More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 16:06:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Can't change slope angle of Mansard roof?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can't change slope angle of Mansard roof?  (Read 7078 times)
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Can't change slope angle of Mansard roof?
« on: 2007 June 25, 07:17:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I'm trying to make a roof similar to this.  Notice the slope.

I use the cheat to set the angle to 75.  On the left are some sample roofs I did.  On the left is the Mansard roof as I'm pulling it.  It's nice and steep.

I let it go and it is a regular 45 degree roof.

I change the angle to 15 degrees.  The Mansard roof is still 45 degrees.

What am I doing wrong?
cassandra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Can't change slope angle of Mansard roof?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 25, 07:37:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that the mansard roof will keep the angel necessary encompass as many floor tiles as were created when you first made the roof. Have you tried to change the main roof elevation?
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 25, 08:10:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Enter the cheat:

individualroofslopeangle 75

Then with one of the roofing tools selected, hold down the control and alt keys and click on the roof.  It should set it to 75 degrees, or whatever you specified in the cheat.  I haven't tried specifically with that particular type of roof, but I've used it a lot.

Try it on a "normal" roof to get the feel for how it works, and make sure you're doing it right.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 25, 16:41:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the cheat to set the angle to 75.  On the left are some sample roofs I did.  On the left is the Mansard roof as I'm pulling it.  It's nice and steep.
Oh, the giggles.
Disclaimer: I didn't know that the flat-topped roof was called a Mansard roof. I'm also right-left dyslexic (spatial organization learning disability, but low-grade so it's all good).

I was doing my whole "I write with my right hand, so this must be my left" thing and looking at the pictures. Well, the roof on the left looked okay. Took me quite some time to figure out that the Mansard roof is on the right in the picture. Doi!

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 25, 17:41:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think you can actually change the angle on the mansard roof because of the roof tiles. When you have placed the roof it is possible to put a staircase leading up to there through the attic.

BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 26, 01:08:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But it must be possible, given the original screenshot, unless that house is ridiculously skinny and uses a peaked roof.  Have you tried deleting the top tiles before using the cheat?   Huh

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 26, 01:15:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The screenshot  likely uses the hipped roof, not the mansard. They are identicle-looking from the side and the screenshot doesn't look like it has flat space on top.  Floor tiles can only be placed at set heights, unless you've also turned on those cheats.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 26, 04:06:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The screen shot is definitely a mansard roof as you can see the low concrete wall fencing at the top. (I think the short wrought-iron would have been classier)  It is also a more traditional 'mansard' style as it exists in reality than the one mEAxis supplied us with, since the roof surface should normally be very steep like the picture shows.

It never really occurred to me to try this out but I may play with it soon and report my results if no one else supplies the answer before me.  Hook's description might be the right one, it sounds plausible.  I have a sudden urge to add some empire-style houses to my neighborhood.

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
Khaki
Exasperating Eyesore

HMPH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 June 26, 04:20:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to use the "shed hipped roof" (second in the roof options) drag a roof 1 tile in on all four sides, then use CFE false (boolprop constrainfloorelevation false) to bring the area where you would put the flat tiles of the roof (aka floor tiles) in line with the top of the roof....

you would need to build your cfe false adjusting area to the side of your house and then use the elevation down tool to bring that adjuster areas top level in line with the roof... then put a temporary wall on your actual house roof level and then click and drag to flatten that level down.... if you want it steeper, just adjust your roof angle first, then adjust the levels maybe needing to bring the adjuster location levels up instead of down...
If your house is 2 stories tall, build an area of three walls on top of each other... the top of the third floor is your "roof level" to be seasons safe you need to be sure to put walls and floors under the area... if that makes any sense.. sorta kinda maybe anyway....

If you don't know how to use CFE false yet, here are some vids I have of it being used - the first 2 show using cfe false erm actuall no only the garage attached to foundation shows it being used... also my square stair video also shows it you can find that if you click the "more from user" on the google video page...

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=213193

... I'm sorry but my trackball is fucked and won't let me click and drag, or I would make you a vid of how to do this roof.... but the vids I gave will show you some basices of CFE false...

here are some pics of the process...

OR OH YEAH you can just use the stage option (split level option it's called now i think) and drag a stage across your roof area and it should match up pretty good.... doesn't need CFE false for that... but I'm not sure of the seasonal impact on the house occupants...
« Last Edit: 2007 June 26, 04:54:11 by Khaki » Logged

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 June 26, 05:43:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see what you did thar. Theoretically, Khan of Wyrms, you could then border it with the small wrought iron edging.

Anyways, I was building a new lot in University Land ("Dance!") and tried playing with the mansard. No angle in a multiple of five changed the angle of the roof.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Khaki
Exasperating Eyesore

HMPH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 June 26, 06:14:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see what you did thar. Theoretically, Khan of Wyrms, you could then border it with the small wrought iron edging.

yah you can then put any fencing/edging,
Here's a shot of that cheat/trick on just a couple roof areas of a house... I really think it's one of the handiest roof building tricks to learn... I'd thought the individual roof slopeangle cheat would have made doing this obsolete, but since the mansard roofs won't change slope, I still use it now and then to get my roofs to match up no matter where...

nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 June 26, 06:31:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all the replies.  I have played with constrainelevation before, so I tried Khaki's idea. 

I got a roof that looked nice, but the floor tiles didn't reach all the way to the roof.  I'm afraid it would rain in the house!

As a fast-n-dirty fix I put on narrow hipped roofs all around, then put flooring down across the entire top of the second floor.  Looks silly from the top, but fine from in front.

I think it would be possible to do this, then lower a layer of flooring down onto the roof for looks.  I may play with that later.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: