More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 15:40:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Object/Wallpaper/Flooring sorting???
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Object/Wallpaper/Flooring sorting???  (Read 6465 times)
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Object/Wallpaper/Flooring sorting???
« on: 2007 June 23, 20:47:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How exactly does the game decide how it's going to sort items in the buy/build catalog?  Right now i'm trying to get sets of wallpaper to appear either at the beginning or end of the catalog and nothing I do seems to work.  I've tried renaming the files, i've tried changing the wallpaper name that appears in the catalog and i've changed the prices.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Object/Wallpaper/Flooring sorting???
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 23, 21:09:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, back in the day when I did no sub folders at all it looked like things were sorted by the names alphabetically but it seems that things have changed and I cant figure it out, maybe alphabetically and/or the date created/modified.

ISFJ
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 23, 21:18:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, back in the day when I did no sub folders at all it looked like things were sorted by the names alphabetically but it seems that things have changed and I cant figure it out, maybe alphabetically and/or the date created/modified.

I've looked at the date created and modified and it's not sorting that way either LOL  it's really got me stumped how it's sorting. I'm going to try changing the catalog description and see if that has any effect.
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 23, 21:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In mine it looks like walls and floors are sorted by the date they were added. This means that as sets are usually added at the same time they will be grouped together. Custom walls/floors seem to appear either at the beginning or end of the section depending on the type (carpet, tiles, wallpaper, paint etc), though some are in the middle with stuff pack content tagged on the end.

eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 23, 22:17:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My walls and floors don't seem to be sorted in any intelligible manner. And it changes every time I install an EP or Stuff pack, so by the time I've gotten used to one non-order the game invents a new one. I think it hates me.  Undecided

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 23, 22:54:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I forgot to mention that I have regenerated my groups.cache file which may well have re-ordered things sensibly by date added.

Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 24, 02:57:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would really like to sort my stuff by creator but can never figure it out.  Yes, I forgot soemtimes it does look like its sorted by when something is added but then something throws a wrench into that too.

ISFJ
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 24, 04:37:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...strange, it always seemed to me to be by price. The first few screens of anything are always clogged with items whose creators thought it was a good idea to make all their items cost "$1", and it increases as I click through...

INFP or something
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 June 24, 04:42:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine are definitely NOT sorted by price... that's how it was in Sims 1, but I've never had that in Sims 2. I wish they were, though. It'd be handy so I didn't pick out $15 walls for my poor sims...

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 June 25, 00:25:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...strange, it always seemed to me to be by price. The first few screens of anything are always clogged with items whose creators thought it was a good idea to make all their items cost "$1", and it increases as I click through...

For me, objects are, floors and walls no.  Floors and walls are usually custom first then Maxis or Maxis first then custom and its just random order it seems.

ISFJ
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 June 25, 20:03:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After spending more hours then a normal person probably would/should have LOL.  I've managed to figure out a couple things.  I still can't seem to see any definite way wall coverings are sorted.   Changing the filename of the wallpaper does make changes to where it appears in the catalog.  If you have sets like mult part wall murals or any other sets you would like to have grouped i've been finding that if you change the filenames to go in sequence (wall 01- wall 05 etc), and put them in a subfolder of their own, they will usually be grouped together and in order in the catalog.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 June 25, 20:16:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After spending more hours then a normal person probably would/should have LOL.  I've managed to figure out a couple things.  I still can't seem to see any definite way wall coverings are sorted.   Changing the filename of the wallpaper does make changes to where it appears in the catalog.  If you have sets like mult part wall murals or any other sets you would like to have grouped i've been finding that if you change the filenames to go in sequence (wall 01- wall 05 etc), and put them in a subfolder of their own, they will usually be grouped together and in order in the catalog.

Have you tried naming the subfolders in numeral sequence too? 

ISFJ
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 June 25, 20:25:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried naming the subfolders in numeral sequence too? 

I have.  And that will also change were wallpaper appears in the catalog.  I have all the Life Stories walls in a subfolder of their own.  If the folder is named LSWalls,  I seem to get other sets appearing in the middle of the life stories group, but if I change the name to zLSWalls this doesn't seem to happen.  And this is were my main confusion is at the moment.  Changing the folder name/filename does change the order in the catalog, and at first it looks like the game is sorting by filename, alphabetically.  But then a wallpaper that should be appearing in a certain spot will be off somewhere else in the catalog.  Looking at the filename and catalog name of that wall gives no clue as to why that one will sort somewhere else.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 November 20, 22:46:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I'm necromancing, but I'd like to know if anyone has figured out anything else about this. I just made a huge batch of walls and floors and they seem sort-of sorted, but not really. It is annoying, and I'd like to know if there's a way to get them to actually sort intelligibly.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
mommytotwo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 November 21, 15:08:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the wall/terrain/floor editor from dj's to batch rename the files to what they are ingame. For the most part, all of my sets show up together that way.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 November 21, 20:15:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine are named alphabetically and by set (i.e. floor_neri_carpet_habana_blue), and I compressorized them all at once so they'd have the same "last modified" date, but they still aren't actually organized. They're sort-of organized, but then random crap shows up in the sets, and though the sets tend to stick together, they aren't alphabetical. They do seem to be vaguely organized by price -- but again, not really. I wish someone with the capability to look at this would tell us how the game decides what order they go in. Right now it looks like a 5-year old putting something in order and getting bored 2/3 of the way through.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: