More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 10:00:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  New EP procedure - would love recommendations.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New EP procedure - would love recommendations.  (Read 23730 times)
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
New EP procedure - would love recommendations.
« on: 2007 August 21, 11:32:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As the release date for BV looms I feel deep uneasiness about my game mods and losing them, however temporarily, but I will get the EP(I've had it ordered and paid for for months).

I just wanted any recommendations on how I should phase my 200 or so game mods back into my downloads folder. I will of course back everything up before I install the EP and keep checking the creators of said mods(most of them are Pescado's)for updates or conflicts.

Mostly I'm just miserable because I'm going to miss my mods. I'm not looking forward to my Sims getting stupid again. Cry

Cass Smiley

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: New EP procedure - would love recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: 2007 August 21, 12:34:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is no new expansion pack. You have been fooled and stupidly paid for nothing more than Lies and Propaganda.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 21, 15:10:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My procedure for mods is to redownload everything from scratch, so I always have the latest version of the mod even if it didn't need an EP-related update. (This is especially important for Pescado's mods.) I put the old mod folder somewhere else on my computer so I can refer back to it if I had anything that cannot be redownloaded, so I can look around for compatibility info or test it out myself.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 21, 15:23:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back-up game first (your downloads, lot catalog, and 'hood folders, anyways, plus any modified files you may have like lighting and stairs...and userstartup.cheat, for goodness sakes!). Move the downloads folder out of My Documents/EA/Sims2. Apply EP. Put downloads folder back in. Observe if anything croaks.

I've rarely had any big issues, but then I don't have as many hacks as some...maybe 50 total, and that's counting multiple files for Monique's Comp and ACR. If things do go bad, you can do that fancy binary search or just use the half-in, half-out process of elimination.

If something borks badly, you have your backup. Reapply it without the hacks and watch for updates. And don't tease Pescado about the EP before it comes out; he's one of those people who have to see it to believe it.

I only update my mods if something borks, and then I check everything. Exceptions being with the lot debugger. I just love playing with that thing.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 21, 15:26:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My procedure is
1. Do not install new EP until Pescado has acquired his copy and has started putting out updated mods
2. Drag existing downloads folder to desktop and create a new, empty downloads folder
3. Attempt to play without hacks
4. Run screaming from the room when my sims insist on behaving like the idiots Maxis programmed them to be
5. Have a caffeine fix and come to my senses
6. Put in updated hacks/mods - generally at this early stage only Pescado and one or two others have updated hacks.  Delete the old versions of those hacks in the old downloads folder
7. Read the what works/what doesn't that the best modders provide - and move the working mods over from old downloads folder to new downloads folder
8. Keep checking back here several times a day for the first couple of weeks as mods are updated frequently just after an EP release
9. Check regularly at the sites I got my other downloads from to see if the modder has updated their stuff, or posted a list of what works - this is usually the longest step.  Not everyone is awesomely fast about updating their hacks
10. Once everything I had in my old downloads folder has a current version in my new downloads folder or is no longer needed, then I delete the old downloads folder

Hmm, maybe next time I should just skip steps 3, 4 and 5.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 21, 16:45:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could do what I do, and wait a month or two before installing it.  All of the hacks are updated by then, there's often a patch out, and the major game-breaking bugs are known so you can avoid them.  You've lived without it this long, it's not like you can't wait a little longer.  (I know that almost no one will find my advice palatable.)

idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 August 21, 17:51:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, this year when I came back from Europe and finally got Seasons I was in the exact same situation. I got the game months after and so all fixes and patches and stuff were out already. It just wasn't the same...

I guess I rather liked the minor chaos that ensues every time an EP is released. And when it wasn't there I kinda missed it. Cry
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 August 21, 18:18:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My procedure is
1. Do not install new EP until Pescado has acquired his copy and has started putting out updated mods
2. Drag existing downloads folder to desktop and create a new, empty downloads folder
3. Attempt to play without hacks
4. Run screaming from the room when my sims insist on behaving like the idiots Maxis programmed them to be
5. Have a caffeine fix and come to my senses
(edited)
Hmm, maybe next time I should just skip steps 3, 4 and 5.

Never skip step 5a (caffeine fix) - step 5b (coming to senses) is optional.

I have never put in an EP before mods were out and updated.  Thinking of making an exception for BV (if it should prove not to be just Lies and Propaganda after all).  Also not happy about the potential for totally stupid sims (yay, coffee cups in the bedrooms again and everyone freaking out about a former lover from university having woohoo with his wife that he's already had three kids with).

My strategy so far is to add in what I think are absolutely necessary (i.e. romance mod, notownieregen, etc.) and try to play.  If errors, then remove and retest.  When update, replace old versions.  Hopefully this will eliminate or minimise my total annoyance.  I've learned to live with a permanent background annoyance level, but there are limits to what is acceptable.  I'm not sure that one sim slapping another one as he washes his dishes in the bathroom and walks all the way across the house past the dishwasher to set his coffee cup on his daughter's desk necessarily counts as cause for total irritation on my part.  I'll probably just get a laugh out of it.

Anyhow, as has been pointed out already, it's all just L&P right now.

Tribulatio proxima est
Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 August 21, 20:15:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could do what I do, and wait a month or two before installing it.  All of the hacks are updated by then, there's often a patch out, and the major game-breaking bugs are known so you can avoid them.  You've lived without it this long, it's not like you can't wait a little longer.  (I know that almost no one will find my advice palatable.)

Ah, reading this strengthens my resolve Smiley I only managed to wait a week and a half before installing Seasons (probably because my sister, who trashes and remakes neighbourhoods at a rate of knots and thus has no need to be careful, had already installed and was taunting me with the cool things). But I'll probably only be able to wait for a month at the most! XD
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 August 22, 06:27:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had to do this with Pets and Seasons as my DVD drive didn't work and I was waiting for my shiny new PC to arrive. It is actually easier than you think. I'm waiting to install until everything essential is updated Cheesy I'm still going to buy it on first day of release though. Baa!

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 August 22, 06:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I create a new sims 2 folder by renaming the old one, then run the game vanilla for a bit, see what it does, then I usually add back the hacks I can't live without and see what happens again. I keep checking for updated hacks and this method seems to have worked fine for me so far.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 August 22, 07:10:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm waiting to install until everything essential is updated Cheesy I'm still going to buy it on first day of release though. Baa!
This is why you are a stupid Vista-using Emma and deserve your Vista chair! Photos of sim-Emma and the Vista Chair forthcoming.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 August 22, 07:17:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm waiting to install until everything essential is updated Cheesy I'm still going to buy it on first day of release though. Baa!
This is why you are a stupid Vista-using Emma and deserve your Vista chair! Photos of sim-Emma and the Vista Chair forthcoming.

* Emma moons Pescado

Found my bathroomless house yet? No? Thought not. Tongue All Pescados Suck.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 August 22, 12:55:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, this is my usual modus operandi with new EPs.

It's not like I have a lot of free time to play as it is. I'll probably wait until December/break from classes to deal with installation hassles.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Simgoose
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 August 22, 14:03:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Option 1: Backup, then copy mods back in, and see what happens
Option 2: Wait a month or two for the hacks to be updated etc.

Option 3: Remove all Mods and Custom Content, and play it the great way Maxis/EA wrote it...
give that about 5 minutes (including a long boot time) and you will be pulling your hair out in no time...
Why did the entire queue just drop; why wont they do what i told them; No! don't go and play drums...
Why did my baby come out back when both parents are white and come from a white up bringing...
why why why why.

Personal I think ill go with a bit of option 1 and 2...

To add: its good when a new EP comes out, something new to do... and thank god we some peple
that are more awesome than you, and I that come up with these awesome hacks/mods. other wise...
we wouldn't know any different to the base game. *holds breathe and passes out*

10 more days... woohoo! (on a tropical island)
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 August 22, 15:28:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check to see if your objects.package is set as read-only.  If so, change it before installing the new EP.
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 August 23, 03:05:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to be one of those first-day release people. With Pets, I procrastinated and actually just installed it a few weeks ago even though I've had it for several months. Seasons is in its case, uninstalled as of yet. Waiting until the mods are updated, bugs identified, and the game is patched is much, much less stressful for me. I'll probably buy Bon Voyage soon after it is released, but I doubt I will install it right away. I still need to discover all the cool Seasons stuff!
Simgoose
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 August 23, 03:47:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check to see if your objects.package is set as read-only.  If so, change it before installing the new EP.
So if it is Read-Only... then change it to NOT Read Only?
Or If it is Read-Only... leave it that way?

And what does this cause if left the other way to what should be done?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 August 23, 06:23:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It should be Read-Only

If it is not, there is a chance it may become corrupt at some point, requiring you to find the original file on the disk and replace it.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 August 23, 07:10:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It should normally be read-only, but while installing it might need to be writable.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
suziblue
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 August 23, 17:13:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is pretty much what I do, too. I wait until my "can't play without" hacks/mods are updated and/or tested before I install. However, I've always bought them on the day they came out, mostly due to my teenage daughter who can't be patient and wait to install her copy. She just plays vanilla for a while, ugh. Guess she'll have to wait this time tho' since she got a Macbook Pro for her birthday! Cheesy
Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 August 23, 17:35:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm usually a little bored with the game by the time a new EP comes out, so I jump on the chance to have something new to do.  I move my downloads and important neighborhoods out and play with a new, cc-less sim in a preset neighborhood until the hacks are updated.  With the hacks I've been using in my main 'hood in, and provided I don't notice any bugs, I'll put my neighborhoods and downloads back in and go on my merry way.  I have had far fewer issues with my game than most people and I have a high tolerance for Eaxis stupidity, so I don't stress over it too much.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 August 23, 23:09:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a horrible experience with something in my CC folder causing all sorts of havoc with Seasons, which I installed a couple weeks after it was released, so I am very wary about the new EP.

Definitely back everything up. Definitely take out your downloads, and add them back in slowly. I replaced all of my hacks two or three times with Seasons in the process of trying to figure out what made the game crash, so I would also advise doing this as well.

flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 August 24, 11:08:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good grief.  It's a game!  Why is everything so fucking HARD!!!!  Someone is just trying to do my head in - it's a conspiracy I tells ya! 

I got things ass over tit, as per usual.  Bought H&M after Seasons..no biggie.  Until I went to install it.  Angry  Backed up my folders, I put the disc in, followed all the steps, registered the game, only to get to the end of installation and got an error message, saying that I had to un-install Seasons as the installation of H&M would not be complete without doing so. *headdesk*
 So I tried it again.  Same message, *double headdesk*  so I uninstalled Seasons, installed H&M, reinstalled Seasons, and got  **drumroll**  a totally vanilla game  Tongue  Somehow in the process I lost everything
Yes, a very flowerchile thing to do, and I'm half expecting it to happen again with BV, but this time - I'm prepared!!!  No, not really, but it makes me feel better just thinking that.  Stay tuned.......

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 August 24, 11:09:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* J. M. Pescado points and laughs.

Flowerchiles Suck.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: