More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 20:26:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Need Help - BV will not start
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Need Help - BV will not start  (Read 9930 times)
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Need Help - BV will not start
« on: 2007 September 11, 23:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys, I need help.

I downloaded BV yesterday with EA link.  I pulled out my downloads and stuck them on my desktop.  BV came up fine, and I started a new testing neighborhood.  Everything worked just fine.  I quit, put my downloads back in, ran the game told it to enable CC, then quit and went back in again to have it actually use the CC.  At this point, the game will no longer start at all.

So, I pulled the downloads folder out again, restarted, all is well.  So then, I downloaded a wallcover just to see if a new download folder might work better, and it won't start.  The icon comes up in my task bar, but it's not buttonized and it locks up my computer.

I feel lame.  What do I do?
 Huh
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: Need Help - BV will not start
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 11, 23:56:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check the task manager under processes.  With me my sims 2 fails to load 5/6ths of the time always has and apparently always will.  Now with vacation it even gets stuck in the task manager so you need to end the process before you can reload it.  Sometimes the game loads for me first time other times i need to reload it like 5 times before i get in.
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 12, 00:10:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, that's what I've had to do to get out of it, but you're saying to just keep trying?  I've never had it happen before, so I'll see what happens.  Thanks!
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 12, 00:25:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did that about 12 times and nothing has happened.  It still is stuck, and I'm locked out of everything.  I also want to add that I uninstalled BV and reinstalled it.

I've been going at this for two days now - any more suggestions?
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 12, 00:32:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did that about 12 times and nothing has happened.  It still is stuck, and I'm locked out of everything.  I also want to add that I uninstalled BV and reinstalled it.

I've been going at this for two days now - any more suggestions?

Hmm shame it didn't work, not sure what causes the loading problem on my game but it apparently isn't the same.  I don't really have any other ideas sorry to say but if it only happens with your download folder in something in there is messing it up big time.  Or is it just plain not working at all now even without your downloads in?
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 12, 01:01:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to be clear, the game is able to run with no content in the downloads folder, but hangs up on loading when you have any CC installed?
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 12, 01:02:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is correct.

It's nothing in my downloads screwing it up because I left my old downloads folder out and downloaded 1 item of AF underwear - I figured that was the least likely to cause problems  Shocked . I thought that forcing it to make its own new downloads folder might fix it, but apparently I am wrong.

Lord help me if I have to play with out custom content!
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 12, 01:11:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is an interesting and unacceptable issue.  Can you try re-downloading the content from EALink to see if you got some bad packets, or did this already occur when you reinstalled?
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 12, 01:14:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is an interesting and unacceptable issue.  Can you try re-downloading the content from EALink to see if you got some bad packets, or did this already occur when you reinstalled?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by re-downloading from EA Link.  I uninstalled it through Add/Remove programs and reinstalled it with EA Link without any change.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 September 12, 01:20:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EALink = evil broken spyware. Try TPB-link instead.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 September 12, 01:37:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by re-downloading from EA Link.  I uninstalled it through Add/Remove programs and reinstalled it with EA Link without any change.

I was just thinking that the first time you got the game through EA Link, some files may have been corrupted in the transfer.  Thus, unless you redownload them, any reinstallation will result in the same problems.  Of course, if your download wasn't corrupted, this won't help matters.  I tend to second Pescado.  Now that you've paid for it anyway, you might as well have an actual backup image to use.
Hana
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 September 12, 06:40:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the same problem. I had no problem  with hair downloads from XMS. The game wouldn't start when I added the director's cut hack. I tried 5 times to start the game, only it just gave me a blank black screen, and I had to use task manager to cancel it. Then I deleted some of the least needed hacks, and tried starting the game again, and it did. I place my cc and hacks in sub-folders in the download file. Just thought of sharing, not much of a help though. Maybe you could try putting your cc in sub-folders?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 September 12, 07:39:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it's not caused by the DC, because I have all that and more in my game, and it boots. Perhaps you have too many files, period, and that's what's hanging the works?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

I/E NF P/J- Yah , what about it?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 September 12, 07:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just an odd question, how long are you waiting before you cancel it from its "load lock"?

I ask this because of my own waiting issue on my system. I often have no idea that the game is loading, then eventually it comes up with the black screen, then some time after that I get the ea crap. Then all is smooth.

Here is other possibly unhelpful advice if my situation sounds similar?
Defrag
scan for spyware (adware, spybot)
kill other tasks (possibly even disabling the internet wile you play)

Again, just random thoughts about your situation, not sure if any of that might be helpful but worth a mention.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 September 12, 07:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, how much crap do you have in your game? You should never install more CC than about half the amount of RAM you have in your system, to a max of about 1.5 GB.

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 September 12, 09:00:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried deleting groups.cache?

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
spambi
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 September 12, 13:30:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had trouble getting the game to start also and I've found that I have to shut down my firewall (I use Zone Alarm) to get it to run. I had originally denied the game access to the internet. Now, even though I've given it permission it still won't run if my firewall is up. You might try disabling your firewall if you have one.
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 September 12, 14:40:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just an odd question, how long are you waiting before you cancel it from its "load lock"?

Anywhere from 30 secs to 3 hours.

Also, how much crap do you have in your game? You should never install more CC than about half the amount of RAM you have in your system, to a max of about 1.5 GB.

It's not too much - I weed out the crap regularly.  But I don't think that would even be the issue right now since none of it is in my game when I try loading BV - Only 1 piece of clothing that definitely should work.

Have you tried deleting groups.cache?

Yes.  Same thing happens.

You might try disabling your firewall if you have one.

I've done that as well, but I will try disabling more stuff.

Cry
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 September 13, 18:39:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, desperate as I am, I went to Target and bought the actual game.  I've now spent $60 on this f*ing game and nothing has changed.  It's still doing the same thing, so it must be something wrong with my computer.

Any new suggestions?
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 September 13, 18:47:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What operating system are you using?  If it's Vista, try running the game in administrator mode. 

While you're at it, please post your other specs as well.
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 September 13, 19:33:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I feel retarded asking, but here I go anyway:

is there somewhere simple for me to copy/paste that info?  I can find it, but I don't want to retype it all.

Running XP home edition.
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 September 13, 19:43:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't need super specific information.  Rather, I just wanted to get a general idea of your system.  Just post the amount of RAM, processor, and video card.  All this information can be found by hitting winkey+"R", typing "DXDiag" (no quotes) in the box, and hitting enter. 

It sounds like your machine is not letting the game read from the My Documents folder.  Are you an administrator on the computer? 
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 September 13, 19:50:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1536 MB RAM
1381 MB Available

Intel Petium 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

I am the only user on the computer, so I should be an administrator.
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 September 13, 20:08:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, your card's not great, but it doesn't explain why the game loads with no CC.  Have you tried task switching to the game when it is hung up?  Simply press Alt+Tab until you land on the Sims icon, and then release. 

If the above does nothing, try running the game in a lower compatibility mode.  This can be done by right clicking the shortcut, and selecting an older revision of Windows from the drop down box under Compatibility.
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 September 13, 20:52:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, tried the Alt tab thing.  It would come up and let me switch to it, but then nothing would happen.  I don't even get a blue screen or a black screen, just whatever I was viewing before I tried.

So yes, switching to the other mode does work with the downloads folder in the game, but the downloads do not show up.  I'm going to mess with it a bit and see what happens.

Thanks for all of your help.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: