More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 23:03:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Marking second cousins as family - Okay or not?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Marking second cousins as family - Okay or not?  (Read 13311 times)
elle.jae
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Marking second cousins as family - Okay or not?
« on: 2007 August 05, 02:54:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, I'm getting into my 4th generation in Pleasantview, so some of my families have expanded quite a bit. I'd really like to keep second cousins from being attracted to each other and being able to procreate, so would it screw up anything if I mark them as "Family" in SimPE?

Just checking before I do it, just in case it's a VBT.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Marking second cousins as family - Okay or not?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 August 05, 03:13:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Harmless. A lot of default Maxian sims seem to already "ineligible" each other with that flag, but it's not ironclad.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 05, 03:17:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have nothing useful to add, but I think of Sims as like cats. Some of my favorite Sims have been inbred as Kentucky hillfolk*...though they didn't know it. One day you kind of go "wow, this neighborhood has a lot of redheads."

I understand your concern, though.

*I make this slur because I am one generation removed. These are my people. I can barely see the screen due to my crossed eyes.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 05, 06:29:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*I make this slur because I am one generation removed. These are my people. I can barely see the screen due to my crossed eyes.

And protruding buck teeth.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 05, 07:44:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heh, the other day I realized I have a sim who can say "My niece (mothers side) gave birth to my Uncle (fathers side)   Roll Eyes

Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 05, 08:25:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sleepycat: I have been enjoying your Riverhaven story. I've no idea how you keep up with the inheritance as my sim relationships are complicated enough without twiddling family flags.

On a related note, I was wondering how marriage affects how the game determines family relations. I haven't altered any family flags, yet some sims show lightning bolts but only have family interactions available. For example Baron Tamar married Patrick Ottomas (youngest of the fugly Ottomas spawn). Baron shows 3-bolt attractions for both of Patrick's half-alien twin sisters (who are in turn living in another house and married to Ramaswami spawn). When Baron invites either sister over, the lightning bolts are there but he only has family interactions available. I am running with both ACR and the romancemod so that may affect things.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 August 05, 09:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm currently playing a neigbourhood with 5 playable families who interbreed on a rotation scheme. Come to think of it, that means that everyone is at least a second cousin by now.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
elle.jae
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 August 05, 13:57:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have nothing useful to add, but I think of Sims as like cats. Some of my favorite Sims have been inbred as Kentucky hillfolk*...though they didn't know it. One day you kind of go "wow, this neighborhood has a lot of redheads."

I understand your concern, though.

I've always believed that there must be some sort of correlation between literacy and nightvision in inbred Kentucky hillfolk.* The less you can read, the better your nightvision. That's the only way I can explain the poorly lit roads there.

Thanks for go-ahead, JMP!

*I'm from Indiana, so I have to say this kind of thing about Kentuckians. It's nothing personal, just the natural order of things.
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 August 05, 15:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heh, the other day I realized I have a sim who can say "My niece (mothers side) gave birth to my Uncle (fathers side)   Roll Eyes

Close but no cigar, you're not allowed to crow about it until one of your sims can say "I'm my own grandpa!"   Smiley

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/54702/im_my_own_grandpa/

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 August 05, 16:43:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a thread over on S2C about "scandals" of various kinds in players' neighborhoods, and one person posted about having used that song as inspiration for a storyline. I think it was that the father in Household A hooked up with the daughter in Household B, while the son in Household A hooked up with the mother in Household B, so he became his own father's stepfather.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 August 05, 17:34:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back in my old neigbourhood I had a sim who I would breed into my family every 3rd generation.  Great grandparents are not family.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 August 05, 17:57:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And protruding buck teeth.

HYUK HYUK HYUK!

Cheesy

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 August 05, 18:39:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 August 05, 20:40:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sleepycat: I have been enjoying your Riverhaven story. I've no idea how you keep up with the inheritance as my sim relationships are complicated enough without twiddling family flags.

On a related note, I was wondering how marriage affects how the game determines family relations. I haven't altered any family flags, yet some sims show lightning bolts but only have family interactions available. For example Baron Tamar married Patrick Ottomas (youngest of the fugly Ottomas spawn). Baron shows 3-bolt attractions for both of Patrick's half-alien twin sisters (who are in turn living in another house and married to Ramaswami spawn). When Baron invites either sister over, the lightning bolts are there but he only has family interactions available. I am running with both ACR and the romancemod so that may affect things.

Thank you, I'm glad your enjoying Riverhaven  Cheesy  Who's related to who and how has certainly gotten more confusing *laughs* 

sounds like you have the 'in-law flag' problem with Baron, you can bypass it by setting them as 'in love' I use InSIM to do that but you can also use SimPE.  It's the only way I have found to bypass the 'in-law flags' as SimPE and InSIM don't see them. Sometimes the Family Tie Flags can interfer with a sim getting pregnant too.

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 August 05, 21:36:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

img snipped

Postsecret?

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 August 05, 21:48:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Natch. Not MY secret, I hasten to add.

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 August 06, 05:36:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've always believed that there must be some sort of correlation between literacy and nightvision in inbred Kentucky hillfolk.* The less you can read, the better your nightvision. That's the only way I can explain the poorly lit roads there.
[/quote]

Nah, thats all hillbilly like areas. In my home town most of the back roads have no lights what so ever, except for houses that are way the hell off the road. I've gotten so used to it that I now have a horrible time driving in the dark in Lit areas. I can see perfectly well by my headlights and night vision but absolutely nothing with street lights. Of course in my area, illiteracy seems to have an effect in how much you can function while inebriated. The less you are able to read the more alcohol you are able to pack away and still drive without swerving...

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 August 06, 11:52:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That isn't true. I'm quite literate, yet I drink enough vodka to kill you if you try it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 August 06, 15:19:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That isn't true. I'm quite literate, yet I drink enough vodka to kill you if you try it.
The amount I can drink is directly proportionate to the number of cute, likely available, boys in the area. This is why, when out with my two best friends and their boyfriend/fiance (also friends of mine) I'm out after two Deliriums. At New Years, surrounded by boys, I'm downing whole bottles of Bailey's and Makers Mark and multiple tumblers of champagne with no hangover. 'Course I don't drive.

This, of course, goes to show that I should be surrounded by cute guys at all times.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 August 06, 19:11:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It merely applies to the area I come from, and i should have been more specific. Its beer they pack away ... packs and packs of beer. Not liqueur at all, but piss. They are obviously drunk yet they are still functioning ...mostly ....can't walk but they can drive for some reason. They can barely read and have difficulty writing.
As for myself, I can actually drink several of my male friends, that are twice as big as I am, under the table so long as its mainly rum. They are rather stunned and seem to treat it as some kind of party trick

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 August 06, 19:30:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed that if people are flagged as family, they don't necessarily show up as contributing to the number of friends necessary for job promotions.  That is, they can register on the relations as friends, best friends, loves, etc. but on the skills/job section, the family members do not contribut to the necessary friends number (or is that just if they live in the same lot?).

So, if you mark a lot of sims as family, you may not only make them ineligible to marry/woohoo, but you may find that suddenly other sims don't have the number of friends needed for job promotions.

That's the only "down" side I can think of.

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 August 06, 20:46:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With the family-friend-promo thing, a family member can count as a family friend as long as they are friends with the spouse. So if the husband is friends with his mother-in-law, she counts as a friend. Or if he's friends with his wife's cousin. Or similar. But being friends with ones' own cousin doesn't help. This is contrary to the real world, where nepotism kicks ass...or is a bitch, depending on which end of the stick you're on. I've been on both.

Of course, the family-friend-promo thing makes mass intermarriage a bad thing, because there becomes very few playables who are valid for family friend status.

But then, my game seems hell-bent on going down into a firey pit of chaos, anyways. I have a psuedo-alien fortune sim in Crater City borking guys and getting pregnant with them behind Trepie's back (ACR), and Lorelei committing statuatory with the same teen BastDawn (her "daughter") has a thing for in Monopoly, where Trepie and Nekonoai can't keep off each other and stop procreating like bunnies.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 August 07, 13:53:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But then, my game seems hell-bent on going down into a firey pit of chaos, anyways. I have a psuedo-alien fortune sim in Crater City borking guys and getting pregnant with them behind Trepie's back (ACR), and Lorelei committing statuatory with the same teen BastDawn (her "daughter") has a thing for in Monopoly, where Trepie and Nekonoai can't keep off each other and stop procreating like bunnies.

Ya.  My Oakenwald hood (first hood) went like that - all playables having affairs with any other playable that they met (during the days when I used the kittenkiller) - ultimately, there were too few playables eligible for marriage, too many dead townies, and the bloat and chaos started to cause problems.  I ultimately couldn't keep track, and kittenkiller's risky woohoo meant that population growth due to inbreeding was explosive.  Finally, I got so confused (and annoyed at the rampant error messages) that I abandoned the hood and built Mittelschmerz, a nice clean custom desert, and removed InTeen.  I now control (more or less) the procreation function and population growth, so that, even though my sims still fall in love like mad, at least they don't pop spawn at an alarming rate. 

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 August 07, 15:35:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only have Crater City set to allow unmarried pregnancies and had done so because I wanted a shot-gun Trepie/Rachelle wedding. Still got the shot-gun wedding, just another sim's baby. Any "accidental" pregnancies in Monopoly are either engineered or the result of normal married ACR actions. Heck, Trepie there is on his third kid with Nekonoai (with step-daughter Annann and son Pescado) and they still went and tried last night. Thank goodness there were no chimes, as I honestly don't know where I'd fit a sixth child in their 8x8 two-story. Already had to kick the dog outside. But I do like the chaos. Without it, the Pennybags would have continued to be a happy little family, and I was going to have issues doing what I wanted with Douglas if he fell for someone his age.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 August 07, 20:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol. Assmitten - Is that Harry Potter's butt that's twitching?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: