More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 09:26:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  (Not a Sims Question) Need Advise on my Failing Hard Drive
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: (Not a Sims Question) Need Advise on my Failing Hard Drive  (Read 3457 times)
Gamblor
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
(Not a Sims Question) Need Advise on my Failing Hard Drive
« on: 2007 September 22, 17:26:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have three drives in my tower. My C: drive is my operating system my D: drive is for mp3's and documents and my large E: drive is for all my games like Sims and stuff. My C: drive is the oldest and its showing signs of failing so before it goes I want to replace it. My question is with out having to re-install all my software back in it the new drive and also re-install all my games back into my E: drive and waste a whole day doing this I want to do it the smart way and just create an image of my C: drive onto the new one. What's the best way of doing this? Do I need a program to do this can it be done with no problems and save me a ton of time re-installing two drives again which I so hate doing. Any advise would be great.

A Sims Nightmare!
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
Re: (Not a Sims Question) Need Advise on my Failing Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 22, 17:56:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before you give up on your drive, have a look at SpinRite, at http://www.grc.com

I used to have to use this regularly back in the days when drives weren't nearly as reliable as they are now, and it saved me from a lot of problems.

For those who aren't familiar with it, SpinRite will scan your hard drive for errors and correct them, saving the data in another location if necessary.  It used to be able to do a low level format, with all data left in place and unharmed.  I'm sure it will still do this if necessary.  It's a little pricey ($90), and doesn't have a free trail period any more, but worth it if you need to save valuable data.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Gamblor
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 22, 19:39:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thxs Hook I will give spinrite a chance but I have systems mechanics 7 and it couldn't fix my problem with the drive. It's way over 5 years old and I know that's usually the life expectancy I have been told for a hard drive. I would like to get a newer drive It will probable run better and faster then my old one so if you still know away to create an image onto a new drive that would help or if it can be done.

A Sims Nightmare!
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 22, 21:44:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

An excellent disk imaging product is Acronis True Image 10 Home.  Also does a very comprehensive backup.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 22, 22:13:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Ghost or Power Quest Drive Image.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Gamblor
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 23, 00:01:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thxs for replying back so soo., I will look into thos programs when I get my new hard drive.

A Sims Nightmare!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: