More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 04:31:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  bringing money home from uni
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: bringing money home from uni  (Read 8236 times)
Toast
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
bringing money home from uni
« on: 2007 December 02, 07:32:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a sim who started a business in college and took all the cash perks, so now his Greek house treasury is $90k or so. However, he only has memories of earning $25k so far. I am taking this to mean that the cash perks don't count as "earned" money, which is stupid, but oh well.

My question is, how does the game decide how much money a uni student takes back to the base neighborhood? I thought if he made more than $20k in college he'd go home with the actual amount he earned. But is that based on his memories or on the money in the treasury at the time of graduation? I want to know if I need to send his money home with him in the form of expensive statues in his inventory, or what. He earned it fairly and I don't want him to leave it behind at La Fiesta.  Tongue
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
Re: bringing money home from uni
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 02, 10:05:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You won't leave the cash behind, don't worry Wink - I just had a sim graduate and return to the hood with over 70k, but he only remembered earning 10k (Dean's List). The rest was dug up in the dorm's backyard Grin.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 02, 12:52:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you use no20khandout students will bring back their proportional share of any money they earn.  Otherwise they'll return to the neigbourhood with 20k.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
jefrir
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 02, 14:19:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you don't want no20khandouts, buy a load of expensive crap,put it in his inventory, and sell it when you get to the main hood. Otherwise he will indeed end up with only 20k
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 02, 16:44:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My YAs appear to leave their (private) dorms and return home with their proportionate share of the household income at the time they left campus, plus the standard $20K.  I.e.  Abigayle Montrose returned to her hood with $36,000 in her bank account, while Cody Swan had $27,500.    While both were on the dean's list, Abigayle had more roomies than Cody.
Toast
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 December 02, 19:22:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My YAs appear to leave their (private) dorms and return home with their proportionate share of the household income at the time they left campus, plus the standard $20K.  I.e.  Abigayle Montrose returned to her hood with $36,000 in her bank account, while Cody Swan had $27,500.    While both were on the dean's list, Abigayle had more roomies than Cody.

When they graduated, was anyone left behind in the dorm or was it emptied out? My kid had 5 roommates, 2 of whom have graduated and only got the standard $20k when they went back to Strangetown. So I am wondering now if you'll only take the surplus money home if you're the last one to graduate and you leave the lot empty behind you. And I have to leave a placeholder there for various reasons after all the kids graduate.

I guess I'm just going to take the money home in inventory statues to be safe, but I'm still curious as to how the game calculates this number.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 December 02, 19:47:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's how the game calculates it:

If you do not have no20khandouts installed: everyone gets 20K, regardless of how much they should get.
If you do have no20khandouts installed: everyone gets a proportional share of the money (I'm not sure if this calculation includes dormies, or if it's just playable sims).

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 December 02, 19:53:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dormies are not included in calculation, only playable members of the household.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 December 02, 20:08:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When they graduated, was anyone left behind in the dorm or was it emptied out? My kid had 5 roommates, 2 of whom have graduated and only got the standard $20k when they went back to Strangetown. So I am wondering now if you'll only take the surplus money home if you're the last one to graduate and you leave the lot empty behind you. And I have to leave a placeholder there for various reasons after all the kids graduate.

I guess I'm just going to take the money home in inventory statues to be safe, but I'm still curious as to how the game calculates this number.

I never leave any private dorm empty. At least one playable YA is always in residence and I rotate my play so there's always some teen in the background, waiting to go to Uni.  I will admit I've never bothered to track the household wealth of each dorm, but am pretty certain that all my graduates have more than $20K when they land back in the neighborhood.    I have a couple more who just graduated and are hanging around their dorms; will make it a point to note their bank accounts when I move them back to the hood.  BTW,  I don't have no20khandouts.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 December 03, 08:13:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you do not have no20khandouts installed: everyone gets 20K, regardless of how much they should get.

Hm... don't they get 20k as a minimum ? I'm pretty sure my YAs brought home more than 20k long before I discovered no20khandouts Huh. I have to add, though, that my sims used to have their own houses instead of living in a dorm, no idea if this makes a difference.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 December 03, 15:15:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish I could help, but I usually just use Monique's computer to deposit any monies that are due my simmies at move out. I never differentiated between dorms, greek-houses, or private houses. I calculated what they made/earned and deposited it into their bank account. When they returned, all they had to do was get another Monique computer and withdraw their deposits. Often I just left it in, because after depositing 1000+ they usually got interest. Not all that much, but it helped a little for the start-outs.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 December 03, 22:07:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm... don't they get 20k as a minimum ? I'm pretty sure my YAs brought home more than 20k long before I discovered no20khandouts Huh. I have to add, though, that my sims used to have their own houses instead of living in a dorm, no idea if this makes a difference.
I don't have no20k handouts. In a home/dorm with more than one playable and, say $2k in the bank (I generally start a house or dorm every round, so I'm decorating) each graduate gets 20k. Doesn't really matter for me because in Queen's Cove, I roll for how much they get to start a house with and that amount would be adjusted regardless. In my apoc, I had him sell all the dorm furnishings in the end and he had $39k in the coffers..$39k in the sim bin in Dark Side of the Moon. One playable in that dorm, thirteen dormies.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 December 04, 10:44:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am uncertain why you would ROLL how much money that they get. It doesn't work that way in real life, either. Graduating college doesn't magically give you more money from the ether, after all.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 December 04, 15:53:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because I roll everything.  Grin

Neh, I roll it, then take the money from the parents, like a graduation gift. Some families bankrupt themselves to give their kids a new life. Some are stingy and give them very little so they appreciate the struggle their parents went through.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 December 04, 16:26:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do something similar to Veilchen - I note what my graduate has upon graduation and then adjust it, either in SimPE or using Insim's budget adjuster.  This means that I have never had a uni student (who after all has spent all his/her time studying, hustling pool, and chasing other sims of one or more genders around campus) with more than about S7000 (and that's if tipping was good when he played jazz piano or something).  If the sim wants a house, he/she has to depend on money orders from mum and dad.

Hmmm.  Sounds like I should probably take another look at the RTFM for "no20Khandouts".

Tribulatio proxima est
doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 December 05, 18:03:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Graduating college doesn't magically give you more money from the ether, after all.

If it did I would have had an incentive to actually graduate. Instead many studies require further - privately financed - education if you are hoping to get into paid employment one day in the future.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: