More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 07:53:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Poll: Substituting Recolors
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Should I go to the trouble of replacing ugly downloaded object textures with recolors I like better?  (Voting closed: 2007 August 05, 01:03:32)
No - the space and game clutter you'll save won't be worth the time it would take. - 0 (0%)
Hell No - you shouldn't alter other peoples' items without permission, even for your own use. - 0 (0%)
Go for it - your game will be tidier and speedier. - 6 (12.5%)
Sure - it's your game and your time, do as you like. - 34 (70.8%)
Certainly - you clearly have no life, so you need things to keep you busy. - 5 (10.4%)
The obligatory BOOBIES! option. - 3 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Poll: Substituting Recolors  (Read 5090 times)
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
Poll: Substituting Recolors
« on: 2007 July 29, 01:03:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never done a poll, so why the hell not.  This should be a nice non-controversial topic.  I hope.  XD

I'm somewhat O/C about keeping my downloads organized and every possible aspect of my game pruned of stuff I don't like/never use.  I've considered more than once going through all my object meshes and replacing hideous default textures with recolors I consider nicer, to save some disk space and load time and to cut down the number of useless catalog icons I have to click through, but it would take quite some time.

So what do y'all think?  For the record, I've already replaced my defaults for practically everything, hidden a bunch of Maxis crap (some of it via a method which makes my game crash if I load a lot containing stuff that's hidden--surprisingly not a problem very often, since I prefer to build my own houses,) Compressorized everything, re-categorized a sizeable chunk of it, and done the texture switch with one or two items that just had too many craptacular textures to be tolerated.  Should I launch a full-scale texture replacement campaign, and perhaps report back here whether or not it makes an appreciable difference in gameplay?  Or am I just carrying the whole thing too far and need to go talk to a shrink about this obsessive micromanagement problem of mine?  XD

* Option #2 was included just for shits & giggles, incidentally.  I have no compunction whatsoever about changing things for use in my own game.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Poll: Substituting Recolors
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 29, 01:17:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whether or not you should go through with this really depends on the amount of crappy default textures you have. The amount of effort you will have to put in to locate the better textures is also important.
CandyToast
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP/INTJ Half C-3P0, Half evil genius

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 July 29, 01:23:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I had the ability to do it I'd do it in my own game, however,  I'm OCD to start with. I agree with Flamingo though, be sure not to bite off more than you can chew.

"The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions"
Fold Spindle Mutilate!
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 July 29, 02:26:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have actually considered doing this myself. I use a lot of default replacements (skintone, eyes, lipstick, eyeshadow, eyebrows, a few clothing meshes) and I do a lot of pruning, recategorizing, binning, etc. -- in fact, right this moment I'm binning and creating missing colors for eyebrows and facial hair -- and I do have a few things I've downloaded that have a bunch of recolors I like, but the default texture is meh. Not sure I'll ever get around to it, though, given how much other crap I have to do.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 July 29, 02:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go for it. Part of my cleaning project included editing approximately 70 outfits to remove painted on jewelry (hate it, it looks flat and crappy and unreal). It took a few hours, but it was totally worth it. I used to pass over the items because I hated the jewelry but didn't want to delete them because otherwise they were nice. Now everything's usable.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 July 29, 02:36:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes and no. Cheesy

I'm envious that people have the time to do this stuff. Sometimes I spend ages organising sim stuff, to the detriment of actually playing. Then I wonder if gaming has turned into a chore instead of fun. But then, the people who are attracted to sims tend to be micro-managers and strategists anyway, so it kind of fits the personality profile.

Plus, there's something very satisfying about having things done and right.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 July 29, 02:39:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go for it. Part of my cleaning project included editing approximately 70 outfits to remove painted on jewelry (hate it, it looks flat and crappy and unreal). It took a few hours, but it was totally worth it. I used to pass over the items because I hated the jewelry but didn't want to delete them because otherwise they were nice. Now everything's usable.

Heh, I've done that before too, and I may do some more one of these days.  Though I often solve the problem by just not downloading something if it has attached jewelry.  Wink

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 July 29, 08:45:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, I've done that before too, and I may do some more one of these days.  Though I often solve the problem by just not downloading something if it has attached jewelry.  Wink

Unfortunately, clothing creators tend to be overly creative about their screenshots, so it can be hard to tell if something is a part of the clothing or just an accessory put there to sprite things up.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 July 29, 08:54:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting. If an object looks yuck I'm unlikely to download it in the first place so I don't think I would save much by weeding out/replacing undesirable textures. I'd much rather remove large swathes of crap that come with the game that I'd never use in a million years. Floor and wall coverings are amongst the biggest offenders. It would have been much better if EAxis had designated one default for each type of inventory item (to prevent crashes) with the option to remove all their others. I know that view is completely at odds with their build and share policy but I make my own stuff for myself and download CC that I like. It looks like we're all egging you on to do it, so good luck!

akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 July 29, 13:37:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting. If an object looks yuck I'm unlikely to download it in the first place

I won't either, but if I then later see a bunch of nice recolors for it, I'll download the mesh with the ugly texture so I can have the pretty recolors.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 July 30, 02:40:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting. If an object looks yuck I'm unlikely to download it in the first place so I don't think I would save much by weeding out/replacing undesirable textures. I'd much rather remove large swathes of crap that come with the game that I'd never use in a million years. Floor and wall coverings are amongst the biggest offenders. It would have been much better if EAxis had designated one default for each type of inventory item (to prevent crashes) with the option to remove all their others. I know that view is completely at odds with their build and share policy but I make my own stuff for myself and download CC that I like. It looks like we're all egging you on to do it, so good luck!

Thanks!  Cheesy  What sometimes happens is I'll come across a lovely recolor for something with a link to the mesh, and I'll want it for the recolor but OMG UGLY DEFAULT TEXTURE.  And then every once in a while I'll find a mesh with a hideous texture and think, "Hmm, I like the item, but I'll have to recolor it before I can use it."  (And of course sometimes I do get around to it, sometimes I don't.  I'd prolly fix some of the "didn't"s as part of the project.)  Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: