More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 16:24:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Moving the butterfly spot
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Moving the butterfly spot  (Read 8112 times)
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Moving the butterfly spot
« on: 2007 August 09, 13:56:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having problems with the seasons butterflies.  They keep spawning on an idiotic spot on concrete next to the driveway, when I think they'd be much happier in the large lush garden.
I've burninated them repeatedly with the stuck object remover, but they respawn at the same spot.  I've tried placing objects on the spot, but then they just spawn somewhere close by.  Can I manually place the butterfly/firefly emitter somehow?

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Moving the butterfly spot
« Reply #1 on: 2007 August 09, 18:15:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't even click on the butterflies/fireflies.  I keep moving the cursor all around near them and on the ground but the little hand never pops up.  So I can never direct my sims to catch them, they just have to do it spontaneously.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 09, 18:18:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You won't get a hand -- you only get the little star-like icon that appears when you're going to tell a sim to 'go here' or 'watch clouds' outside. When you click on the ground under the butterflies (or fireflies at night), a menu option is added to 'catch butterflies/fireflies'.

Gwill -- I usually see the butterflies/fireflies spawn near a tree or bush, and moving the tree/bush moves the spawning spot.  If you have a tree by the driveway, maybe try moving it and see if they follow?  Or put a tree/bush somewhere else on the lot and see if they move there?

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 09, 20:53:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was hoping for something a little more direct.  Would one of those collections of game items do the trick?

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Mens Mortuus
Blathering Buffoon

Reaper haz ur plumbbob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 10, 05:46:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gwill -- I usually see the butterflies/fireflies spawn near a tree or bush, and moving the tree/bush moves the spawning spot.  If you have a tree by the driveway, maybe try moving it and see if they follow?  Or put a tree/bush somewhere else on the lot and see if they move there?

No, they don't. I have the same issue as well. There are no bushes or trees, in fact all plants are on the other side of the lot. At least Gwill's are next to the driveway... mine always hover at the garbage cans! Lips sealed Flies in disguise, maybe?

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes...
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 15, 05:02:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I once had 'moveobjects on' while doing some remodeling and accidentally picked up the butterflies. I just put them back where they were, but I wonder if you moved them to another spot they would stay where you put them?

And not to hijack the thread, but there are a couple of other things whose 'Spots' I would like to move. Like where the pets decide to do their business. Some like the front porch next to the door. Burninating these spots don't help any more than burninating butterfly spots. The pet is technically peeing outside, so you can't even scold the pet for peeing in a dumb place. Then there is the invisible spot on Comm lots that every new visitor must go to before anyone can interact with them. Of course, the favorite spot is in the kitchen to get in the way of the cook staff. There is another "spot" that was bothering the dickens out of me last week, but for some reason I can't remember it just now.

So is there any way to Burninate these "spots"? I've tried "Nuke Attraction Markers" on the lot debugger. Evidently, these spots are not attraction markers. So I wonder what I actually nuked?

You won't get a hand -- you only get the little star-like icon that appears when you're going to tell a Sim to 'go here' or 'watch clouds' outside. When you click on the ground under the butterflies (or fireflies at night), a menu option is added to 'catch butterflies/fireflies'.

Mine won't turn into a 'star' like it does when you point to an object. It remains the 'footprint' but instead of just 'go here' or 'run here' on the menu, the 'catch butterflies/fireflies' is added to the menu. Having the cursor turn into a star would be better so I know I'm in the right place. So does everyone else's cursor turn into a star? Is it just my game that is weird?

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 August 15, 07:11:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems to be butterflies spawn near flowers or bushes, on the first patch of land with one land tile free on at least three sides. Therefore no floor tiles or lawn decorations can be placed too close to the flowers, or the flutterbys are shifted away.

My cursor becoms a star when I can catch them. Perhaps this is tied to the snow cursor?
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 August 15, 10:13:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

God knows I've tried picking up the darned butterflies.

My butterflies are definitely on paved ground, and nowhere near any flowers or bushes.
It also seems like my butterflies absolutely refuse to be caged in.  The butterfly spot is always outside the fenced in garden.

This is not just one lot either, it's five.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 August 15, 10:18:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A fully fenced garden could do it. A caged in area (even with the steppable fences) is not always considered outside. Make sure at least one side (like a lot edge) is not fenced.
You can use water (a lake) as a border and still have butterflys,
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 August 15, 19:49:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My main issues with the butterfly spot is that they tend to spawn immediately on lot load with a bare lot (no floor tiles, no bushes or flowers or anything but the sims, mailbox, trashcan, and sidewalk) and a newly arrived family, during the video, before I can press pause. They then proceed to spawn right where I need foundation. And I can't pick them up in build mode. My only solution is to have someone catch the dratted things. Then I have to go back into build/buy mode, move the dumb sims who have decided to pelt each other with pillows or waterballoons and the jars of bugs, save and proceed.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 August 15, 20:08:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For some reason my game has a fixation with the lot debugger and macrotastics box.  I always keep them outdoors in the back yard and usually the butterflies will spawn there.  Although in my current lot I've moved the boxes around so many times that the buterflies gave up and went for the garbage can mailbox area.  My sims are equally interested in the boxes.  They MUST run alllll the way around the house to fingerprint scan both boxes every time they use the scanner.  Before I had nowhatsthis installed they would all line up and "what's this?" both boxes before even entering the house to look at their usable new toys.  I think its kind of funny and I sort of like them interacting with these objects or else I would just throw the boxes into a shack with no doors.  I hope to one day be quick enough on the trigger to catch them with a funny thought bubble while one of them is looking at/scanning/whatever one of the boxes.  They don't obsess over the visitor controller or ACR controller at all.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 August 15, 22:27:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zaz - shift-click error them. Or use Pesc's invisible object destroyer.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 August 16, 02:52:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When i first enter a lot the butterfly spot always seems to be close to the mailbox. or sometimes near the center of the lot, never at the back. Its always somewhere near the front (usualy tiny) yard. This annoys the piss out of me when i have extensive gardens on the side or a woodsy area at the back of the house. They do not seem to be interested in the bushes. After a while they will spawn near the flowers (so long as they are near the invisible center line of the lot, and only on the front side of the invisible line) but thats only after a many sim hours of game play. The first firebug or butterly spawn  after lot load will always be near the mailbox.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 August 17, 01:15:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If buttterflies were to be caught and released in a different spot would they stay in the new spot? I've never released any, so I don't know what happens to them.

Does anybody else think G-spot when they see the thread title, or am I just a perv?
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 August 17, 02:15:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, TaWanda, that's the same impression I get.  Cheesy
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 August 17, 14:26:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there was the famous 'Venus Butterfly' from the old LA Law series -- that comes to mind, too. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 August 17, 20:07:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If buttterflies were to be caught and released in a different spot would they stay in the new spot? I've never released any, so I don't know what happens to them.
The couple of times I've released butterflies, my sim went to the back of the lot.  I don't remember how long the butterflies stayed there.
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 August 18, 08:58:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So is there any way to Burninate these "spots"? I've tried "Nuke Attraction Markers" on the lot debugger. Evidently, these spots are not attraction markers. So I wonder what I actually nuked?

I believe that option nukes the markers that cause farting hearts from thought bubbles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 August 18, 12:06:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's one of them, yes. They have been known to become corrupt, causing your game to crash or error repeatedly, which is why the option to pzorch them exists. As they seem to serve no perceptibly useful purpose, no harm is done by nuking them as often as you want.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: