More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 00:35:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Bon Voyage dissatisfaction
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Bon Voyage dissatisfaction  (Read 221150 times)
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
Re: Bon Voyage dissatisfaction
« Reply #475 on: 2007 October 25, 14:35:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I don't know how to do this, but I want it, I volunteer for testing. =p

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: 2007 October 25, 14:41:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does the pickpocket look like? I've played all the lots for two rl days and have yet to see him.
He looks like Snidely Whiplash. Take anti-redundancy out, wait until you see him, put it back in again.

You said this and I got this picture in my head that cracked me the hell up. I thought, "Surely not!" I thought wrong. Took out anti-redundancy and waited. I knew who he was at first sight. That's amusing. And thanks for the help!

The only problem I see with this is that, if you take antiredundancy out, you start spawning tour guides again (unless you installed the patch, presumeably).  I know I have a charlatan in my game who has shown up once even with antiredundancy loaded.

Tribulatio proxima est
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: 2007 October 26, 17:06:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only problem I see with this is that, if you take antiredundancy out, you start spawning tour guides again (unless you installed the patch, presumeably).  I know I have a charlatan in my game who has shown up once even with antiredundancy loaded.

As long as you don't visit the vacation areas after removing the hack (i.e., wait for the charletan on a regular community lot), you won't get any more tour guides. Even if you did wait for him on a vacation community lot, you'd only have one unless you went to more than one lot.

I dunno what the deal is with anti-redundancy and the pickpocket - not being awesome and such... only know if you aren't getting them and take it out, one wil show up. Perhaps one needed to spawn before you put the hack in the game or maybe the game needs one for each vacation area and one for community lots (as the vacation ones are actual part of the 'local' group with the proper clothes and all) or something. Not sure.

But taking it out long enough to get one and putting it back in doesn't look like it'll blow up a game. Just make sure to put the hack back in.

Unsouper
ithinknot
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: 2007 October 26, 18:46:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He looks like Snidely Whiplash. Take anti-redundancy out, wait until you see him, put it back in again.

[/quote]

I thought of this beforehand so I didn't visit the vaca lots. I hung around the little pet store for awhile and he showed up fairly quickly. I (in all my non-awesomeness, late to read the threads thouroughly) actually have the patch installed, but don't automatically trust that it will fix what it says it does. I immediately went home, quit the game, and put anti-redundancy back in JIC. But thanks though.

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: 2007 October 27, 17:19:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect their characters are like the PV/ST/VV townies, in that they already exist in the neighbourhood template rather than being created, clothed and named when the game requires them. 

They do

And then the tourist families could actually be families.

They are.

If you have the right version of SimPE you can just move sims you prefer into those families and move the others into family 0 with the other dead people.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: 2007 October 27, 20:58:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And then the tourist families could actually be families.

They are.

If you have the right version of SimPE you can just move sims you prefer into those families and move the others into family 0 with the other dead people.

Members of vacation families aren't flagged as related to each other in SimPE, and they barely know each other. For example, teenage Connor Dawn has a 6 daily relationship with the woman who should be his mother, Caryl Dawn, and they are flagged as "known" to each other but nothing else.

Further, moving all the families around like that would be enough of a pain in the ass that making a whole new replacement template would probably be very little more work, with a much greater payoff. Anyone have links to a good tutorial?

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: 2007 October 28, 05:44:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edited stupid post because I == idiot.  Lips sealed

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Ailias
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: 2008 March 24, 18:47:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1. Why are tourists so ugly?
2. I cannot see the moment when people ask each other to play pirates all the time and get their relationships worse.
3. how Maxis could code a stereo so sims dance hula, slap in silence? I turn off the stereo, I delete it - but sims keep dancing like crazy idiots.
cenoura
Exasperating Eyesore

Talk to the hand!

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: 2008 March 24, 18:50:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, Ailias, a tip. Before you CARRY ON POSTING, have a look at the time stamp of the threads. It's now MARCH. This thread stopped discussion in OCTOBER. Generally, don't post in a thread older than three months.

*jemjie waits for the pointy sticks to come out*

ISTP
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: 2008 March 24, 20:20:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, Ailias, a tip. Before you CARRY ON POSTING, have a look at the time stamp of the threads. It's now MARCH. This thread stopped discussion in OCTOBER. Generally, don't post in a thread older than three months.

*jemjie waits for the pointy sticks to come out*

I think it's generally preferred for people to post in an already existing thread than to start a new one, so I think this is fine.

1. Because unless you use default replacement facial templates, they're generated from the Maxis-provided templates. Hence, ugly.
2. ... what? If I understand what you're saying, simply X out of the action or else look for a No Autonomous mod for the pirate game.
3. Try canceling the action.

"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: 2008 March 24, 22:59:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's generally preferred for people to post in an already existing thread than to start a new one, so I think this is fine.

Haven't read the FAQ, have you.  Tongue

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: 2008 March 25, 03:14:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nah, just going by the more visible 'OMG! We've already HAD a thread about that in the long past!' histrionics I've seen here. Necromancy seems to be considered less evil than making a 'useless' thread that would likely have gotten directed to this one anyways.

Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: 2008 March 25, 07:04:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every forum seems to feel differently about it. Some hate new threads and would rather you post in something over a year old than start a new one. Others, the reverse. Meh.

bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: 2008 March 25, 07:10:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, me myself prefer bringing the old thread back up to starting a new thread of the exact same topic. I never get the reason why 'necromancy' is bad. (Anyway, this is the only forum that use the term necromancy Sad)
« Last Edit: 2008 March 25, 07:16:44 by crystalclear » Logged
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

ISFP - now more Introverted than Pescado!

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: 2008 March 25, 07:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd rather they'd be just one thread for a topic, but after it has "died" it should only be brought back to life with new info, not "thanks, this is great" or "I agree lol!".

But that's me. I'm sure some get right pissed if the same thread is constantly being brought up.

Fuck you, Old Man. Fuck you.
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: 2008 March 25, 07:18:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um if that's the case, then not only I don't think they should bring back the thread, but they better not posting that useless message at all Tongue
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: 2008 March 25, 07:21:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(Anyway, this is the only forum that use the term necromancy Sad)

No it's not.  I've seen it used on other forums.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
cenoura
Exasperating Eyesore

Talk to the hand!

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: 2008 March 25, 11:26:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was really referring to the fact that this person had posted in three other old threads too, wanted to stop it before it carried on going - especially as the new posts were not adding any information.

ISTP
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: 2008 March 25, 15:40:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kyna's right.

Some forums don't have nearly 6,000 members and are less irritated by deja vu, some forums are tiny and to get what traffic they can, but most large forums do not want to see re-runs all the time. If they don't use the term "necromancy" they have other terms for not digging up ancient or non-current discussions.

When necromancy is committed here, 99% of the time it is a sure sign that the poster has not read the FAQ and is not lurking MOAR.

jemjie is also right: if a user can't be arsed to educate themselves about the culture of a new forum, they are not likely to stick around and contribute to that forum in any meaningful or interesting way.

N00bz: READ THE FAQ. Don't poke dead, mouldering threads.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: 2008 March 25, 16:55:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kyna's right.

Some forums don't have nearly 6,000 members and are less irritated by deja vu, some forums are tiny and to get what traffic they can, but most large forums do not want to see re-runs all the time. If they don't use the term "necromancy" they have other terms for not digging up ancient or non-current discussions.

Yeah, I know that bigger forums tend to disallow old threads being brought up again. I was just referring to the term 'necromancy'. I never encountered that term at any other forum I went. Last time I checked, 'necromancy' means talking with the dead or something like that...
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: 2008 March 25, 17:07:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'necromancy' means talking with the dead or something like that...

It also means raising the dead and many other practices.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: 2008 March 25, 17:22:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'necromancy' means talking with the dead or something like that...

It also means raising the dead and many other practices.

Literally, it means divination by means of the dead (séance, ouija board,) but S&S stories of the '20s and '30s turned it into "raising the dead". There's also a little side-trip where some people thought the word was derived from the Latin word for "black", thus spawning the term "The Black Arts" or "Dark Arts", which pretty much covers anything unwholesome, especially magic that uses parts of dead people (like the hand of glory.)

But if anyone these days has heard the word, they think of the S&S definition, usually. And that's what's used on loads of forums. I'll admit I haven't seen it on the Sims BBS, which might be a better indication of how many people have heard the term... but all the boards I usually frequent not only talk about thread necromancy, but usually respond to it with a Mr. Mackay-like "Necromancy is bad, m'kay?"
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: 2008 March 25, 17:43:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But if anyone these days has heard the word, they think of the S&S definition, usually. And that's what's used on loads of forums. I'll admit I haven't seen it on the Sims BBS, which might be a better indication of how many people have heard the term... but all the boards I usually frequent not only talk about thread necromancy, but usually respond to it with a Mr. Mackay-like "Necromancy is bad, m'kay?"

Weird... I'm a member of various boards (none of them is a Sims board, this is the only Sims-related board I go) and I never heard that term being used Sad
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: 2008 March 25, 20:58:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=necromancy

second definition.

INFP or something
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: 2008 March 26, 09:39:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have more to say on an old topic, it makes sense to continue the old thread for two reasons:-
1.  All the info about the topic stays in one place rather than being spread all over the board
2.  Anyone who was interested in the subject first time round has tools to see there's something new there - "notify" (if it works) and "show new replies to your posts".

People who see the necromancy warning and still post without a good reason are just annoying.  If you want to get draconian, can you fix it so that people with less than X posts, physically CAN'T re-open a closed thread? 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: