More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 18:51:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Crash to desktop on load screen - possible fireball?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Crash to desktop on load screen - possible fireball?  (Read 3647 times)
lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
Crash to desktop on load screen - possible fireball?
« on: 2007 August 26, 12:49:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I started up the Sims 2 last night it got as far as about 2/3 or maybe 3/4 through the progress bar on the big fancy loading screen and then, blink of an eye, dropped to the desktop. No freezing, no error message. I thought it was crashing on loading the Neighborhood Manager, but after trying it nineteen different times to test different variables, I realized it had not finished loading yet.

I have whatever the cheapest Athlon 64-bit processor is, I don't remember the model name of it.

Video card, ATI something or other, I don't think that's the problem anyway since Sims has been working for over... a pretty long time now and I haven't been messing with any hardware (I run the game at almost top graphics quality)

The information below is probably more relevant. This is a list of all the stupid-ass things I have done since the last time Sims worked.

ITEM 1: It was maybe 4 in the morning and I was messing around with test objects in a new clean neighborhood I had started. NPC/townie generator, etc. Probably the biggest mistake was trying to add the Therapist and the Grim Reaper to the family (Using the tombstone of life and death). All this was in one lot, I didn't save in the middle or anything, but it was maybe 4 in the morning and so when I exited I am pretty sure that I clicked "Yes" when it asked me to save, even though I had been intending not to.

Will doing that run the risk of making your game visible from space even if you don't save? Generally I have a superstitious belief (coupled to my dangerous curiosity) that if you don't save, anything you screw up will go back to normal. I learned the hard way that this is not always true that one time that I captured Missingno in Pokemon Blue Version and it went south even though I didn't save.

ITEM 2: I had finished loading up Photoshop and Body Shop, preparing for another session of making crappy stuff that I will not share on the internet for the benefit of humanity, when urgent matters called me elsewhere for a few hours. Not wanting to leave my computer running, I put it on standby, forgetting that the reason I hardly ever do that is that it tends to not want to turn back on again afterwards.

And so, when I came back and jiggled the mouse, hit some keys, pressed the power button, etc, the box stayed in standby. I don't know if something might have been caused by Body Shop not closing properly, or maybe I got bad sectors from shutting it off. I don't know. It's running checkdisk right now.

ITEM 3: I installed some new stuff, mainly FFS hacks, but a few other things (read: furniture and clothing) I got from links from this site and maybe some other places. It seems possible that one of them may be the problem but I doubt they would actually break the game like this, and the other scenarios seem more likely.

So: Bad sectors? FUBAR'ed neighborhood from doing stupidass stuff with untouchable NPCs? Broken downloads? Maybe it's something else I haven't thought of but I've told you about everything I changed and stuff.

What are happening?

EDIT: I should probably mention that I'm running Uni + Nightlife.
« Last Edit: 2007 August 26, 12:54:40 by lowbart » Logged

Quote from: Liz
I find it particularly disingenuous of Seabolt to attempt to claim that "Advertising is very organic to the 'Sims 3' experience." Apparently 'organic' is code for "We thought of some places we can stick it." Should they run out of ideas, I could gladly recommend some nice, organic place
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Crash to desktop on load screen - possible fireball?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 August 26, 13:07:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ITEM 3: I installed some new stuff, mainly FFS hacks, but a few other things (read: furniture and clothing) I got from links from this site and maybe some other places. It seems possible that one of them may be the problem but I doubt they would actually break the game like this, and the other scenarios seem more likely.

Start sleuthing with the simple approach: move your DL folder out of your game folder, stick it on your desktop, then try to load the game.  If it loads, you get to play pin the tail on the bad donkey in your DL folder.

lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 26, 13:21:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It'd be easier to just hunt down the last batch of stuff I installed and delete it.

I hope that's it, though, because I have a lot of houses and crap that I spent a lot of time on and aren't packaged.

Thanks

EDIT: Okay, found the problem. Let it be known to all that the duck that eats your poop breaks your game.
« Last Edit: 2007 August 26, 13:31:00 by lowbart » Logged

I find it particularly disingenuous of Seabolt to attempt to claim that "Advertising is very organic to the 'Sims 3' experience." Apparently 'organic' is code for "We thought of some places we can stick it." Should they run out of ideas, I could gladly recommend some nice, organic place
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 26, 14:04:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your link takes me to the search screen.

Are you talking about that fugly potty that was in the More Awful Than You furniture contest?

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 26, 16:18:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It'd be easier to just hunt down the last batch of stuff I installed and delete it.

Yes, this symptom is typically the result of some incompatible object—for example, an object made with Seasons installed when you don't have Seasons yourself.

As you've discovered.   Tongue

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 27, 05:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kyna, yes, that's the one. It caught my attention and I wanted to have its horrific awfulness on my computer.

I couldn't get it to link to the post properly so I just tried to link to the search result.

Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 August 27, 08:24:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kyna, yes, that's the one. It caught my attention and I wanted to have its horrific awfulness on my computer.

I couldn't get it to link to the post properly so I just tried to link to the search result.

Is this the post you're referring to?

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 August 27, 08:49:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For future reference, to link to a post, right-click on the subject line of a post, and select copy link location (or the equivalent in your browser).

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 August 27, 22:05:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For future reference, to link to a post, right-click on the subject line of a post, and select copy link location (or the equivalent in your browser).

Or click on the icon next to the subject line in the post and then copy the link in the address bar. Whichever.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: