More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 15:59:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Does this bother you as much as it does me?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Does this bother you as much as it does me?  (Read 12570 times)
Thanatos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Does this bother you as much as it does me?
« on: 2007 July 17, 20:36:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a gripe about "Pleasure" sims.

Some of their major wants involve going on dates with multiple people. Problem is you can't seem to go on dates with the game without falling in love if it is successful. That sucks IMO, because it seems to overlap too much with romance sims. The pleasure sims should just want to enjoy some good company and have fun, it doesn't have to be romantic or something more. Dating for fun and good company exists, of course you may say that may refer to outings. However in that case shouldn't pleasure sims want to go on outings instead of dates in this game? As it is now,s ims fall in love after great dates even without any romantic interactions.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
Re: Does this bother you as much as it does me?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 17, 20:48:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While I can't quantify whether it bothers me as much as it bothers you, I can say in truth that I do find it annoying.  I don't like my teens to become romantically attached, and I've found I have to work very hard to prevent crushes as the outcome of a date.  The clincher is that after you end the date, a kiss is automatically queued, and that's often what causes the crush.  I'm always poised on the mouse to delete that sucker when it pops up!

I particularly dislike the "50 dream dates" and "50 first dates" LTWs, but when I've been patient enough to handle them (and not just change the LTW), here's what I've done: 1) The 50 dream dates can be with the same person.  I have spouses have an at-home date with each other every evening -- two, if they can fit it in. 2) The 50 first dates don't have to be good ones.   I hire the matchmaker and give her the minimum amount of money, then end the date after a couple of interactions.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 July 17, 20:55:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For 50 dream dates, do it with one sim like phyllisp said. I have managed to get this want fulfilled in as little as one sim week without too much trouble.

For 50 first dates, simply use it to meet new sims. Someone in the family might want 20 best friends or woohoos or lovers -- help them to meet new sims.

I always try to make the most of any action. If someone wants 20 best friends and someone else wants 50 first dates, I see it as an opportunity to fulfill both.

Fail.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 July 17, 21:52:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Technically, you don't even need a "couple interactions" to end it, you can just end it right there, before even the greeting, it will still score as "Okay" and produce no negative memory. It's one of those fast "exploit" LTWs where it's basically impossible to accomplish this without blatant exploitation.

The 50 Dream Dates want, though, is tedious. It has an easter egg in it,though. Do it with a female sim (the male text is just generic blah-style), and your memory will read "Dates, Yay". Clearly the placeholder text of an exasperated programmer. Because it was tucked away in the secondary strings and not immediately visible, they didn't change it to be the kind of generic blandoid text that typically accompanies such, and it escaped notice and even got translated.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 July 17, 23:06:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Technically, you don't even need a "couple interactions" to end it, you can just end it right there, before even the greeting, it will still score as "Okay" and produce no negative memory. It's one of those fast "exploit" LTWs where it's basically impossible to accomplish this without blatant exploitation.

The 50 Dream Dates want, though, is tedious. It has an easter egg in it,though. Do it with a female sim (the male text is just generic blah-style), and your memory will read "Dates, Yay". Clearly the placeholder text of an exasperated programmer. Because it was tucked away in the secondary strings and not immediately visible, they didn't change it to be the kind of generic blandoid text that typically accompanies such, and it escaped notice and even got translated.

What, no haiku, Sir?
Did you become bored so soon?
"Dates, Yay" -- new fact, thanks!

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 July 18, 01:04:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanatos, you may want to consider getting Pescado's 'No instant loves' hack. or whatever it's called. It won't prevent sims from falling in love, but doesn't make it as ridiculously easy as it normally is without the hack.

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 July 18, 03:33:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I despise how romantic sims are set up. Yeah there are people out there who don't give a shit about who they are tring to get into bed with but i wouldn't call them romance minded. We call them whores.
 I always thought that the romantic sims should have had wants to fall in love or flirt with certain sims not just roll the wants to Woohoo with 3 sims or what have you.
He's going out with Julia but then he sees Donna and Julia is all but forgotten at the moment. Then later he sees Sarah and goes gaga. I know people who do that kinda thing.
As far as i've seen there are two main types of romance minded people. The ones who are all fairy tale romance then theres the ones who "fall in love" and "out of love" quickly and easily.
I always thought that they should b wanting to woohoo with a certain sim not a nameless number judged on their attraction to them and their daily relationship at the moment..

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 July 18, 04:13:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No instant loves is a life saver!
Morriganrane, I have always felt that the romance sims are exactly that in and out of love type.  The ones who want the fairy tale romance with their one true love are family sims.  Once they get a crush they typically just want romantic interactions with that one, once they fall in love they typically want to get engaged.  Mine also pretty consistantly roll wants involving their spouse that range from talking to kissing/woohoo.  That seems to cover the true romance type of sim pretty well for me.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 July 18, 04:15:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not long after I got the game one of my family sims married a romance sim.  This was before Uni, so the screw-everyone-in-sight LTW didn't exist to make me realise that romance sims were designed to be whores.  They were a faithful, happily married couple.  She kept the romance going in their relationship (i.e. wanted affection from him - hugs, kisses, flirts, etc), while he was more concerned about having kids and how well the kids were doing with toddler skills, in school, etc.  All of her wants revolved around her husband.

This was how I initially viewed romance sims - as simply wanting a little romance in their lives, not to sleep with everybody.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 July 18, 04:40:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This bothers me, too. I know it's possible to achieve those LTWs without having your sims form crushes with the entire neighborhood, but I would kind of like it if they were able to have a lot of great dates without the romance being involved.

Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 July 18, 06:04:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I set one of my serial dream daters up on a boy date, (not unusual in my game but I set him up with a very, very hetero male because he was handy...)
Still being fairly new to the sims dating thing, I was curious if you could do a 'just friends' thing.

They had a dream date without romantic interactions and though they started off as strangers, I think they just did the best friend hug at the end.

and why does everyone always hate on the Romance Sims? They're tied with Romance for my favourite. The first one I ever had was the town uh, man-whore until he married a Family sim. He was completely happy (platinum) faithful to his wife and a far better parent to their gazillion kids than she was. Romance sims are awesome!

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 July 18, 11:51:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with Zeljka - romance sims are awesome. They are sooo easy to keep in platinum that romance became my favorite aspiration (it used to be knowledge before) Grin

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 July 18, 11:58:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Romance Sims, too.  Their primary desire is woo-hoo, and woo-hooing with their spouse keeps them always in the platinum -- unlike Pleasure Sims, my least favorite (replacing Fortune), who have constant small-point wants like jumping on the couch, lighting the fireplace, taking a bubble bath, etc., plus the time-consuming want for dates.

When Romance Sims they get wants like multiple loves/lovers, etc., I don't fulfill them and the want goes away.  They also seem far more interested in caring for their children than Family Sims do.  If they (or any Sim) roll a LTW that I don't like -- like 20 simultaneous lovers -- I reroll.  After all, the game is about MY pleasure, ultimately  Grin

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 July 18, 15:01:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Romance Sims, too.  Their primary desire is woo-hoo, and woo-hooing with their spouse keeps them always in the platinum -- unlike Pleasure Sims, my least favorite (replacing Fortune)...

...If they (or any Sim) roll a LTW that I don't like -- like 20 simultaneous lovers -- I reroll.  After all, the game is about MY pleasure, ultimately  Grin

I agree.  I have romance sims who flirt/woohoo with anyone they can (romancemod is critical necessity), up to a point.  However, I find they make good spouses and parents as well, once they "settle down".  Need to make sure they get woohoo with their spouse and things are fine for them.  I can ignore wants to "kiss other sim" etc.  I also reroll stupid LTWs - I hate the 20 simultaneous lovers, and the "have 10 kids" wants (population control concerns).

I play with a lot of romance, knowledge, family, and popularity sims.  I don't like fortune sims much because too many of their wants revolve around buying things, and I can't frankly be bothered.  They should go make money and stop bothering me about a new computer/TV, especially if they have one already.

Generally I don't mind if they fall in love with someone else.  Leads to interesting situations, which is, to my mind, entertaining.

Tribulatio proxima est
Count Four
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 July 18, 15:33:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Romance Sims, too.  Their primary desire is woo-hoo, and woo-hooing with their spouse keeps them always in the platinum -- unlike Pleasure Sims, my least favorite (replacing Fortune), who have constant small-point wants like jumping on the couch, lighting the fireplace, taking a bubble bath, etc., plus the time-consuming want for dates.

When Romance Sims they get wants like multiple loves/lovers, etc., I don't fulfill them and the want goes away.  They also seem far more interested in caring for their children than Family Sims do.  If they (or any Sim) roll a LTW that I don't like -- like 20 simultaneous lovers -- I reroll.  After all, the game is about MY pleasure, ultimately  Grin

I also agree.  A married Romance sim does not have to be a slut, their wants are easy to fulfill, and they do make good parents. I reroll Romance sims until they get a career LTW and get them married, and they're easy to deal with.  Half of my favorite couple is a Romance sim and he's perfectly happy. He's got several other loves, but that doesn't mean I have to let him have them around the house, let him woohoo with them, or let him get caught.   

With Family sims, the quantity of children seems to matter more than the family bond--that's kind of annoying. She's got a toddler, a child and a two day old baby--and she wants to have another one? WTF?  What about the ones you've already got?

I don't like Pleasure sims because their wants aren't worth much and their Aspiration is kind of stupid anyway.  NightLife would have been just fine without it.  They lead pointless, ridiculous and stupid lives in my game, in keeping with their airheaded Aspiration. 

I can live with Fortune sims.  Buying things is easy for a boost and they alway have a want to go to work.  I don't have a lot of Popularity sims lately, but they're not too bad.

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 July 18, 16:19:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can only have 1 or 2 romance sims in a hood. Any more than that and everybody is up in arms about who he or she slept with. I do agree that romance sims can make great spouses, but sometimes, they never get over wanting to make out with other people they have high relationships with. I usually let them do their hearts desire (which is whatever they want autonomously) and if their LTW is too hard for me to fulfill, tough. Not everyone can be perfect and that's how I like my game.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 July 18, 17:14:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is no Romance, there is only Grilled Cheese Zombification. With a chance to reroll to an acceptable aspiration if it's the start of a new 'hood.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Miao
Asinine Airhead

ISTP/INTP

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 July 18, 18:24:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never was a fan of Romance Sims, but I've found that playing single Romance Sims can be entertaining. Don Lothario in one of my Pleasantviews is still a Romance Sim, but he's pretty much "settled down" (resigned himself to?) to family life with Nina and their kid--he's rolling straightforward wants to Woohoo in Bed/Hot Tub with no one in particular and to work out on the exercise machine. He's fairly happy aspiration-wise.

Pleasure Sims are the bane of my existence. I can never seem to keep them satisfied because their wants are annoying and have low point values; I don't like making Sims go on dates for the sole purpose of fulfilling a regular want or a LTW because for me, dates are for falling in love and rolling engagement/marriage wants.

Romance/Fortune Sims seem to be excellent parents, oddly, like some of you mentioned. My Family Sims are more concerned with the creation of babies than the actual care/feeding Tongue.

Traits: Unflirty, Loner, Frugal, Neurotic, No Sense of Humor, Good, Perfectionist.
Loves: spaghetti, indie, and lilac.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 July 18, 19:07:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to play romance sims pretty exclusively for the longest time until the whore bit finally got to me. I still have a soft spot for them.
I play alot of pleasure sims now. They're as close to my aspiration in the sims as I can get. I like to think of them as having a kind of ADHD and being prone to enjoying simple pleasures. :p
I tend to only play family sims when i need to set up a breeder. Their set up annoys me as well. They should be rolling more wants to interact with their children not be concerned with the quantity or the quality (straight As, private school) what have you.
The private school want seems more fit for the fortune sims because its a kind of prestige want. It reflects well on them to have children who do well.
I rarely play knowledge but I adore them. Its like they court danger all for the great quest for knowledge. It just amuses me to see "curiosity killed the cat" in action. I can't help but think of a scientist over an experiment who is completely non-pulsed when it explodes in his face then bends down to repeat it t find out what he did.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2007 July 18, 22:51:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I make a lot of temporary families for my testing neighborhoods (hoods dedicated to building and testing out new lots), and my favorite was a married Romance couple.  I made them both generic Aquarians and dropped them on the lot; they immediately started autonomously kissing, pillowfighting, making out, and generally chasing each other all over the lot giggling.  They were a lot of fun.   Smiley

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 July 19, 14:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...my favorite was a married Romance couple.  I made them both generic Aquarians and dropped them on the lot; they immediately started autonomously kissing, pillowfighting, making out, and generally chasing each other all over the lot giggling.  They were a lot of fun.   Smiley

How did you get autonomous kissing?  Was this an ACR induced behaviour?  I don't have ACR loaded, and have never had any romance sims do anything autonomously romantic (hug romantically, kiss, flirt, etc.).  On one lot, I specifically restrained myself from "assisting" a romance sim who liked another playable.  I fulfilled her want to be friends, be best friends, and play, entertain, appreciate, etc., but not to kiss, woohoo...

She had the wants to kiss the guy, woohoo, flirt, etc. but had no clue about doing this autonomously - best she could do was pillowfight with him, which improved the friendship, but not much else.  She ended up in aspiration failure before I finally felt sorry enough for her and kick started the romance a bit.

Tribulatio proxima est
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2007 July 19, 19:08:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I made them married in CAS, which was enough.  I think relationship scores have to be at a certain point before sims will autonomously flirt, and they won't do it at all unless you set a gender preference -- the sim you want to do the flirting must perform at least one user-directed flirt before that sim will initiate it.  (I didn't have ACR at the time.)

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 July 19, 20:22:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting - generally my married sims keep a relationship of 100/100 or close to that, so I'll have to observe more carefully if a romance sim in a couple like that does autonomous romantic stuff.  Thanks for the tip.

Tribulatio proxima est
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 July 19, 23:05:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It could also be the number of bolts. I recently had my first three-bolt couple (I can never get three-bolters, no matter what I change), and they're constantly autonomously flirting, kissing, hugging, making out, etc. They are Family and Knowledge.

I've never had a couple who was this into each other, not even romance sims!
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 July 20, 06:01:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

my hood has way too many 3 bolters  Tongue  good thing they make me laugh  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: