More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 17:58:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  BFBVFS or Just a Nuisance?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: BFBVFS or Just a Nuisance?  (Read 5102 times)
Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
BFBVFS or Just a Nuisance?
« on: 2007 July 26, 13:21:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am trying my hand at making  medieval careers to replace the maxis careers because I don't want my medieval sims walking around in crisp white lab coats etc.

I have had a custom career overwrite a maxis one before and other than an odd looking lifetime want it didn't seem to cause any problem, but at the time I didn't want to lose my Science career so I took out the custom one. Therefore i didn't get a chance to see what the long term effect would be if or if there was one.

My questions are these:

Will it cause BFBVFS?
Is there a way to update lifetime wants to reflect new custom wants?

While I'm asking questions one more just because:
Is it possible to have a custom car pool that mirrors how dormies go to class? Having a medieval sim walk to work and return in that manner would add realism as peasants should not be able to afford fancy carriages or be carted around by such. This last is hopeful (wishful) thinking, but maybe someone awesome will surprise me Grin

Your ears hear but you don't listen,
Your eyes look but you don't see,
You complain about things gone wrong,
And then put the blame upon me.
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: BFBVFS or Just a Nuisance?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 26, 14:34:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will it cause BFBVFS?

It is hard to see any way in which overwriting a default career would have negative affects assuming you are starting a new neighborhood.  However, I see no reason why you would choose this course over creating a career that did not overwrite the Maxis defaults.  Since any playable sim will only have a job you choose for them, and the only time you see NPCs in career clothes is when they come home from work with your playables, it seems unnecessary to risk a possible (although unlikely) conflict.

Is there a way to update lifetime wants to reflect new custom wants?

Maybe.  But it would be less of a hassle to simply use the college clock to reroll any unwanted lifetime wants until you get a desired one.

Is it possible to have a custom car pool that mirrors how dormies go to class?

You can definitely assign a custom vehicle for the carpool by replacing whatever is currently in the "vehicle GUID" fields with the split GUID of your custom transport.  I'm not sure you'd be able to actually have the walk off uni method; however it wouldn't be that unrealistic for your serfs to head off to a day shoveling much in some sort of wooden cart.  Granted, this would require a bit of meshing.
Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 July 26, 15:10:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want to overwrite the maxis careers because I often have my sims marry townies and I like that they come employed, but I don't want them to have modern careers if they are in a medieval neighborhood (I have a separate user account for this 'hood on my computer, so custom career files for this themed neighborhood won't effect the others).

"Is there a way to update lifetime wants to reflect new custom wants?"

I mistyped because I'm a doofus. I meant to ask if there is a way to edit how a lifetime want displays so that it will show the custom title rather than question marks.

Unfortunately I suck at meshing.

B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 July 26, 15:28:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want to overwrite the maxis careers because I often have my sims marry townies and I like that they come employed, but I don't want them to have modern careers if they are in a medieval neighborhood (I have a separate user account for this 'hood on my computer, so custom career files for this themed neighborhood won't effect the others).

In that case, I'd say go ahead with it.  As I mentioned before, I can't think of any problems that overwriting the default careers would cause.  Others use the same method for other themed hoods (especially sci fi) and I don't hear of any uniqe problems arising as a result.

"Is there a way to update lifetime wants to reflect new custom wants?"

I mistyped because I'm a doofus. I meant to ask if there is a way to edit how a lifetime want displays so that it will show the custom title rather than Huh

I would imagine there is a text field you can edit with SimPE that is blank at the moment but can easily be filled with the appropriate title.  If you check over on MtS2, I think there is a thread detailing how someone changed the display for the 50 first dates want.  Once you know what package to look in for this information, check how the "Reach the top of the [insert] career" is constructed.  Hopefully it will point you in the correct direction.  If you can't find the thread, I'll look for it when I get home from work today.

Unfortunately I suck at meshing.

As do I.  You may want to take a look at the majors for Uni.  It's possible you can find how the walk off interaction is called and duplicate it in your career.  Apart from this, I can't think of any other ideas. 

Out of curiosity, without some custom vehicles, how will you deal with travel to community lots? 
Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 July 26, 15:51:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Out of curiosity, without some custom vehicles, how will you deal with travel to community lots? 

There are buggies and horse drawn carriages that other people have created that I can download for wealthy sims, but none of them are ugly enough to suit as a carpool for a very poor peasant. Of course peasants will never have enough simoleons to buy a carriage. They have grow their own food; they can't go anywhere to buy it.

phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 July 26, 16:25:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I've followed this thread, I kept thinking I'd seen something recently about medieval careers and car pool vehicles.  I finally remembered where I'd seen it.

Madame Mim has a really cool-sounding medieval neighborhood with default medieval townies and NPCs.  When you take the link from her thread to the site where all the information is listed, among the things listed is someplace to get medieval careers and car pool vehicles.

Madame Mim's thread is here.  (I thought it might be useful for you to see the thread).  From there she has a link to where her "shopping list" is.

It sounds terribly fun, but I'm not ready to try it yet, myself.  It's on my list, though!  Cheesy

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 July 26, 16:55:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I saw that too, but much of her shopping list is found on MTS2 and they have been having problems for awhile with very slow downloads. In the case of the clothes which can run into the neighborhood of 5 Mb, downloading at a speed of 800 bytes per second is a new kind of torture. If that makes me impatient (MTS2 seems to believe that it does) then I guess I'm impatient.

Thank you for your response though Smiley

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 July 26, 19:10:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it's possible to walk to work, but if you're dead set on not using cars, the captain hero blastoff is a posibility.  It's easier to implement than custom vehicles.
If your replacement careers have the same amount of job levels as the original career, it shouldn't cause any major problems if you choose to remove the career later.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 July 26, 19:14:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is the captain hero blast off the same method used by the Eco-Guru?  I can't remember since it's been a while since I had a sim go through the law enforcement track.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 July 26, 19:45:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it's the same.  The sim walks up to the mailbox and does this "up up and away" thing and disappears into the sky.
I've seen people use it in medieval careers before.  It's a bit silly, but less so than a limo.

As for replacement careers, I figure; if you clone the career you want to replace, and just change the basics, like text strings (titles and chance cards), pay, skill requirements and working hours, then there won't be any problems for job holder when you add/remove the career, except for some possible inconvinience if a sim is at work when you change the career and new working hours are radically different than the old ones.  For instance, if a mad scientist is at work, close to 2AM on Tuseday when you change to the medieval replacement, and the corresponding level in the medieval career has workin hours 9-5 on Friday to Monday, your sim will probably not return naturally until the carpool comes at 5 next Friday.  (I've had something like that happen when a teen sim grew into adult just as his carpool stood outside hoonking, and I decided to see what happened if I directed him to go to work.)
« Last Edit: 2007 July 26, 19:55:06 by Gwill » Logged

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 July 27, 01:11:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think the Captain Hero carpool is going to work for me. I'll just have to try to mesh something and hope that it doesn't hurt my eyes too much to look at it Tongue

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: