More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 21:25:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  The Armory
| | |-+  Fucked Up Orchard Tree Fix for BV p0
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Fucked Up Orchard Tree Fix for BV p0  (Read 40146 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Fucked Up Orchard Tree Fix for BV p0
« on: 2007 September 11, 16:32:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, Maxis took something that wasn't really broken and fucked it up worse. Hooray.

orchardtreefix.zip

Fucked up Orchard Tree Fix for TS2BV p0
Made by: Flying Fish Systems (J. M. Pescado)

Congratulations to: Draklixa!

Special Thanks To:
Hobbsee the Scrawny Pencil Neck
Fat, Hairy-Bellied Ness
Rohina the Ugly Butted

INSTRUCTIONS:
Place in your MYDOCU~1\EAGAME~1\THESIM~1\DOWNLO~1 directory.

BUGS FIXED:
Orchard trees no longer fucked up. Should now properly Tend/Spray Many again.
Because Maxis fucked with it for no good reason and broke it.

COMPATIBILITY:
This hack is fully compatible with all FFS hacks. For TS2BV p0.

SIDE EFFECTS:
May cause computer damage, incontinence, explosion of user's head, coma, death,
and/or halitosis.

WARNING:
Do not open, crush, dispose of in fire, put in backwards, short-circuit, or mix
with non-awesome hacks - may explode, leak, or catch fire, resulting in injury
and/or death.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: Fucked Up Orchard Tree Fix for BV p0
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 11, 20:59:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh for crying out loud not again.  How the hell can you break an item that shouldn't even be touched by the expansion?  Man their such idiots.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 11, 22:17:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, this was apparently a valiant attempt to prevent a reinit from clearing out the tree states. They just neglected to notice that Node 0x11 was killing the Init altogether. I've made mistakes like that before (never released a mistake like that, but I have made them).

The "fix" is still a coding WTF, though. I mean, doesn't this code walk on a part of the stack you should never touch?  Huh

This sort of coding makes me want to puke. It's a WTF no matter how you look at it.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 15, 17:21:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However, Dizzy, you have no doubt heard of such things as Quality Control..........But have they?

Zephyr Zodiac
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 15, 22:16:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

QA is great if you have the tools that assure you of a quality delivery. Here's a good example:

In the same amount of time I spent fixing one little bug that I later deemed a moot issue in simantics, I wrote and debugged an entire suite of gender-preference functions in Lua. 10 hours to debug one line of code vs. 10 hours to debug 100 lines of code. You do the math.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 15, 22:22:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe EAxis should do the maths.

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 16, 02:07:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem is not their choice of LUA or SimAntics, but the fact that they create their Simantics as unnecessarily mutilated spaghetti. If they had followed some kind of STRUCTURE in their programming, they wouldn't have these problems.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 16, 20:27:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Case of (a) too many cooks and (b) the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.....?

Zephyr Zodiac
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 17, 10:29:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Case of (a) too many cooks and (b) the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.....?

...or c) securing one's job by creating bazillions of lines of uncommented spaghetti code.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 September 17, 13:39:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...or c) securing one's job by creating bazillions of lines of uncommented spaghetti code.

...or d) as happened at one of my old jobs, getting a copy of code where all the comments were in Sanskrit.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 September 17, 13:52:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect a bunch of inexperienced programmers who have never been taught structured programming are using a graphical development system, sort of like someone tried to turn software development into a computer game.  Even if they knew and used proper structured techniques, the end result from the graphical environment may end up looking like spaghetti code, even if it's sorted properly in the BHAV editor.

This graphical development system is, of course, Will Wright's baby, and has as much chance of being scrapped as the Pope has of converting to Buddhism.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 September 17, 20:54:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the problem with visual programming. (Not that I've done Sims-like stuff, but I've done web and random other game making utilities). It pastes in your elements as you put them in, but with no regard for the greater whole. So you get a shitload of extra useless crap that clogs stuff and produces unexpected/desirable results. And it's becoming clearer with every EP that they don't do any more testing than to load the game on 20 different system types and say "Yup, it runs. Put a check on it."

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 September 18, 01:29:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The graphical development system is *not* Will Wright's idea. He stole that from hardware designers who need this kind of flow-charting in order to make sense of hardware states. Hardware, however, is HUGELY different from software. What works for designing hardware will not work for designing software. It's two totally different environments.

Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 September 18, 09:34:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't mean to imply that he invented the idea, just that the system was his baby.  I can imagine how much a graphical development system would help hardware designers; I used to draw the schematic and logic diagrams for documentation for a living.

I've seen a good graphical system for object oriented design called Rational Rose, which has probably been merged with something else since then.  Some things just lend themselves to graphical methods.

But flow charts?  Structured programming made flow charts obsolete back in the mid 70's for any procedural language that had the proper structures built in.  You could even force assembly language into structures.  Apparently the development system used at Maxis is nothing more than a system to allow programming by flow chart.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 September 18, 12:19:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen a good graphical system for object oriented design called Rational Rose, which has probably been merged with something else since then. 

It's the "Rational Analyst Suite" now, with a whole lot more tools.  Oh, and it's owned by IBM now, too.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
jase
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 September 21, 03:47:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One thing I've noticed in BV is a marked change in "style".  The code has gone from borked to cluster-fucked.  One only has to unravel the entrails of that code abortion that is Hammock WooHoo to find evidence of this.  My suspicion is that most of the core developers/designers have moved over to Sims 3 (I think this process began with Pets and is now in full swing with BV).  The junior boy league with L's on their forehead have rushed in to fill the vacuum.  I suspect from this point forward, the expansion chaos will only worsen.  Undecided

Isn't it about time you did your part in God's plan?  Go on, install InTeen today.  What would Jesus do?
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Horrible Halfwit

DON'T PANIC!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2007 September 21, 20:39:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, you probably have that correct, Jase.  I knew something was up when I noticed the gigantic memory leak problems I was getting after installing Pets long ago.  I'd forgotten about Sims 3 coming out in '09, so yes, giving this to the Peewee League to code explains a few things.

I used to buy every damn thing EAxis put out for this game, but fuck it.  I'd much rather take my chances with a cracked copy than spend $40 on a buggy piece of shit destined to put me in a straight-jacket trying to decipher it.  And hell, it's not just this game.  NBA Live '07 for the 360 came borked right out of the box.  Game play was fine...until you tried to challenge someone online.  No, screw that notion because all you received were connection time-out errors.  And a fix?  Well, no.  EA decided to fix it for the PS3 version, but 360 owners were left without.  No patch, nothing.  Basically, a big "Thank you for forking over $60; now piss off."

And the infinite blue loop problem?  Bad Nvidia drivers, shoddy game engine, or both?  You decide.  I fixed that problem by installing an ATI card.  Bah, you see my love for this company.

In any case, thanks Pescado for this.

Too many retards
cum heer n tipe jus liek dis
ENGLISH, LEARN YOU SOME

INTP, if you care about that.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 September 21, 22:25:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the peeweesalso explains 'Hobbies'.

IS anyone beisdes me worried about Spore quality? and the possiblity/probability of it coming with Securom?
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 September 21, 23:29:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh. Spore will be a bloated nightmare. Just you watch.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Horrible Halfwit

DON'T PANIC!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2007 September 22, 01:16:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it ever coming out?  I seem to recall multiple delays and push-backs with it's release date.

Ha, I still can't wait to see how they deal with custom content considering I've heard all sorts of shit about that.

Too many retards
cum heer n tipe jus liek dis
ENGLISH, LEARN YOU SOME

INTP, if you care about that.
CrystylVu
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 October 07, 02:01:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does this stop the jump bug for children with gold badges that drops the macro launch to do the gardening from theire queues?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: