More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 07:54:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  BV and no CD?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: BV and no CD?  (Read 96933 times)
InPinkClover
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: BV and no CD?
« Reply #50 on: 2007 September 21, 18:07:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We use no CD cracks for every game (not just sims) we play with no issues, and have for many years. It started out being a way to help preserve our original CDs and ended up making playing much easier (now my computer doesn't have to sit right next to me since I rarely have to actually touch it - I have it set up to start when I touch the keyboard or press a mouse button). 

We find our no CD cracks at gamecopyworld.com (game copy world) and/or gameburnworld.com (game burn world).  Just be sure you get the appropriate file for the game AND version you are playing and you should be fine.  Very easy.   Smiley
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 September 21, 18:44:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks again, B. I'll leave the registry be. I'm a novice at playing with it, and would definitely cause more problems. Region/Language changes are my limit.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2007 September 21, 19:22:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, Thanks, B!  I was completely unaware that SecuRom installed itself as a service, since this is the first (and only game) I've bought that used it.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 September 21, 21:28:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Strange, I do not seem to have any of that on my system. By that I mean that I followed the instructions and have found no listing of any of the above. Including the registry keys. Peculiar. Are there some kind of circumstances that the files should be under (such as the game not running) for them to be seen? The only things I can think of for why they are not there is:
1) my copy is torrented
2) My game is running
However, come to think of it, I have seen it mentioned that people needed Yasu + the no-cd key for their game to run. I do not seem to. The no-cd key on its own is working just fine. The only times I needed Yasu, was when I used the iso to install the game and when I was using daemon to play it, before I located a key.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 September 21, 21:41:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have any of that on my system either, and I'm running the game straight out of the box, but with a shortcut to the ep6.exe rather than through the launcher.

There are registry entries for SecuROM, but they're in user areas, not where you mentioned.

I downloaded Fairlight's no-cd crack and it seems to work without jumping through hoops:  exactly what I'd expect for a no-cd crack.  Sure, I'll have to replace the original file if EA ever thinks to patch BV, but I've done this before and keep backups.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 September 21, 21:47:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Third -- no sign of any of those files on my machine, either.  But I never ran the game with the EA launcher -- as soon as I installed it, I changed the icon to point direct to the exe.   And I did run it for 2 or 3 days from the CD before I got the no-cd exe.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 September 21, 21:48:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks B, it's time I did a service cleanup on both my big PC and my laptop, so the reminder is timely and the info helpful. Cheers.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 September 21, 23:39:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Third -- no sign of any of those files on my machine, either.  But I never ran the game with the EA launcher -- as soon as I installed it, I changed the icon to point direct to the exe.   And I did run it for 2 or 3 days from the CD before I got the no-cd exe.

I don't have it either. Hm. Well then.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2007 September 22, 01:00:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If so many people don't have the service I did, it's possible the SecuROM crap I removed was put there by another program.  I am going to do my research on this.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2007 September 22, 01:12:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I don't have the SecuRom crap installed on mine either.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2007 September 22, 01:16:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never let the launcher run either. I bypassed the thing immediately. Possibly, that has something to do with it?
I'm running a file search on my computer to see if Securom comes up at all. The only time I had a problem with it, was when I tried to run BV through daemon. It gave the generic "cd not in drive" message. I used Yasu, no more problems. I replaced the exe with a cracked one, still no problems, even without Yasu.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
deene
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2007 September 26, 16:58:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I didn't find it either and I've been playing the EP out of the box and using the launcher. I've not got around to using a no CD patch.

FYI I'm running Vista Ultimate.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2007 September 26, 19:41:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I definitely got the SecuROM crap. Got rid of it, though.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2007 September 27, 14:04:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Denimjo, what OS are you running?
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2007 September 27, 18:41:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

XP Home Edition.

"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2007 September 27, 18:53:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The SecuROM on BV is quite confusing.  Some people get the crap, but most don't.  OS seems to have no bearing on whether or not the service gets added, nor does region.  I've put together an image that definitely will not install SecuROM crap anywhere, and the Fairlight release also seems to accomplish this.  If my research uncovers anything else, I'll be sure to post an update.  Stupid copy protection.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2007 September 27, 20:41:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, don't know enough here: an image is used simply to run the game without the CD, right?

So if I want this crap off my PC, I need to get it removed (so far nothing worked--I have Vista Home 64bit) but I won't give up-- then reinstall with a pirated copy--which I am assuming will install without the Securom--and then use the 'Fairlight' image to load up with? I'm assuming that a search will give me all this stuff and it's not hard to find....

Please someone educate me here... Sad
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2007 September 27, 21:55:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The 'fairlight' thing is a replacement for the game .exe, so no image or CD is required to play it.  Just keep a copy of the original .exe around, because you'll need to restore it when a patch comes out.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2007 September 28, 14:08:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, thanks! Easy enough to find....at the beginning of the thread.....
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2007 September 28, 19:24:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I didn't find it either and I've been playing the EP out of the box and using the launcher. I've not got around to using a no CD patch.

FYI I'm running Vista Ultimate.
Same here, and I'm on Windows XP, SP2.
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2007 September 29, 12:10:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't find secuROM under services.msc. I have no idea where \windows\system 32 directory is so I can't look in there for anything.

I'm running on Windows XP SP2, I didn't bypass the launcher immediately, although I have now and I always play with the DVD in the drive. Sometimes if I try to start the game up with the internet plugged in and before the computer is good and ready I get a message saying that something could not be verified within the time limit. I can't remember the exact message but I think it's suggesting it's trying to verify that I'm running the game legally. Is that something to do with secuROM?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2007 September 29, 12:26:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would be the SecuROM spyware at work, yes.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2007 September 30, 00:49:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't find secuROM under services.msc. I have no idea where \windows\system 32 directory is so I can't look in there for anything.

If you have the patience, just do a search on your computer for SecuROM ('Start <Search). That's how I discovered that I had it.

shanpooter
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2007 October 01, 01:11:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please someone educate me here... Sad

Ooh, me too please.  I purchased the game but haven't installed it yet.  If I install from a pirated image instead of the disk I bought, will I still get the secuROM crap?  I am afraid to let this disk anywhere near my computer. 
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2007 October 01, 23:34:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would be the SecuROM spyware at work, yes.

Stupid SecuROM! It doesn't happen everytime and I always try to remember to disconnect the internet before I run the game anyway. With the internet unplugged the game loads faster than it did before I installed BV. With the internet plugged in it takes forever to load, even if I take out all my custom content. So I guess if I'm going to unplug the internet everytime I plaay I don't really need to worry about secuROM because it's not going to be able to send anything to EA with no internet connection is it? Or am I just being overly optimistic there?

ETA: As suggested by Denimjo I searched my computer for SecuROM. All I found was this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserID\Application Data\SecuROM
It was hidden and inside it was a folder called UserData which appeared to be empty. Checking the properties of said folder reveals it to be 0 bytes so I'm sure there isn't anything lurking inside it. Where then is secuROM? (if it's there at all) Huh
« Last Edit: 2007 October 02, 00:18:58 by Sivany » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: