More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 07:42:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Dual Core Processor for Sims?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Dual Core Processor for Sims?  (Read 4225 times)
Gamblor
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Dual Core Processor for Sims?
« on: 2007 June 22, 00:31:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have a dual core processor yet. It's the only thing I would need to upgrade in my computer but the question is before I buy it. Is it really worth getting one? Will it show a big improvement playing the Sims on my computer? Any advice would be helpful on making my decision.

Thxs,

A Sims Nightmare!
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
Re: Dual Core Processor for Sims?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 22, 00:48:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It depends. Are you running other things while playing? It won't help with just Sims- it only uses one core. But if you're running things that are eating up your processor while you're trying to play( Like Vista LOL) , then yes, it's worth it.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 22, 02:06:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's really too bad that Quads are still extremely expensive and only in desktops.  Still, if you're choosing between a single core CPU and a dual core always get the dual core.  I've heard the performance is 22% greater but that was before the Core 2 was released.

As for upgrading your existing computer, I'm not sure.  Chances are the Core 2 Duo or Athlon 64 X2 won't work with your current motherboard if it wasn't a recent purchase (About a year I think).
Gamblor
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 22, 04:34:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The motherboard is new and it will support dual core. Vista I don't know if I will ever get that because I have heard it eats up loads of memory and uses every resource on your computer. I think I will stay with XP for now.

Funny how when you do a fresh reinstall on your computer before you add in all the updates and drivers and extra software for your system it runs so much faster then ever before.

To bad there isn't just one program that does it all and isn't such a hogg on your computer running programs you don't really need running.

A Sims Nightmare!
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 22, 14:33:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The motherboard is new and it will support dual core. Vista I don't know if I will ever get that because I have heard it eats up loads of memory and uses every resource on your computer. I think I will stay with XP for now.
Good idea. I got a new laptop with Vista on it, a dual core processor and a gig of ram. Should be enough right? Certainly enough for any other OS. But not Vista.

Vista = Suck.

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
Bain
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 26, 18:45:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good idea. I got a new laptop with Vista on it, a dual core processor and a gig of ram. Should be enough right? Certainly enough for any other OS. But not Vista.

Vista = Suck.

My understanding is you want a minimum of 2 gigs for Vista, optimum ram is 4 gigs
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 26, 18:46:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back to the original question -- TS2 doesn't benefit from multiple cores at all, and in fact may run slower. Search this forum for a post on how to work around this (you need ForceCore.exe).
msalwaysright
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 26, 20:50:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Link to the extremely helpful post:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,7748.0.html

The advice in this post, & overclocking my graphics card(with NVTweak), made my game finally playable. Before making the changes, I was getting the Blue Screen Of Death 45mins to an hour from starting my game.

"Proper capitalization is important, SimplyComplex. As you will know if you have ever had to help your uncle Jack off a horse."~Jack Rudd
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: