More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 04:09:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Video Card Controller????
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Video Card Controller????  (Read 5079 times)
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Video Card Controller????
« on: 2007 July 31, 21:49:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there an animal called a video card control center?  Or a video card controller?  And, if there is, what does it do? Better yet, what is it???  Appreciate any response....condescending or otherwise.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Video Card Controller????
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 31, 23:10:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

An example of a "control center" is the ATI Catalyst Control Center, which is software which allows you to play around with the settings of your ATI card, overclock the card (if your system allows it), etc.

You can find out what it does by visiting the ATI site, or Google your questions and you'll come up with about nine million hits.

Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 01, 18:10:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Strictly speaking, the video card or video board is a "graphics controller" or "display adapter." It can be a separate component—an actual video board you plug into a slot on the motherboard—or it can be incorporated in the motherboard's chipset, which controls the functions of the devices on the motherboard, including the CPU, RAM, PCI and AGP slots, and I/O ports (serial, parallel, IDE, SATA, etc.). "Integrated graphics" refers to a graphics controller integrated into the chipset.

Regardless of the way graphics is implemented on your computer, you need to have driver software installed to see anything on your screen. The driver passes instructions from your software to your graphics controller. In Windows, if you don't install the manufacturer's driver, Windows will use its built-in generic VGA driver, so you will have a display image. However, your control over the display will be limited, and the advanced features of your graphics controller will not be available. When you install the specific drivers for your graphics controller, most of its features will now be available to applications, and some of its user-adjustable driver settings will be available under the Advanced button on the Settings tab of the Display Properties dialogue box (this is for Windows). However, in order to have full access to the controller's features, you need to install the control software from the manufacturer in addition to the bare drivers. ATi calls their control software either the Control Panel (for driver releases through 5.11) or Catalyst Control Center (CCC - for versions since 5.1).

CCC requires .NET Framework to be installed, and runs in the background, needlessly using system resources. Early versions were reported to be buggy, but that no longer seems to be a problem. Nonetheless, for most people, having CCC installed and running is needless overkill when they make few if any changes to their driver settings once their controller is installed and configured. Although ATi states that the old Control Panel is not supported in Catalyst versions after 5.11, I continue to use the 5.11 version of Control Panel with more recent versions of the ATi drivers with no problems (currently I'm on Catalyst 7.1, from January 2007). Note that if you have a recent ATi board (X1xxx series or newer) that supports overclocking from within ATi's driver, you need to use CCC instead of the Control Panel if you want to overclock your ATi display adapter (they call it a "graphics accelerator"). I suspect the Control Panel will not work under Vista.

Catalyst 7.2 includes an overhauled version of CCC which offers "significant performance gains," a substantial reduction in start-up time, and improved "overall responsiveness"; "reduced system resource usage"; "new 3D preview which significantly improves the ability for users to understand the benefits of enabling" the various features available in the driver; and "increased stability." Note that subsequent releases fixed many of the problems introduced in this version.   Tongue

Catalyst 7.4 improves OpenGL performance for X1xxx boards.

Catalyst 7.5:  More OpenGL improvements, and DirectX 10 support for ATi's new HD line.

Catalyst 7.6:  Assorted fixes.

Catalyst 7.7:  Current. New AVIVO features, some performance improvements for the HD boards, and the usual fixes.

ATi releases a new driver set every month. It isn't necessary to upgrade to each new release—while these often fix existing problems, they can introduce new ones. Also, the improvements are usually only for some graphics boards and may not apply to the one you own. Finally, current drivers support ATi boards only as far back as the 9500 series, so if you have an older board you can't use these anyway.

In all cases, be sure to read the release notes before installing any new driver set, especially the "known issues" for your operating system.

ATi seems to no longer have driver sets earlier than Catalyst 6.1 on its Web site, but you can get earlier versions here. This site does not have a separate download for the Control Panel, but this other site has recent official driver sets incorporating the Control Panel (selected releases only)—look for those releases that show CP instead of CCC.

If you happen to have the driver CD for an older ATi board, you can probably get the Control Panel from that.

EDIT:  ATi generally offers files that combine the drivers and the control application, and also separate files for each (in other words, you can get just the drivers or just the control application). The driver-only files are usually in this format:

7-1_xp_dd_40211.exe

where 7-1 is the the release version and xp_dd_ indicates the display drivers for WinXP. The stand-alone Control Panel file is 5-11_xp-2k_cp_27345.exe — note the _cp_ which indicates Control Panel (the stand-alone Catalyst Control Center file has _ccc_ in that position).

nVidia has similar unified-driver packages for its products, with a control-panel app which appears to be called nView. The same cautions remain in effect:  Read the release notes before installing any new driver set. nVidia's release notes are much more slick than are ATi's (nVidia has always been much stronger at marketing), but I was amused to see that the list of problems, fixes, and limitations runs to 42 pages for the current release (162.18, 26 July), compared to ATi's single HTML page. Some of this is due to formatting, but still. . . .    Cool

So, no, you do not need the manufacturer's control application, but having it installed and configuring your display adapter properly will greatly improve your computer's graphics performance. You can find out pretty much anything you need to know about configuring your display adapter here. Just choose Ati Catalyst or nVidia Forceware from the list Quick Links, as appropriate.

« Last Edit: 2007 August 02, 19:54:23 by Hegelian » Logged

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 01, 21:41:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you both for replying so quickly.  My computer is fairly new.  It's less than a year old, but I must be jinxed or something, because I've had nothing but trouble with it.  First, my hard drive caved in and today, I found out that my video card went.  It's problems, after problems, after problems......Can a video card go bad ( if you will) within a year? I'm so lost.  I have:
AMD Athlon (tm) 64*2
Duel core processor
3800 +2.01 GHZ
2 GB Ram
and ATI Radeon Graphics Card X1600 Series
XP Home
Many thanks for your time and help
« Last Edit: 2007 August 01, 22:58:29 by summerbliz » Logged
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 01, 23:03:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good grief.  You sure have suffered some computer disasters in an awfully short time.  Did you contact ATI about the card?  Not sure what the warranty is, but it could be that the card was bad.

Did you build the system or buy it?  If the latter, who was the manufacturer?
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 01, 23:56:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Appreciate the empathy!  My system was built by a friend, who's a tech.  Well known in the city.  He can't believe what's happening neither.  He replaced my hard drive and put in a new video card ( no charge).  I've had drivers literally disappear as well.  I've had 11 full clean re-installs since last June.  He's built others, and I know nobody else has had the problems that I've had.  I'm at my wit's end.  I'm going to ask something stupid, please bear with me..... Could custom content cause any kind of problems with the computer, let alone Sims 2?  I have a ton of downloads.  Thankyou in advance for responding.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 August 02, 00:27:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd say after you finish all the actual tech repairs, your next step should be exorcism. Wink

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 August 02, 00:54:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's crossed my mind

Not a bad idea!

Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 August 02, 00:57:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could custom content cause any kind of problems with the computer, let alone Sims 2?  I have a ton of downloads.

No. But a defective motherboard could lead to the premature failure of other components. So could a defective or failing power supply, or one that is really cheap and so has very poor voltage regulation.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 August 02, 01:25:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much!!  I'll speak to him tomorrow.
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 August 02, 19:58:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've made a small addition to my original post.   Tongue

Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 August 03, 00:29:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Other things that will cause strange failures are a power supply that is too small (although that doesn't usually result in componenent life shortening), fluctuations in your power - and I don't just mean surges - we had one fellow whose computer was never well behaved until he opened the power point he was using and blew out the dust. Also dust in the machine (especially if you live in an area where the dirt has a high level of conductive elements) and I once saw a machine where somebody had managed to wire the start button in such a way that the machine worked but badly - that one was a fluke though because usually if somebody wires the start button wrong the machine just doesn't start.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: