More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 12:56:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How to delete item from Windows-shortcut menu, etc. (fixed)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How to delete item from Windows-shortcut menu, etc. (fixed)  (Read 5242 times)
PlayLives
Irritating Ignoramus

I don't speak Awesome.

View Profile
How to delete item from Windows-shortcut menu, etc. (fixed)
« on: 2007 September 17, 04:11:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I right click on my desktop, in the shortcut menu where it has "arrange icons by"; "refresh"; "properties", etc. I have a "dead" link, meaning I uninstalled the software but the shortcut is still in the menu. How do I remove it?

thanks

Also - can anyone help me on why my neighborhood is flashing red after installing BV. I have tried updating drivers, adjusting settings and nothing is working.  Cry
« Last Edit: 2007 September 17, 21:19:09 by PlayLives » Logged
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: How to delete item from Windows-shortcut menu, etc.
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 17, 10:21:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I right click on my desktop, in the shortcut menu where it has "arrange icons by"; "refresh"; "properties", etc. I have a "dead" link, meaning I uninstalled the software but the shortcut is still in the menu. How do I remove it?

What piece of software put the option there in the first place?  There is probably a stray registry key causing the choice to remain in your menu, but without more information I can't really tell you how to go about deleting it.

Also - can anyone help me on why my neighborhood is flashing red after installing BV. I have tried updating drivers, adjusting settings and nothing is working.  Cry

Computer specifications?  Also, what custom content are you using?
PlayLives
Irritating Ignoramus

I don't speak Awesome.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 17, 12:23:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What piece of software put the option there in the first place?  There is probably a stray registry key causing the choice to remain in your menu, but without more information I can't really tell you how to go about deleting it.

ATI Catalyst Control Center. When I was trying to update my driver I installed it, but then I uninstalled and the link stayed on the shortcut menu.

Computer specifications?  Also, what custom content are you using?

I'm not using any hacks, etc. I took everything out. (see post in Oops You Broke It - thanks)
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 17, 13:44:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only good way I have found to get rid of CCC is to completely remove all ATI related software (including the actual video drivers) and then use DriverCleaner (I think they make a free version) in Safe Mode to kill everything with the ATI prefix.  This should get rid of all traces, although you'll need to reinstall the GPU drivers after the scrubbing.

Alternately, you can try reinstalling CCC, and then use Add/Remove programs to uninstall.  This might get rid of the embedded menu options.

As a final option, you can edit the registry to change the specific context menus affected.  If you are interested in doing this, let me know and I will walk you through the process via PM.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 17, 17:04:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the program is gone, and just the shortcut remains, you can navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu"  and delete the icon from there. If it's not in there, check "C:\Documents and Settings\<your id>\Start Menu".

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 17, 17:48:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most, if not all, versions of Windows have very simple removal methods for items on your Start Menu. Just pull up your start menu. See the offending link? Wrong-click (right-click) on it, then click on Delete on the sub menu that pops up. Sucker's gone.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 17, 17:55:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are both correct for removing items from the Start menu, but the original poster is asking how to remove outdated context menu items.  This is a more difficult process. 
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 17, 19:35:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, yes, you are correct -- I overlooked that little bit about it being a context menu.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 17, 21:05:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are both correct for removing items from the Start menu, but the original poster is asking how to remove outdated context menu items.  This is a more difficult process. 
Ah. I have no idea to which you are referring to. Imagine the obligatory breakfast-wearing hare.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
PlayLives
Irritating Ignoramus

I don't speak Awesome.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 September 17, 21:16:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay. Reinstalling and uninstalling Catalyst did the trick. Thanks.
Even Windows Install Clean up did not remove it. I don't like ATI Catalyst.  Undecided
One problem down, one more to go.
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 September 17, 21:46:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah. I have no idea to which you are referring to. Imagine the obligatory breakfast-wearing hare.

Silly Zazazu!

PlayLives
Irritating Ignoramus

I don't speak Awesome.

View Profile
Re: How to delete item from Windows-shortcut menu, etc. (fixed)
« Reply #11 on: 2007 September 18, 00:42:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

B, your desktop is hot!  Grin
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 September 18, 15:42:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

B, your desktop is hot!  Grin
Yes, but do I see that he has bought into the Vista propaganda?

I'm all about Digital Blasphemy for my desktops at work, and have my home comp set to my last taken screenshot in Sims2.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 September 18, 16:02:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but do I see that he has bought into the Vista propaganda?

I keep going back and forth from Vista to XP Pro on my gaming computer (pictured).  Currently, I'm tri booting Ubuntu, Vista HP 64, and XP Pro 64.  I had killed the new MS OS completely, but now I'm in a test group using SP1 Beta, which is actually quite stable.  Plus, transparent borders are so sexy.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: