More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 21:36:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  I need fireproof trees...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I need fireproof trees...  (Read 11181 times)
twink
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
I need fireproof trees...
« on: 2007 June 26, 11:10:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have taken all trees except the fruit trees in greenhouse off of my lots. The flashes of lightening scare me to death and then fire follows on any lot trees. I am from Northern California and I am ready for earthquakes but that blast of lightening and fire is something we don't have here, thank goodness.

If anyone comes across a site with fireproof trees, please post it here.

Thanks. Good Simming,
Twink

Stressed spelled backwards is desserts.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
Re: I need fireproof trees...
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 26, 13:58:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Twink, I don't know that fireproof trees will help you that much.  The lightning will hit anything that's outside.  I've had it hit a telescope and a yard light, to name two things.  It will also hit the house -- I've had it hit the roof many times, and the porch railing.  And I've had it just hit the ground.  Seems like what you really need is a hack that disables lightning.

Don't feel you're alone -- I jump when there's a lightning strike, too  Cheesy   The fires used to really panic me, but I've discovered that as long as it keeps raining, the rain will put the fire out.  I did have two occasions where it stopped raining right after the strike and I had to call the fire department.

You might want to avoid using the decorative trellis.  That item seems to be causing "invisible fires" when it gets struck.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 26, 15:27:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fires used to really panic me, but I've discovered that as long as it keeps raining, the rain will put the fire out.  I did have two occasions where it stopped raining right after the strike and I had to call the fire department.

And with Seasons, you don't have to cheat to put fire alarms outside.

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 26, 15:56:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am from Northern California and I am ready for earthquakes but that blast of lightening and fire is something we don't have here, thank goodness.

According to the California Department of Forestry the five year average for fires caused by lightning worked out to be about 288 fires per year. So it's definitely something we have here (I live in Northern CA too), usually we don't see it happen and instead see all the news stories of the CDF desperately trying to get the fire contained and put out. I grew up in the Sierra Nevada mountains so every year from May-October I was always a bit on edge. I still get edgy about it eventhough now I live in the central valley. But I do know what you mean. The first time I heard the lightning in the game I nearly jumped out of my chair. It sounds so realistic and in real life I hate lightning. I have gotten more used to the sound now so I don't jump as much as I used to. You might get more used to it over time as well or like Phyllisp mentioned a no lightning hack may help you. Numenor at MTS2 made one- http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=228276
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 26, 15:58:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Numenor's hack just removes the light effects, not the actual lightning.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 26, 17:27:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doh! Silly me. I should have read that much more carefully. Thanks for pointing it out to me Jordi.  Cheesy
Angie
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP - "Engineer"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 26, 23:43:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You might want to avoid using the decorative trellis.  That item seems to be causing "invisible fires" when it gets struck.

I just started a thread about this in Oops! You Broke It!  I'm pretty peeved that the patch did not fix this problem.

Linky here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,8864.0.html
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 27, 02:25:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lightning rod?

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 June 27, 02:50:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still have occasional fires on lots with lightning rods. Do we need to use more than one?  Undecided
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 June 27, 07:54:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does the rod even do anything? It looks to be decorative only.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 June 27, 09:48:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty sure lightning does strike the rod, and I think it's inflamable.
Not sure if there's anything more to it than that.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 June 27, 09:55:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, but all items are susceptible to lightning strikes and are flammable. I don't have any reason to believe the TS2 lightning rods attract lightning any more than other objects do.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 June 27, 09:59:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless the code has changed (and I don't think it has), lightning can be mitigated by up to 5 rods. I forget what the exact percentages are, but it's something like 55 to 70% likelihood of hitting the rod instead of something else.

notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 June 27, 09:59:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty sure lightning does strike the rod, and I think it's inflamable.
Not sure if there's anything more to it than that.

"inflammable" means the same thing  as "flammable."  It does appear to be fireproof, though.

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 June 27, 10:13:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, so they do have a purpose? Thanks dizzy.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 June 27, 10:45:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

God, I need coffee.
Of course I meant unflamable.
Now I've managed to confuse myself, what's the correct word for something that doesn't catch fire?

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 June 27, 11:03:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

God, I need coffee.
Of course I meant unflamable.
Now I've managed to confuse myself, what's the correct word for something that doesn't catch fire?

nonflammable

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 June 27, 11:12:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's dull.  We need a more spectacular word.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 June 27, 11:15:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do english have a word like "ignifugé" in french ? something that could sound like ignifugated or something ?
Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 June 27, 11:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

dictionary.com's thesaurus is naff, but it lists 'incombustible' as a synonym for nonflammable and I kinda like the sound of that. (It also lists 'concrete', but I'm pretty sure incombustible actually means 'won't burn')

'Ignifugé' just sounds like 'ignited' to me, and that's pretty much the opposite. But I have to go to dictionary.com for synonyms, so... @_@
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 June 27, 12:12:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Trees seem pretty self-extinguishing to me. I've always had the tree go out on its own. It doesn't even seem to negatively affect its health to be on FIRE. In any case, it's nothing to worry about. At least now there's a sensible reason why something is on fire, instead of the infamous Molotov Toaster Pastry.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 June 27, 12:18:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Trees seem pretty self-extinguishing to me. I've always had the tree go out on its own. It doesn't even seem to negatively affect its health to be on FIRE. In any case, it's nothing to worry about. At least now there's a sensible reason why something is on fire, instead of the infamous Molotov Toaster Pastry.

I had a tree burn to a pile of ash on two separate occasions when it stopped raining directly after the strike.  The third time it happened I was able to get the fire department there in time to save it.

And once in real life I had a kitchen fire due to an unattended frosted toaster pastry in the toaster.  Those suckers can BURN!

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2007 June 27, 18:55:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about the trellises, though? Or are we just to avoid using the darn things? (And which object(s) exactly are affected by the buggy invisible fire problem, again?)

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
TheVanity
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 June 27, 19:39:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about the trellises, though? Or are we just to avoid using the darn things? (And which object(s) exactly are affected by the buggy invisible fire problem, again?)

and by trellis you mean that fence-with-bedflower pre-order gift for seasons, right? How does it get glitched? I have used these on several occasions and didn't notice anything unusual...
Angie
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP - "Engineer"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 June 27, 23:59:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and by trellis you mean that fence-with-bedflower pre-order gift for seasons, right? How does it get glitched? I have used these on several occasions and didn't notice anything unusual...

No, the trellis in question came with University.  Unlike the Seasons preorder, the game considers the University trellis a tree.  Unfortunately, Maxis neglected to create an animation for this "tree" catching fire after it is struck by lightning.  Soooo, when it is struck by lightning, it causes invisible fires which spawn errors and create all sorts of problems.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: