oddly. Wonderful beatnik poetry generator in one bar.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: