More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 13:37:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Help Needed : finding pie menu text to change it (SOLVED)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Help Needed : finding pie menu text to change it (SOLVED)  (Read 5185 times)
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Help Needed : finding pie menu text to change it (SOLVED)
« on: 2007 September 10, 19:29:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've already done it to change some bad translations (mostly inconcistancies in that result in multiple menu when only one is needed (best example is the stereo, with the change station menu, in french you have, changer de cd..., mettre..., changer de style..., I edit that so everything is neatly under changer de style...))
I'd like to do that for the new self menu to walk to a lot, they used "aller sur un terrain.../terrain communautaire" and "aller à pied.../maison. I want to have both under "aller à pied" which make more sense.
I took a rapid look in the BV objects.package, but didn't find these texts. Anyone more awesome than me has some pointers ?? Thanks in advance.
Pioupiou
« Last Edit: 2007 September 19, 09:41:57 by pioupiou » Logged
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Help Needed : finding pie menu text to change it
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 11, 10:45:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe most package files containing text lists are stored in the following directory:

Code:
Whatever\The Sims 2 Bon Voyage\TSData\Res\Text

"Live.package" seems like a good first stop.
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 11, 11:11:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No it is not in live.package but thanks anyway, as I did find in it the monikers for pleasure aspiration that are badly translated in french (they are translated as grilled cheese monikers for elders and teens, it is annoying and has never been corrected by EA), so i'm off to correct that.
I'll keep looking for the pie menu options for walking to a community lot.
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 11, 12:18:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you can give me an English translation for "aller sur un terrain.../terrain communautaire" and "aller à pied.../maison", I'll keep an eye out for them when looking for other text strings in SimPE.
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 11, 12:37:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it should be something along the lines of "go to terrain.../Community lot" and "walk to.../Home". Maybe in english they are consistent and it is both "walk to.../" ? Thanks
Havelock
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 11, 12:44:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could look in your Bon Vojage\TSData\Res\Objects\objects.package but be warned there are tons of pie menu strings to look at.

Found it under objects textlists MakeActionString prim string set.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 11, 13:05:29 by Havelock » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 11, 13:01:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pie Menu strings are nearly all contained within the Objects.package file. The only exceptions exist for custom objects and the original Holiday pack.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 11, 14:32:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, I will take a better look in the objects.package. No fancy way to find what I'm searching like a search option somewhere ??
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 12, 14:38:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if you can use teh dizziness, but I imagine it should allow you to search for strings like these, and give you a list of the specific Group # instances you can use in the SimPE filter.

Alternatively you could attempt to use disaSim2 (found at MTS2) and dump the code to html format and search within those files (I still use disaSim2 over teh dizziness because it doesn't require the installation of other stuff, which I've been too lazy to do on my new computer Tongue).

Incidentally, if the text that you want to change are options that show up with you click on a sim (as opposed to an object), these would most likely be in PersonGlobals and you should look at the Pie Menu Strings (TTAs I think?).

Ste

pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 September 12, 17:56:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Incidentally, if the text that you want to change are options that show up with you click on a sim (as opposed to an object), these would most likely be in PersonGlobals and you should look at the Pie Menu Strings (TTAs I think?).
Maybe a dumb question : is PersonGlobals a package file or is it in the objects.package ?? How/Where can I find it ?
I look rapidly in the objects.package, through pie menu strings and make action strings (or something like that), I've found a lot of interesting text I had modified to be better (in my opinion) in french, but not the one for walking to community lot when you click on the sim (which I want to change) nor the one for walking to a community lot when you click on the public phone, that is like I want it to be....
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 September 12, 18:32:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe a dumb question : is PersonGlobals a package file or is it in the objects.package ?? How/Where can I find it ?

PersonGlobals is a Group instance.  You can use the filter on the right hand side of SimPE (assuming you are using the defauilt Gui configuration) to specify this Group.  It should be listed in the drop down menu/pick list.  Then, go to the resource tree window on the left hand side, and click on TTAs, or whatever it's called (Pie Menu Strings).

I look rapidly in the objects.package, through pie menu strings and make action strings (or something like that), I've found a lot of interesting text I had modified to be better (in my opinion) in french, but not the one for walking to community lot when you click on the sim (which I want to change) nor the one for walking to a community lot when you click on the public phone, that is like I want it to be....

Pie Menu and Make Action Strings are the strings that show up on the pie menu whenever you click on a sim or object.

The strings for dialogs (pop up menus like the ones for chance cards, and the other various dialogs: changing clothes, changing appearance, email, etc. - as well as the informative "bubbles" that show up on the upper right hand corner, like game tips and such) would be in the dialog text strings.  These aren't always labeled, but you should be able to find them by clicking on the TXT or STR# (I forget which) group in the resource tree on the upper left hand side of SimPE.  The instance should always be 12D.

If you didn't know already, the filer allows you to specify Group and Instance.  Most resources are grouped together in a Group (duh).  Each resource has it's own Instance. Smiley

Ste

pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 September 19, 09:40:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Finally found what I was looking for, it was in the TTA, not in the STR (Make Action Strings) where I was looking at first. If there is people here playing their game in french and getting as annoyed as me with the whole "se rendre au terrain/aller à pied" inconcistency, I can upload the changes I made.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: