More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 09:22:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Inexplicable Promotion
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Inexplicable Promotion  (Read 4123 times)
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Inexplicable Promotion
« on: 2007 June 22, 22:43:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a Sim that was in the Adventurer career and hit level 6: Dread Pirate. I wanted him to remain on that level for the rest of his life, so I deliberately ensured that he was one skill point short of the requirement to reach the next level. However, even though he did remain a Dread Pirate for quite a while (two weeks Sims time, perhaps?), he eventually got promoted anyways against my express wishes. What the heck? Is there some sort of code programmed into the game where a Sim can't spend a certain length of time on any on level in a creer before they're automatically given a promotion (tenure, if you will)?

I admit that I do have the No Friends for Any Career hack installed, but that shouldn't really affect the skills necessary to advance in one's career, should it?

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
cenoura
Exasperating Eyesore

Talk to the hand!

View Profile
Re: Inexplicable Promotion
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 23, 09:35:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had Sims be promoted before through "contacts" they've made - say a Sim they had a dream date with. One Sim had just been promoted and needed 2 more friends and a total of 5 more skill points to get promoted again, but after a dream date with another Sim in the same career got promoted anyway with the explanation that "<insert name here> has pulled some strings"

ISTP
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 24, 19:50:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had that happen once before a long time ago. However, in this instance, there was no Dream Date or anything. He was just promoted. He was lacking one skill point in Mechanical before he could become a warhead disarmer, but he got promoted anyways. That makes me rather nervous as to what his fate will be if he's promoted to a position like that without having the necessary skill.  Grin

The game was really pushing him to gain that one point, too. At one point, he had three wants that related to it: 'Gain a skill point,' 'gain 1 mechanical skill point,' and 'Reach 7 mechanical points.' Heh.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 24, 20:29:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had always considered the relationship score as key to the 'pulled-strings' promotion, like say in-love with near 100/100 relationship status, not necessarily a 'dream date'.  This could easily be wrong as I never did pay close attention to it.  I had one sim who not only had a lacking in one skill but even came home from work early after a 'chance-card' firing only to get a surprise promotion through the influence of a lover.  I don't have the hack you listed and I have never witnessed a 'tenured'-type promotion, just 'chance-card' and 'pulled-strings' outside of the usual.  Perhaps the 'No Friends for Any Career' hack stomps the 'pulled-strings' promotion info bubble somehow? 

That makes me rather nervous as to what his fate will be if he's promoted to a position like that without having the necessary skill.  Grin

Ach, so ist es eben im leben:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,8450.0.html

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 24, 20:40:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps the 'No Friends for Any Career' hack stomps the 'pulled-strings' promotion info bubble somehow?

I don't think so; I have the nofriends hack and always have the pulled-strings message shown.

I had that surprise promotion (pulled strings) also when a sim barely make friends with its coworker, no dates or else required.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 24, 22:15:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It has to do with relationship, but I think being marked as family can also be enough- getting a new stepdad in your career track can be a great move at work, heh.

INFP or something
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: