More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 20:32:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Uni troubles - borked SS and then some...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Uni troubles - borked SS and then some...  (Read 3158 times)
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Uni troubles - borked SS and then some...
« on: 2007 July 03, 02:19:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hadn't played the Sims in months and decided finally to try putting some Sims through University. I've had the EP on for a long time but beyond trying it out with a couple CAS in a throwaway hood, hadn't used it.

I downloaded the clean Uni templates and created Academie, made 3 CAS YAs, put them on a rental lot and made 2 of them SS members then dormies.
With one left, I generated the (rolls eyes) 50 dormies and was ready to play.  5 of my favourite overachieving teens were the first to set off to University.
All was well and good and Uni was actually fun... until one got abducted to the Secret Society.

Though my test Sims a year or so ago had been SS members at SimState, I'd never seen Volavent before. Very disappointing and Secret Society funds were 0.
I decided to donate some of her inventory and got an error... I reset and thought I'd go on my merry way when the game started to lag.
Though they appeared in poofs of a half dozen or so, I suddenly had 56 Secret Society members on the lot without any sort of error dialogue.
I eventually managed to pause and place Inge's shrub so I could clear them, allowing her to get to a phone to go home. blah!

I have all the noregen and anti-redundancy mods, so I'm not sure how this 'Secret Society' has so many members... I've never done anything to change my visitor count, and this has happened in every neighbouhood I've tried.
The neighbourhood I first used is completely borked and crashes 3/4 of the way through loading either the main or subhoods (fiery ball), but testing other neighbourhoods and older versions of the same all get me the same result. Wah!

I've done a lot of reading to try and figure out the problem and have seen ste's SS Lottery fix, but don't have the same EPs (Uni/NL only)
HEEeLLLP!!!111!!!
« Last Edit: 2007 July 04, 07:41:42 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Re: Uni troubles - borked SS and then some...
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 03, 16:29:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you actually have my fix in place, or anything that affects secret society lots?

ETA:  It's been so long since I looked at that hack.  Maxis EA actually got something right for a change when they patched it Roll Eyes [Of course they screwed it up the first time they actually coded it Tongue].  They basically used the same idea I had, storing the amount in a lot token, and swapping it out, albeit their code was slightly more efficient (for a change Shocked ) since they actually reused the same token.  [I coulda done that too, but I didn't want to, so nyah. Tongue]

Anyhew, I backported those changes, and if you look at the description, the hack is actually for OFB v1.0p1 or older.  This is because OFB v1.0p2 or later should be patched correctly.  Now... this isn't to say that it will actually fix your problem, as your problem might be unrelated.  If you are getting some weird error due to lot bugginess or non-awesomeware, then I'm not sure if the hack/fix will help.

I recommend making a backup of your Neighborhoods folder.  Then try installing the hack/fix and see if this helps.  If you still get an error log, post it again, and maybe we can see if it's the same error.  Unfortunately, I am at teh hubby's place, probably until late Thurs night, and I don't have access to my own 'puter.  Even when I get home, I probably won't have time to look at it until the weekend. Undecided

ETA2:  Edited to make it a bit more readable. Tongue  Plus... I actually read your post the 3rd time around (I kinda just skimmed it the first couple of times heh) and noticed that you tried to "donate" your sim's money?  In what way did you try to do that?  Prior the the OFB 2nd patch, SS lot money handling was pretty severely borked.  The game tried to swap out your current sim's home lot funds with the ss society one's.  If there are none, it is supposed to automatically generate some "starter" funds (something like $37k or what not.  Seems to be some arbitrarily chosen number).  When you went back home tho, the game kinda screws up trying to swap your funds back.  It didn't save the original amount that your home lot had, so you end up with the sslot funds (or something like that).  The game also had an extra, stupid (or is that "extra stupid" Tongue) BHAV that tried to resave the funds every time you went in and out of buy mode.  This function is like crappily borked. 

I guess it was an attempt to curb cheaty type things or what not, but it kinda screws up the ss lot funds.  Can't remember the exact details, but I just recall spending several hours tearing my hair out trying to figure what was going on exactly and why this stupid bhav was even necessary.  It wasn't.  Tongue  In my fix, I disabled it, and used lot tokens.  Funny that Maxis EA patch pretty much came to the same conclusion (they also deprecated that bhav, used the lot tokens smartly, and even had the forethought... or is it hindsight Roll Eyes to create new functions to test if there is more than one sslot in the neighborhood, since theoreticaly, you could add more than one Uni subhood to your game... although doing so, without SaraMK's clean or empty templates and Pescado's antiredundancy and noregen hacks would most assuredly lead to a BFBFVS Tongue).

Anyhew... my recommendation Now, after actually reading your post... is reverting to a backup before you added Academie... or if you were lucky/smart enough, after you just added Academie and created the YAs and what not, but before your sim got abducted by the YAs.  If you can go back to that point, then I would try installing the fix and playing from that point on and see if you still have any SS lot problems.  Again, I'm not sure if it will actually fix it, but the only way to know is to sorta just test it out. Undecided

Ste
« Last Edit: 2007 July 03, 17:03:03 by syberspunk » Logged

Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 July 04, 01:37:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks,
Though I have a zillion backed up versions of neighbourhoods, I apparently played for two weeks straight without making a fresh one (*smacks forehead)
Serves me right really, I should hardly have forgotten how this sort of thing can happen in a few short months away from the game.
I will try from the latest backup (clean uni, one dorm of YAs, no SS so far).

I don't even care if the SS lot has money, it's so easy to come by honestly that I've never used cheats for it, but I was using a YA who'd dream-dated his way through most of the neighbourhood and had an Inventory full of expensive gifts that I figured he could spare.
(unbeknownst to both of us til then, he'd dated at least 2 of the SS members as a teen, so it was a pretty easy in.)

cross your fingers for me Wink

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 July 04, 02:38:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try using the Lot Debugger? See if there are any options you could use to "fix" things that might be broken?

Alternatively... you could try... resetting all the objects on the lot.  I would make a backup of your game before doing this.  Then reset objects on the lot and see there is anything weird showing up. *shrugs*

You could try those things before reverting to your backup, if you want to try and preserve those two weeks.
* syberspunk crosses fingers, elbows, legs, arms, and toes. Cheesy

Ste

Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 July 06, 03:28:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yay-Woo!

I tried the backup because I couldn't even get in to the other one...
2 weeks may not sound like a lot of time to most, but I hadn't played for months before them and had been using the features of Uni and NL for the first time...  'course, being a Challenge hood I'd forced myself to check in on quite a few of them, fix them up all purty-like after various CC purges, and move them along towards assorted goals...  I'd made a lot of progress that I didn't want to lose.  I mean, the first 30 odd dream dates were kinda fun, but not fun enough to attempt to recreate them.

Freshly motivated to try harder, I poked around some more in PE,
I fixed the Neighbourhood UID and changed the N00# for easier identifying, then I found a couple things in PE I'd never really noticed before (and still have no clue what they are: 0x0F9F0C21 (UNK) and the 2 UNKs at the bottom of the list) I replaced them with extracted versions from the backup hood.

Added Lottery Fix, removed ALL non-MATY hack CC (very significant in my game where the usual - compressed - is about 8G...) Started it up and to my complete surprise and delight, it worked!

The SS is a still a bit curious but only 16 members show up at a time and it actually has a a fund now that works as it should.   Shocked

I did have a new weirdness where dormies (in dorm) stood around the bookcase (frozen yet blinking, very creepy) until I reset them, so I used the lot debugger to force errors on all and everything seems most excellent now.

*plants a grateful smooch on Ste's cheek and offers him a fireman or two to help with the uncrossing of fingers, elbows, legs, arms and toes,
You rock ! Cheesy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: