More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 05:56:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Family Genetics With Custom Skins
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Family Genetics With Custom Skins  (Read 5801 times)
Simgoose
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Family Genetics With Custom Skins
« on: 2007 August 22, 00:51:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok so I have asked around about how to make skins with tattoos. and found a couple of tutorials. and think i can work it out.

Now before i get into trying to make my first skin... i had a question.

1. If I create a or 2 Sim through the CAS with a custom tattoo skin (or other)
and have children, what skin will the childen take on?

(I'm using helene's default skin replacements atm, and will use these to create my tattoo skin)
NB: i will only use this for personal use, unless i get approval to share the moded ones.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Family Genetics With Custom Skins
« Reply #1 on: 2007 August 22, 01:48:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That really depends.  Kids can take on the skin of either parent, or some shade inbetween.  The game grades the skins on a major scale of S-1 (very light) to S-4 (very dark).  So if an S-1 and and S-4 have a kid, the kid can be S-1, S-2, S-3, or S-4. If a S-1 and S-2 have a kid, the kid would be either S-1 or S-2.   Two S-2s would only have kids with S-2s.

But it's more subtle than that, too.  Underneath those major scales is a genetic scale from 0 to 9 (or 0.0 to 0.9 -- there's a tutorial/discussion about this somewhere in Peasantry), and each S-x represents a range of the genetic numbers.  So an S-1 could genetically be 0.0 to 0.25 (I'm making up these ranges -- see the tutorial). The default skins all fall in the middle of each range, and if you have no other custom skins in your game, it'll choose one of the defaults.  But using SimPE you can alter the genetics of custom skins so they fall in various parts of the genetic range, and have a much wider selection of potential skins the kids can get.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Simgoose
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 22, 02:11:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheers for the reply.
Ill see what i can find in the tutorials.

One more question: If i build a sim with a normal default skin...

then in the game change the skin to a tattoo'd one... this wont affect the genetics... will it?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 22, 02:28:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I don't believe so -- you'd have to edit the sim's package file manually to change the genetics.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 22, 02:31:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If both parents have a custom skin (with genetic value unaltered, i.e. = 0), you have a 50% probability each.

You can, however, modify the genetic value of those custom skins, and they will behave like jsalemi explains in the above post.

EDIT:
then in the game change the skin to a tattoo'd one... this wont affect the genetics... will it?

It will. I have tested it, and even if it sounds silly, when a baby is born the game will pull the skintone value from the skin the sim is actually showing, and not the value stored in DNA.
I pointed this out here, if you want a longer explaination.
« Last Edit: 2007 August 22, 02:41:55 by Marhis » Logged

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Simgoose
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 22, 02:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<---- *Looks for tutorial regarding custom skinning*
Simgoose
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 August 22, 03:02:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If both parents have a custom skin (with genetic value unaltered, i.e. = 0), you have a 50% probability each.

You can, however, modify the genetic value of those custom skins, and they will behave like jsalemi explains in the above post.

EDIT:

It will. I have tested it, and even if it sounds silly, when a baby is born the game will pull the skintone value from the skin the sim is actually showing, and not the value stored in DNA.
I pointed this out here, if you want a longer explaination.

After reading your post in the other link, something came to mind... did you use the FFS Debugger tool to fix the first born?
I didn't read any more of the post, but that came to mind... im not sure if that would maybe fix the issue? Would It?

and if not... whats the heck point of having DNA when it doesnt even us it anyways! GRR.

Hmmm... now im going to have to think about weather or not i wanna or could be bothered using custom skins! if they dont pull from the DNA.

(i was happy to change it after they were made to keep it. but now it doesnt pull the right info. thats grrr!)
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 August 22, 03:23:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, there's a mod on MTS2 that allows for tatoo overlays. It stays on even when sims are naked and b/c it's separate from the skin it doesn't get passed down. Sounds like it's what you're looking for.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 August 22, 03:42:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After reading your post in the other link, something came to mind... did you use the FFS Debugger tool to fix the first born?
I didn't read any more of the post, but that came to mind... im not sure if that would maybe fix the issue? Would It?

and if not... whats the heck point of having DNA when it doesnt even us it anyways! GRR.

yes, I did use it, and I also reloaded the lots many times, no luck Sad.

I agree with you, it's lame; I was really pissed because of my attempts going so bad.
* Marhis shakes fist at EAxis

The tatoo-overlay solution seems the best one, at last.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Simgoose
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 August 22, 03:45:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, there's a mod on MTS2 that allows for tatoo overlays. It stays on even when sims are naked and b/c it's separate from the skin it doesn't get passed down. Sounds like it's what you're looking for.

Yes i did have a look at this... but from what i saw... it seemed to be computer specific. I might be wrong but when i looked at it breifily the package its self needed to have the added/created overlay, this making it had to share the skin.
Simgoose
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 August 22, 04:06:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 August 22, 15:21:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<---- *Looks for tutorial regarding custom skinning*

This is the thread I was referring to: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,2966.0.html

It's long, but worth reading, with lots of good info about sim DNA, and pointers to other tutorials about it.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Simgoose
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 August 23, 03:49:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

cheers ill have a read over it. i guess for now... photo shop here i come to make some tattoo over lays.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: