More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 12:56:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Blue Screen of Doom
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Blue Screen of Doom  (Read 23000 times)
virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
Blue Screen of Doom
« on: 2007 July 09, 17:11:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi all,

I haven't been simming for a long time but recently started again. Before my long period of total simming break, I used to play on and off and I had this problem too. I think the problems started after a while of playing pets, but since it's been a while I'm not sure.

The problem

After x amount of time of running the game, it freezes and I get the "Blue Screen of Doom". The last one I had was last night and it said: that the system was stuck in an endless loop or something and had to be shutdown. That either the drivers weren't properly installed or something else I forgot sorry.  Embarrassed

*There's not a fix amount of time for this to happen. I could be playing the game for a long time while doing other things e.g. chatting before it happens or I could be playing for as lil as 20 mins.
*As my poor memory recalls, everytime this happened was while I was playing a family. I cannot recall if it happened while I was just building lots.
*Last time it happened I was playing in full-mode. While the day before I was building lots in windowed mode while chatting and surfing the net, downloading stuff, talking on skype for several hours whitout getting the BSoD. I cannot recall wether I had it happen while playing families in windowed mode, but it may be probable since I hardly play in full mode anymore.
*I believe that's all the info I got. I'll just write down my system specs and hopefully someone will have any idea what could be going wrong.

System Specs

Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00 GHZ (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Videocard: NVIDEA GeForce 7300 LE
Videocard Memory: 256 MB

That's all I can think of atm. I really hope someone's able to help me out.

Greets and such from me.

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Blue Screen of Doom
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 09, 17:17:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a known crasher bug with (pre-8) Nvidia cards and TS2.

Put the following in your userstartup.cheat file:
Code:
boolprop useshaders false
The downside of this is, you will lose the fish in the aquaria and pools.

Another way to prevent the crashes is to play in windowed mode, but keep in mind this is more heavy on the system. Your specs show your system should be able to handle it, though.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 July 09, 22:52:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another way to prevent the crashes is to play in windowed mode, but keep in mind this is more heavy on the system.

Is this actually proven to be true?

For me, the game always runs more smoothly and with less lag when I play in windowed mode. Also, if you are playing full-screen, leaving the game to do something else (edit pictures for custom paintings, look at something online, etc.) causes a blue waiting screen to appear when you return to the game. The blue waiting screen can keep you out of the game for several minutes, which is why I would never play in full-screen mode.

Fail.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 July 09, 23:16:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure if it is proven, but when I was running TS2 on my GeForceFX 5900XT and suffered from the crasher bug, running in windowed mode allowed me to play with shaders on without the crash every 30 mins or so.

Windowed mode plays more smoothly for me as well, but you can see the system take more resources. If your system can barely run Seasons as is, windowed play might not work.
virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 July 10, 10:35:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you Jordi,

I'm pretty sure it's already written somewhere on the forum but I'd be glad if you could give me instructions how to put it in the userstartup.cheat file? I'd hate to miss out on the fishies but I can always change it briefly to take pictures and or make movies. My previous puter had an ATI card with only 64 MB of memory but I never had problems with it running TS2, I only had to update the drivers to be able to see the entire cinematics (I could only see half of the screen, the other half was black) Also Sara, it's true I got that blue waiting screen, the first time it happened to me I totally panicked thinking my card esploded. This NEVER happened with my ATI card!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm very unpleased with my current card and will update to another as soon as I got the funds. What's the best card I could get to run TS2 with? That's also compatible with my system?

Thank you so much for the help.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 July 10, 11:23:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere for userstartup.cheat, but I can't find it now.

Snotty Sims has a basic one you can download: http://www.snootysims.com/cheatsindex.php?id=userstartup
Just place this in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config and then edit it in Notepad.
I have a large userstartup.cheat with many aliases and cheats in it, but my ISP's homepage server is down at the moment so I can't point you to it. which I have attached here. Review before using -- I've documented everything in it. You'll want to uncomment the last line (# at the start makes a line a comment, which is ignored by the game).

I have the testing cheats on by default, and also the faceBlendLimits are set to off. Additionally I use boolProp unevenTilesFloorable true to build on uneven floors, and floatProp tvVolume 0.1 (quiter TVs) and setHighestAllowedLevel 50 (building trick).

One more thing to add, just to be sure -- anything marked an "alias" is a shorter way to use a cheat. For example if I want to enable moveobjects, I go to the cheat console, and type "m". To disable, I use "m-". This is shorter than typing moveObjects on/off.
Additionally, since these aliases have help text defined, the y appear in the console if I type "help" should I ever forget them.

* userStartup.zip (1.72 KB - downloaded 196 times.)
« Last Edit: 2007 July 10, 11:37:40 by Jordi » Logged
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 July 10, 11:31:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Easy-peasy.

1. Change the name of userstartup.cheat to userstartup.cheat.txt

2. Open with Notepad

3. Add the cheat you desire to activate on startup of game

4. Save

5. Close file

6. Rename file from userstartup.cheat.txt back to userstartup.cheat

The end!

Optionally, backup the original userstartup.cheat file and sock it away somewhere. You can do this by adding ".bak" to the copy of the file and leaving it as it is.

MTS2 has a tutorial on various things the various cheats do, if that is of interest to you.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 July 10, 14:21:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh THANK YOU soooo much you guys!  Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Yes, Lorelei, I'll be checking MTS2 soon for those tutorials. Thank you for the tip. I sometimes tend to forget MTS2 has that kind of stuff too. (I mainly go there for Bodyshop type downloads) Also thanx for the back up info, even if I wouldn't have forgotten about it, I wouldn't have known about chaning it to .bak.

Many thanx Jordi for your personal startup.cheat file ^^ Especialy the "alias feature" will be very handy.  Grin

Greets and such ^^

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 July 10, 17:51:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not a problem, I was glad to help!

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 July 10, 19:00:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And welcome back, Virgalibabe!  Long time no see! Cheesy

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 July 11, 15:37:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I noticed a post by Maxoid Sam on the BBS announcing that Nvidia has a beta driver that's supposed to fix this problem.  I haven't decided whether I'm going to try it or not. The thread is here.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
msalwaysright
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 July 14, 12:47:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm using the new beta driver & haven't had the BSOD since I installed it.

I should add that I also recently upgraded my memory to 3gig and I used the advice in this post for dual core pc's: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,7748.0.html.

The driver change is the most recent, but I'm unsure if it should get full credit.

"Proper capitalization is important, SimplyComplex. As you will know if you have ever had to help your uncle Jack off a horse."~Jack Rudd
virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 September 09, 08:11:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMG! That Necromancy pic is soooo freakin'cool I'm concidering to do a LOT more! ^^

Well Hi all.

I know I already made this thread and I think it's stupid to start a new one for the same prblem so here I go...
I just downloaded the new Nvidea drivers that's supposed to fix the crashproblem tho I haven't tested them yet and I still have the settings that makes it unable to view fish in the cheatstartup file.

Tho I did this just now because I didn't play much once again (grew totally bored with gaming in general) but I'm totally hooked on BV atm so I wanted to give it a try. I played for several simdays and spent some time decorating lots and so far no crashes. (that's just with the cheatstartup file thing not with the updated drivers)

My problem is that apparantly with the arrival of BV the crashing seems to be start happening again. Someone posted at the end of Sam's thread eventhou he requested it to be locked? Either ways. Was wondering if you people knew more about this?

magic cookie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 September 09, 11:45:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same issue.

The latest NVIDIA driver had fixed the problem but with BV the infamous blue screen of death issue has returned.

EA really sucks at life, I cannot understand how they wouldn't check on one of the most largely known issues before releasing their latest EP. I'm tired of giving money to this inept firm.
virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 September 09, 19:43:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oww! this sucks! And I waited til the last moment 'cause they said the new drivers were a beta version anyways! I hope they release a solution soon tho. I'm so bummed I couldn't get this pc iwth an ATI card! Angry

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 September 10, 06:59:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*sigh*

I wonder if my built-in NVidia laptop card is going to finally go tits up with this new EP. Joy. :/

B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 September 10, 11:00:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By way of contrast (and perhaps reassurance), I have been running BV using an Nvidia card for the past five days with no issue.  I'm using the latest beta drivers alongside two 8800GTX in SLI. 
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 September 10, 13:06:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

B, your avatar looks hung over. Wink
virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 September 10, 18:26:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

B, your avatar looks hung over. Wink

I don't have that card so I'm not sure what good that piece of info is to me, tbh.  Undecided

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 September 11, 10:25:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If B spent half as much time TAKING HIS DAMN TURN as he did on his stupid avatar, he could FINISH DYING FASTER.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 September 11, 10:56:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If B spent half as much time TAKING HIS DAMN TURN as he did on his stupid avatar, he could FINISH DYING FASTER.

If your server didn't keep crashing my game, I could take more turns!  Anyway, I just played two, and am inches away from death.  Unfortunately, I'm looking at houses for the next few days, so I'm not sure when I can play again.

SnootCB
Irritating Ignoramus

my cat is moar awesome than u

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 September 11, 13:59:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having the Blue Screen of Doom again.  I've got a nVidia GeForce 7800 and the most recent drivers for it.  And all other system specs are at or above requirements.  I can play for 40-50 minutes at best. *throws tantrum*
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 September 11, 14:02:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having the Blue Screen of Doom again.  I've got a nVidia GeForce 7800 and the most recent drivers for it.  And all other system specs are at or above requirements.  I can play for 40-50 minutes at best. *throws tantrum*

CHeck your temps to make sure overheating is not the culprit.  Also, try the beta drivers if you're not using them already.
SnootCB
Irritating Ignoramus

my cat is moar awesome than u

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 September 11, 14:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check your temps to make sure overheating is not the culprit.  Also, try the beta drivers if you're not using them already.

Temp is well below maximum.  The driver I'm using is the final-release one than was posted as being the fix for BSoD previously, and it did fix it.  Is there a new beta driver out already, or are you referring to the beta of the pre-BV BSoD fix?
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 September 11, 14:46:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm using the BETA released yesterday which can be found on this page
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: