More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 01:45:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Ugh Uni - creating your own.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Ugh Uni - creating your own.  (Read 10906 times)
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
Ugh Uni - creating your own.
« on: 2007 July 02, 11:20:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any way, short of uninstalling Uni, to get rid of the stupid want all teens have to go and fear of not?

I've got a teen that aged up in platinum to adult, still 3/4s full plat and crying that he missed Uni <gag> (Is that normal? I guess he had a fear of not going, though I didn't see it. Right before he was afraid of his 2 pets getting sprayed by skunks and his sister not liking him.) Uni was totally not appropriate for him and he's got no reason to be crying about it - heck he didn't go to high school either and he's not crying over that.

And I'm annoyed about the no businesses on Uni lots thing. So I'm tempted to make my own Uni and just give them the want slots and Uni careers when appropriate. I suppose I could just roll the want, just prior to growing them up, but how could I keep them from crying they didn't go if I send them to my own Uni instead of the game one? Will artificially giving them the graduated memory fix that?

Sorry I seem to be thinking in type more than actually thinking.

Unsouper
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
Re: Ugh Uni - creating your own.
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 02, 12:26:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any way, short of uninstalling Uni, to get rid of the stupid want all teens have to go and fear of not?

Nocollegeobsession. Doesn't quash college-related wants entirely, but makes them more reasonable.

Don't really see the need for business at Uni. I only knew one person myself who ran a (legitimate) business from his dorm room . . . and he never graduated. If they need money, have them perform music for tips, as a group. It's not much different from having a job, except they get fun points for it (which of course is way different from having a job). After all, the point of going to college is to avoid having to get a job.   Tongue

In any event, I've been playing in an "almost clean"  neighborhood (the only hacks are actual bug fixes and TJs teen and YA lazy walk fix), and I'm not having any problems with excessive college wants.   Roll Eyes

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 July 02, 14:24:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a teen that aged up in platinum to adult, still 3/4s full plat and crying that he missed Uni <gag> (Is that normal?)

Sims still get a negative red memory of not going to uni even if they don't have a fear of it at the time. Don't know what you can do about it, unfortunately. Sad

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
DavidC
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 July 02, 15:14:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Its normal for a sim to cry over a bad memory no matter what it is, if he was failing at school he probably cried about his D grade as well when he got that memory. The actual fear of not going to uni would have put him right into Aspiration failure if he got it and a probably a visit from the shrink..

The Nocollegeobsession hack just stops your teenagers obsessing about scholarships their nowhere near getting, they still get the annoying want to go to uni from the day they age to teens.. it does stop Parents rolling wants for it though until there about 5 days from being Adults.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 July 02, 16:34:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sagana, I'm confuzzled. When you say that you'll make your own Uni and send them to it but then the sims will still get the bad memory....the game doesn't care if you use a pre-packaged Uni or a custom one. Sending a sim to Uni is sending a sim to Uni.

As for the bad memory, they can just deal with it  Angry

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 July 02, 16:49:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hegelian, it's not a need for money or anything. I want the Uni bookstore to sell mini-fridges and uh (duh) books! I can't do that without making it owned (they just eat out of the fridges and study from the bookcases). and a whole variety of other (imo more realistic) things I'd like to set up for uni, that I could do in a regular neighborhood but can't in a Uni one.

Zazazu, what I mean is, I'll create my own blamed Uni using a regular subhood. I'd keep the kids teens while they're in my 'uni', install inteen so they could have more options, build classroom buildings (I actually already have one of these) to sort of let them go to class, cheat out the grades (not like anysim fails Uni without working at it anyway), be able to have profs, grad students, events, etc. With hacks and OFB options, I could pretty easily create my own university neighborhood and skip the EA part that I'm sick of altogether.

Yeah, they can deal with the bad memory (well I can, the pixels don't care) but it's annoying that every single kid gets it. Why should it be a bad memory for a gypsy teen that he isn't going to a University? Or any other kind of kid that it isn't either appropriate nor interesting to send.

Unsouper
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 July 02, 17:10:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's a little silly that they're all obsessed with going, I could see it for Knowledge or maybe even Finance [insert case for each asp here] but what town in the world has an entire population wanting to further their education? I'd like to see the want of 'Not going to Uni' show up every now and then. Some people prefer succeeding without post-secondary education.

But, they never really cry over anything for more than one evening anyway right?
I usually send them to an easel or some other absorbing task after a tragedy, if they keep breaking to cry, I use object error on them to make them stop...
there will be no needless crying in my game... heh heh

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 July 02, 17:21:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's stupid that even if you DON'T HAVE A UNI SUBHOOD, they STILL get the want and then the resulting fear.  I'm just making my teens go straight to adults and then using the lot debugger to give them an education if they need it.
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 July 02, 18:40:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's stupid that even if you DON'T HAVE A UNI SUBHOOD, they STILL get the want and then the resulting fear.  I'm just making my teens go straight to adults and then using the lot debugger to give them an education if they need it.

That must be something like when my Sims get calls from random townies inviting them to the cool downtown location they've found before I've installed a Downtown.
I tried it once out of curiousity... not pretty, and the townie was furious for being stood up to boot...

EPs would be more fun if every single sim's Wants and Fears panel wasn't suddenly taken over by 'try this great new ep' things. I can see Pop Sims wanting to jump on the latest bandwagon, but everyone? bleh

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 July 02, 21:23:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah a sim crying really isn't the end of the world to deal with or anything, just totally out-of-character for my adult male gypsy to stop packing up his stuff to move out on his own so he could weep over missing Uni. boo hoo hoo. geez guy, you're supposeda be a hot, sexy sim male not a weeping whiny baby.

And I wasn't expecting it. I guess it's been awhile (a long while) since I've skipped Uni with anyone. I figure as I've paid for the dang thing, I should use it, so I keep trying. But every time I turn around, I get frustrated with how poorly it works - again! Pets didn't add much, but at least it doesn't normally make me mad because it's poorly executed and doesn't even work with the rest of the game. It works fine. Uni doesn't Sad It doesn't even simulate campus life well at all, besides not working with the rest of the game.

I'd uninstall it, but I do want the careers and want slots. And probably other stuff that came with the EP I'm forgetting.

Unsouper
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 July 03, 00:36:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried a uni hood maybe 3 or so times before realising it was just a boring chore and gaming should be fun. I generally let my new adults go flatting or boarding in a lot with aging turned off for their sowing of wild oats, they get a week or so there and then generally find someone to pair up with. I cheat them their degree just to get the want slots. I randomly pick a degree so it doesn't give too much of a job boost.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 July 03, 07:56:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always send my sims to uni and slap them all together in a big dorm with all the creature comforts and an ACR adjuster with the no jealousy override set. That way I can figure out future couples and allow them to establish friendships. As for the boring uni stuff, I use the college adjuster, set semester grades according to aspiration/personality and fast forward final exams on a case by case basis. Uni is kind of fun played this way as you can compress 'real time' spent there according to gameplay requirements. It also allows me to manage the aging process with respect to sims back in the home neighbourhood e.g. age students' parents through to elders, that sort of thing.

ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 July 03, 09:16:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, this annoys me too - in my medieval hood, where only a very, selected few male sims, gets to go to uni, still all the peasant families pine to go to uni. As they cared? What they need is to stay where they are and mind the crops. They should pine for gold gardening, but uni? Silly sims.
A hack much needed Smiley
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 July 03, 10:20:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, this annoys me too - in my medieval hood, where only a very, selected few male sims, gets to go to uni, still all the peasant families pine to go to uni.

But the pesants are supposed to have rough lives.  Half their memories should be red.  Who ever heard of a serf growing up well?

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 July 03, 10:43:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh, guys... he may be departed, but squinge's hacks linger on....

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 July 03, 11:07:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks! uh, I mean baaaaa. Squinge has a lot of hacks, I didn't know about this one. Have you used it and it doesn't mess stuffes up?

Unsouper
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2007 July 03, 11:17:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm currently using it. I can't say if it works with the latest seasons patch because I don't have it. I've stumbled upon the perfect hack balance & I daren't stuff that up by patching.

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 July 03, 11:52:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah good, I downloaded but haven't installed the Season's patch either, so just will continue to not Wink How are you doing Uni? You having them go from home? This should really let me have a perfectly good University all my own - I think I'll try an OFB subhood for it. (I haven't read that whole thread yet, so poke gently if I missed something. I'm supposed to be working - I'd rather ponder sims stuffes.)

Unsouper
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2007 July 03, 12:46:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, those that get the want go, so long as they're not knocked up or parenting. otherwise, they stay home. I've got a custom uni in one hood and the Academie Le Crap in my legacy hood.

I've just found out that uni can be insane amounts of fun if you have a popularity sim, the college clock & the perfect hack balance. Of course, as soon as her grade bar is full I send her to her exams, but I'm finding that so long as the student has the right attitude towards it (outgoing enough to enjoy making friends/learning-hungry enough to want to be edumacated) then it's not an uphill battle. But I'll be stuffed if I'm going to torture myself pushing a sim that honestly doesn't want to be there through uni just because some idiot coded not going to be a bad memory.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2007 July 03, 16:13:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've found that, as long as I don't lock a particular want, such as the 'go to uni' one, it eventually disappears. Of course, it often reappears, but if I manage to age the sim during that small window of opportunity, sometimes the aspiration hits aren't so bad. Still, I agree that it's stupid for sims to always get a bad memory for not going to uni, whether they rolled a want for it, or not.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 July 03, 18:01:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, this annoys me too - in my medieval hood, where only a very, selected few male sims, gets to go to uni, still all the peasant families pine to go to uni.
My peasants can. In fact, Annann probably will. They have to buy their way in ($40,000 per child, all scholarship moneys given back as tuition) and have best friend relationships with the rulers. Because peasants did move up, it was just hard. Dead hard. Merchants have to pay $20,000 and relationships don't matter, Nobles/Royals get in free. Royals get homes and servants. Brats.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: