More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 22:42:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Influence meter gone nuts
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Influence meter gone nuts  (Read 2850 times)
Toast
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Influence meter gone nuts
« on: 2007 August 02, 00:09:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of my sims hit his (second or third) LTW and got the green +25,000 asp flash over his head... and then a RED -15,763 influence or something like that. So he gained aspiration and yet his entire influence meter was drained, and by a number that seems like a garbage value, since it ended in an odd number.

It was obviously a glitch so I used the sim modder to fill his influence meter again. Then it happened again. He made 30 friends, got the green +30,000 asp, and then the red -15,763 influence and his meter was drained. The sim in question is permaplat and has the business perk that gives you x5 influence points, so WTF? I know to most people influence is useless but this sim uses it a lot to keep his businesses clean. I can always refill his meter manually but I'm worried this is a sign of some other problem.

I don't have an error log since it's not a glitch I think I can reproduce on command.  Huh  I have 5 Awesome hacks and that's it.
ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Influence meter gone nuts
« Reply #1 on: 2007 August 02, 00:16:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could this interger overflow, throwing the values into the negative range?
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 02, 00:19:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA decided to store the number of influence points you have as a 16-bit integer. Unfortunately, this means that if you get over 32767 (?) influence points in one shot, the number loops back around and becomes negative. If you can figure out a way of removing the perk, then do that, otherwise just don't fulfil any more LTWs with this sim.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Toast
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 02, 00:34:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA decided to store the number of influence points you have as a 16-bit integer. Unfortunately, this means that if you get over 32767 (?) influence points in one shot, the number loops back around and becomes negative. If you can figure out a way of removing the perk, then do that, otherwise just don't fulfil any more LTWs with this sim.

I see, so it's BECAUSE he has the x5 influence perk, not in spite of it? What a pain in the ass. Still, comforting to know it's not an explosion waiting to happen.

And believe me, he's hit enough LTWs for ten lifetimes and he ain't getting any more. Tongue
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 02, 11:16:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The nice thing about this "feature" is that it forces me to fulfill lesser wants even after reachin perma-plat.  If it is really a bother, you can drop the 5x perk.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 02, 14:09:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The real problem is that they didn't put a wraparound check anywhere. Unfortunately, the problem is hardcoded and can't be fixed.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: