More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 17:03:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Poll: Stealth Stairs
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of stealth stairs?  (Voting closed: 2007 August 14, 21:17:29)
I love them. - 11 (13.6%)
I can't stand them. - 35 (43.2%)
I'm indifferent--either way is fine. - 35 (43.2%)
Total Voters: 72

Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Poll: Stealth Stairs  (Read 19578 times)
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
Poll: Stealth Stairs
« on: 2007 July 25, 21:17:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Stealth stairs" are a the result of a building technique using boolprop constrainfloorelevation false, allowing builders to make a short, one-tiled stairway to the floor above with modular stairs (rather than using the usual 4 tiles). Lots of people use this technique to create "elevators" without OFB.

I personally *love* stealth stairs, and I have used them in a number of my uploaded houses. They save a ton of space in small homes, allow you to better connect different floors by placing stairs in multiple locations (thus shortening the path the sim needs to take to reach the stairs), and the sims move from one floor to another more quickly.

I don't even mind the way they look- I think it's fine if they are in a corner, or surrounded by walls/fence, and I just imagine that they are very steep stairs (which maxis doesn't give us, since the steepness of all the stairs are the same). So in my mind they make the game a little more realistic, by allowing us to approximate crappy steep stairs of the kind you might have in real life, esp. in a small home or leading up to a loft.

On the other hand, it seems that a lot of people can't stand them, because they look like they lead into empty space and the sims "jump" from one floor to the other.

So, what's the consensus?

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Poll: Stealth Stairs
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 25, 21:53:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It all depends on how they are done. Basically, they look odd, so I don't want to see them!

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 July 25, 22:19:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I need a one-tile 'stair', I prefer to use Targa's Ascension Tiles/Stairs.  They at least look like they should be a  teleporter-type thing.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 July 26, 01:30:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't build stealth stairs but have had them in downloaded houses, I agree I like them hidden but otherwise no problems. For my own building I use Targa's teleporters, but with a CyberPunk hood I can get away with it. I might have to explore stealth stairs for my 50's hood.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 July 26, 02:11:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I too use Targa's Ascension stairs in my sci-fi hoods. For other purposes, there are ladder-stairs (also by Targa?) that only take up 2 tiles and look like -- you guessed it -- a ladder. As a rule, I prefer not to use stealth-stairs, but when I find them in my downloaded lots, I don't freak out over it.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 July 26, 02:11:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm indifferent on stealth stairs, but there are definitely situations where none of the smaller stairs (ascension, ladder, etc.) that are new-mesh objects look right for the house in question.

Sometime I should really see whether Sims will use Paladin's transporter pads autonomously, and, if not, ask him whether that could be arranged.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 July 26, 03:58:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sound interesting, (I didn't vote because there was no "oh, so that's what stealth stairs are" option)
Have heard a lot of them but prior to your explanation, had assumed they were a custom build item I was missing out on until I added newer EPs.

I use Targa's teleporters too, they get my Sims where they need to be without taking up the room stairs do (will not tolerate anything blocking my view) and because they only need two tiles, they're easy to box in and lock for a 'family only' upstairs.

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 July 26, 05:00:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't like 'em because they look weird in homes. I have used Targa's stairs, but won't ever again because my sims kept getting stuck behind them. Meh, I'm ok with using the regular modular stairs. They may take up a lot of room, but I find ways to work around it.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 July 26, 05:43:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love them because I can lock my staircases without taking up a lot of room. Since they're behind doors, I can't see them anyway, so they can't bother me. Most of my houses have at least one set, though in some it might be just the set going to the attic or basement.

Fail.
Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 July 26, 09:36:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a big fan of "non stair" stairs. I heartfart stealth stairs, personally, but haven't learnt how to make them yet and they aren't a priority for now. I use the one tile "invisible recolor" stair in most of my small houses/campus houses that aren't part of a legacy. If I need to make it clear HOW people are getting up and down, I usually use an elevator.

Although.. the ladder DOES sound interesting.. hmmmm...

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 July 26, 10:26:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Targa's stairs.  I tent to build huge houses, so the space staircases take up des not bother me, but I absolutely hate having things block my view.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 July 26, 14:22:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use a couple of spiral staircases from MTS2 if my house is too small for normal stairs. There is a CW version and a CCW version which covers most occasions, and they look better.

Your ears hear but you don't listen,
Your eyes look but you don't see,
You complain about things gone wrong,
And then put the blame upon me.
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 July 26, 14:29:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not a fan. I prefer to see the stairs or elevator that my sims are climbing (or teleporting through in the case of spirals).

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
pixiejuice
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 July 26, 16:30:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nah, I don't really like them.  Stairs just take up space, and if my big honking stairs in real life take up most of my crappy little house, then they'll take up most of my Sim's house too!  It's only fair! Smiley

I use the ladder if I really need space saving, because that is realistic enough.

yet another sims 2 blog: http://lakesideheights.blogspot.com/
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 July 26, 17:54:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since there's no option to vote for the unawesome who have no idea what the heck they are, I abstain. Cheesy
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 July 26, 17:58:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since there's no option to vote for the unawesome who have no idea what the heck they are, I abstain. Cheesy
"Stealth stairs" are a the result of a building technique using boolprop constrainfloorelevation false, allowing builders to make a short, one-tiled stairway to the floor above with modular stairs (rather than using the usual 4 tiles). Lots of people use this technique to create "elevators" without OFB.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
twooflower
Exasperating Eyesore

INTJ and/or P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2007 July 26, 18:04:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love them, but I've been strongly warned not to use them since I used them in the building contest.  Since then I've been looking for a 12-step program.  Pescado said a 16-step program was needed, but I reminded him that stealth stairs actually have 4 steps already.  Wink I guess I can just use Targa's stairs in small spaces.  Honestly, I will probably continue using stealth stairs.  I'll just be stealthy and only use them in houses I actually play -- and not upload anymore houses with them unless I include a warning.

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 July 26, 18:37:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I had read the description, Venusy, but still hit the wall when trying to visualize a set (too much multitasking here at work).   

Did check out Targa's stairs at MTS2.   Certainly different.  Do like her ladders, though.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 July 26, 19:17:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of Targa's stairs.  They haven't been updated for Pets. Dogs and cats do use them, but the animations are really borked.  I'm not fond of that bit.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 July 26, 21:32:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Targa's ladders a lot, too, but when it comes to uploading houses I'd rather not include them because it helps to minimize the custom content. Stealth stairs don't require anyone to download anything.

Plus, sometimes a ladder doesn't seem appropriate for a house, and the stealth stairs still seem to me like a small staircase. Either that or it's like, don't even try, and accepting that it won't be realistic, whereas the ladder is sort of a weird half-solution.

marjchaos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 July 27, 00:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'd like to vote that I don't hate them, but I don't prefer them.  So if they come with a downloaded house, they don't bother me enough to not use the house, but given I choice I'd rather have something else.  Like Targa's stuff, or stairs that take up too much room.  They work, and all, but to me they look funny.
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 July 27, 03:54:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Though your explanation was very good, I was having a hard time picturing it so I went and read a couple tutorials on building them.
Now I'm thinking I'll vote 'love them' because even though I'm far too inept to create them, I'd definately like to try a house or two with them.

Though I do like realism in my game, the idea of different stairs matches my idea of realism and the way they'd look (or not look - be hidden away) would be more important than the animation. Watching how my sims get upstairs just isn't an important part of my play time.

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 July 27, 06:15:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love watching my animals go up the invisible stairs.  Grin

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 July 27, 07:12:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love watching my animals go up the invisible stairs.  Grin
Make a cat macro out of it Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 July 27, 08:00:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dayam! Another job!  Tongue I'll see what I can do.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: