More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 14:22:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  New Computer ... need advice - updated. Thanks Everyone!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New Computer ... need advice - updated. Thanks Everyone!  (Read 8900 times)
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
New Computer ... need advice - updated. Thanks Everyone!
« on: 2007 June 18, 02:13:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh I took a quick look at the pinned thread on this but everyone soon lost me as I am not techie at all and get confused easily(and I'm tired). Here's the deal - My Mom won a rather large chunk of money and is willing to buy me a new computer. I want to have a local shop that I trust build me one but it can't run over about $900CDN for the whole set up(monitor and all). I would love a system that stands a chance at running Sims3 when it comes out because I just know this is my one and only chance at a custom built Simmin' machine.

So I need to know a few things...and type slow. I'm just about the least Awesome member on but trust you guys to lead me in the correct direction.

Considering my price contraints and the fact I am in Canada I need recommendations on what I should ask for in all the major parts of a computer(and should I push for XP?): Video Card, CPU(I presume Duo Core?), HD size and speed, amount of RAM and so on. I also gather power supply is a issue and I suppose cases make a difference as well(especailly since we're talking an un-airconditioned basement here and it gets plenty hot in Canada folks!).

Thanks in advance...I hope for enough Awesome responses to call the computer shop in a couple days and tell them what I want and not sound like a total dumdum...help me out? Please?
« Last Edit: 2007 June 20, 23:27:46 by cassblonde » Logged

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
Re: New Computer ... need advice, ASAP.
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 18, 04:47:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am not very awesome, either, but there are two things that I do know.  The first is that you will probably want 2 gigs of ram, because (at least for the next few years) that will be able to run just about whatever you need it to.  Second, I am not sure what the laws are like in Canada, but in the US it can be very expensive to get rid of an old monitor (it's considered hazardous waste), so I usually find my new monitors from www.craigslist.org.  People will sell used (but still very good condition) monitors for dirt, or often give them away for free if you are willing to go pick it up.  You can even get nice flat screen ones, particularly from companies who have recently upgraded and are trying to get rid of a bunch of them.  I looked on the site, and they have subsites for about a dozen areas in Canada, so it might be worth a try.  I haven't payed for a monitor in years.  They can be so expensive, so that might give you a helpful chunk more to use towards the actual machine.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 18, 05:21:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Monitors are dirt cheap anymore anyway.  I got a professional grade Viewsonic 21" CRT for $500 delivered.  But there should be plenty of used monitors around if you know where to look.

Invisigoth, I followed the link in your signature.  The full quote is even more interesting:

We [at EA] want to avoid making 'pink games.' Women enjoy many of the same features in gameplay as men do. The way EA sees it is there's a lot of untapped potential out there."

This seems a bit higher than a T rating would suggest. Cheesy

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 18, 07:00:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
450w+ power supply
RADEON video card- please, do yourself a favor and avoid the Sims/Nvidia headaches. And the Nvidia/Vista headaches if you choose Vista. Something in the x850 or higher is fine for now. The x1950 Pro would be awesome.

What you really need to look for is upgradeability. Even if you only have one shot at customization, it doesn't mean that you'll be stuck with what you pick. You can add RAM, a different video card, or even a new Hard Drive very easily.  Power supplies are a pain, only because you have to unplug and replug everything, but even that can be upgraded later, if you find that you need more power. 

If you have a working monitor, why replace it immediately, at all? For the case, just look at something that seems to have space and the bigger fans are better (and tend to be quieter)

The main thing is you definitely want Dual Core, and Intel is worlds ahead on that right now, and it's harder to change your mind and swap out the processor later on.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 18, 08:04:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Monitors are dirt cheap anymore anyway.  I got a professional grade Viewsonic 21" CRT for $500 delivered.  But there should be plenty of used monitors around if you know where to look.

Invisigoth, I followed the link in your signature.  The full quote is even more interesting:

We [at EA] want to avoid making 'pink games.' Women enjoy many of the same features in gameplay as men do. The way EA sees it is there's a lot of untapped potential out there."

This seems a bit higher than a T rating would suggest. Cheesy

Hook

Yeah, I'm 22 and trying to get through college.  500$ is well out of my price range, actually 50$ is well out of my price range.  Free is just about right.  Wink

And I took that part of the quote because I thought it was kind of a funny dumb thing to say.  But I am glad that you enjoyed it.  Although I am not really sure what you're driving at with the T rating thing.  That might be because it's 4 AM my time and I should definitely be in bed.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 18, 08:35:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't let them push Vista on you!
If they'll let you, buy the computer without operating system and install it yourself.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 18, 08:39:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Always take freebies, never pay for an operating system, and always reformat a new computer. And don't use Vista. I always begin by rad-wiping and zeroing any new hard drive. There's nothing like high-intensity ion bombardment in a strong magnetic field for utterly scouring the disk of every trace of filthy spyware.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 18, 09:08:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Operative systems are never free.  They just hide the cost.
You probably already own at least one copy of WinXP. Find some sneaky way of installing it, and don't feel like you're stealing; you OWN it.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 June 18, 09:27:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Operative systems are never free.  They just hide the cost.
Well, yes, obviously. That's why you order your computer in pieces, getting twice as much computer for half the cost.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 June 18, 10:19:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks everyone, Katenigma especially because you put things in terms I understand Cheesy Also my overall plan is that we will have 4 working computer systems in the basement computer room - I need a monitor and all to do that so I can let my youngest two kids play on the 5 year old computer and my husband have the 3 year old computer that is currently our gaming computer. My oldest daughter's grandparents bought her a computer a year and a half ago but since it's hers she doesn't share.

I should be more specific so everyone else will understand where I'm coming from here ...

Pescado I am honored that you would reply and am a huge fan of your clearly advanced intellect and love your work but I am but a lowly housewife and am not techie at all ... So all I can say is "Huh?"

Gwill, One of our computers has a legit copy of XP the other one(my current gaming computer) is 'not genuine' and I get that damn timer box all the time at boot up. I would prefer to go with XP but have a sneaking bad feeling that no one sells it anymore I will find out though.

My plan at this time is to get some specs from you guys and then call the computer shop I take my computers to when they need to get fixed and get a quote from them to tell my Mom(and then make huge puppy dog eyes and see if I can get it because I have a felling it may be a touch more than my budget). Hey, I can be in my 30s and still be a Mama's girl! Especially now, and yes it was a very large amount of money even to me so chances are good Smiley

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 June 18, 10:54:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's always possible to "make" a copy of XP genuine.  It's not too hard either, but you might have to do some research.  I'm terrible at explaining, so I'm not even going to try.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 June 18, 11:39:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's always possible to "make" a copy of XP genuine.  It's not too hard either, but you might have to do some research.  I'm terrible at explaining, so I'm not even going to try.
Apparently, somebody managed to validate an install of Ubuntu Linux as "Genuine Windoze" and got to the Windoze Defender download page. Shows you how much "Genuine Windoze" is worth. It wasn't even Windoze, let alone genuine!

MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 June 18, 13:07:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First and most important: Get the best upgradable motherboard you can afford. It should be SLI ready, able to hold 8 gigs of ram and have a great chipset (680i is the gamers benchmark right now. All the rest you can easily upgrade later.YOU can get a good case that will make working on it easier for under a $100--most important factor: airflow and fan setup.

Remember: Cool is good. If I was you, I'd read up and see how easy it is to build your own system. Let the techs put the cooler on your processor if that makes you nervous. The money you save in labor can be put into better parts. Start reading. It's not hard. Afterall, I did it...Tongue

My machine: I went with the Asus P5N32e mother board, E6600 processor (I'll upgrade in a year to an Extreme) under a Zalman 9500 cooler, with Asus 7900 gs graphics cards (upgrade to 8800 gts later) with four--count 'em four!! gigs of ram all in an Altec 900 case. (That's an Nvidia chipset on the graphics cards and Sims is playing great! I'm amazed at the picture. It's stunning.) Oh yeah: I also treated us to a Asus 22" LCD screen. That made a huge difference, I was really surprised cuz my old screen wasn't bad (19' Sony Trinitron CRT)

I'm on Vista--cuz I have a 64 bt system. I actually LIKE Vista. It has it's problems right now and it isn't the most stable (it IS a MS product...) but the interface I like--simple, fairly straightforward and it's easy enough to get most of the crap in it turned off. You have to be fairly knowledgable to deal with it--or willing to learn as you go and read read read Smiley Not a hard thing to do if you know enough to format and reinstall, not hard things at all.

I think Pes is right: one shouldn't have to pay for an OS. I did pay for my Vista but just because I have a quirky son that wanted to be all legal like. You most likely already have XP: just put that on your new machine.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 June 18, 13:19:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...able to hold 8 gigs of ram...
Before we scare the crap out of anyone; that does not mean you have to, or even should, actually fill it with 8GB of RAM.  No one needs that much at the moment.
If you go with XP 32-bit, 3GB of RAM is the most you can utilize.  I currently have 4GB RAM in my computer, but only 2,87 of those are actually usable by Windows.  If you're silly enough to actually go for Vista, you should get 4GB right away.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 June 18, 13:52:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before we scare the crap out of anyone; that does not mean you have to, or even should, actually fill it with 8GB of RAM.  No one needs that much at the moment.
That is untrue. If you have > 4 GBs of CC and an OS that can handle that much RAM, then you need at least 8 GBs of RAM.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 June 18, 15:01:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only by Pescado standards.
And if we're going to go by those, we might as well argue that no one needs 4GB of CC under any circumstances.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 June 18, 15:23:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, you're right Gwill. No one really needs 8 gigs now--but they will in a few years. If you get a mobo that's ready for that now then you're good to go when you need it.

I'm leery of cheap mobos having recently experienced being 'mobo challenged': my old PC had 1 gig, would hold two gigs-so it said when I got it. But when trying to install 2 gigs--it wouldn't recognize the extra gig. I tried different memory still wouldn't go. Heard it was Xp, heard it was the mobo, heard it was the memory itself. Too much hassle ordering memory, RMAing it, repeat. Got frustrated and stopped trying.....I THINK it was the mobo to begin with--lying Micron selling cheap nonsupported Intel board. I will never buy a premade unit again. It's too easy to put a PC together. If one fears all the components won't jive then copy someone elses setup off one of the forums where people go brag about their PCs. It's just too easy...

Even Vista won't recognize the 4 gigs until you go get a patch for it from MS (stupid MS.)

I have a Logitech LCD panel right in front of me now when I play and I can monitor the memory usage moment to moment Tongue I have just under 2 gigs of CC (thanks to jfade!) in normal day events for the Sims, I use at least 2 gigs of ram. ANd it often goes a bit above the two gigs. But Vista is a memory hog too. In percentages: of 4 gigs of ram, Vista uses on average 25%. With Sims running it runs at about 60% sometimes spiking a bit over that.
« Last Edit: 2007 June 18, 15:29:51 by MutantBunny » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 June 18, 15:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, you're right Gwill. No one really needs 8 gigs now--but they will in a few years. If you get a mobo that's ready for that now then you're good to go when you need it.
In a few years, your computer will likely suffer from some other fundamental shortcoming necessitating a full motherboard replacement anyway.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2007 June 18, 16:36:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gwill, One of our computers has a legit copy of XP the other one(my current gaming computer) is 'not genuine' and I get that damn timer box all the time at boot up. I would prefer to go with XP but have a sneaking bad feeling that no one sells it anymore I will find out though.

XP should still be available for a while yet--even after MS stops distributing the OS, there will still be copies circulating in the market, and AFAIK they have no plans to stop validating or activating new installations any time soon.  So you should be good there--and I concur with the others, definitely don't get Vista!  And 2 GB RAM should just about cover you for the time being.  (I manage quite nicely on 1.5, but I also obsessively scrub my machine to get rid of unnecessary memory-eating processes.)

If you're going to really skimp on anything, BTW, I would recommend it be the sound.  Integrated sound should be perfectly adequate for running Sims games; you really don't need a spiffy sound card unless you're an audiophile and using the machine for music playback.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 June 18, 17:00:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

XP should still be available for a while yet--even after MS stops distributing the OS, there will still be copies circulating in the market, and AFAIK they have no plans to stop validating or activating new installations any time soon. 

The response to Vista has been so poor that I noticed over the weekend that even Dell is once again offering XP as an option on most of their new computers.  They had stopped doing that after Vista first came out.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2007 June 18, 17:09:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The response to Vista has been so poor that I noticed over the weekend that even Dell is once again offering XP as an option on most of their new computers.  They had stopped doing that after Vista first came out.

I had heard that, yeah.  I personally plan to avoid Vista until it hits about SP2 and/or I am forced to get a new PC, whichever comes first.  :p

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2007 June 20, 23:27:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just an update my computer has been purchased and is being built *does a happy dance*. Thank you everyone that helped and replied to my thread! Here are the specs:

System Specifications:
Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo Dual-Core
Mainboard: ASUS® P5B- E intel P965 Chipset
Memory: 2 GB DDR2 667MHz Dual-Ch. Memory
Hard Disk: 250GB 7200rpm SATA 3G Drive 16MB Cache
Optical Drive: 18X MAX DVD/RW Dual Layer
Video Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256M PCI- E Graphics
Sound Card: Six Channel High Definition Audio
Keyboard: Saitek Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Gaming Mouse
Speakers: Cdn Designed Edifer 2.1 Subwoofer Speakers
Network: 10/100/1000 Network Interface (on board)
Enclosure: Ferrari-red Case - dual 12V 430W Power
Operating Sys: Microsoft Windows XP Home
Monitor: Viewsonic 20in Widescreen LCD
Warranty: 1 Yr Parts & Labor System Warranty
Bonus: McAfee 2007 Virusscan Plus

*big evil grin* So you think the Sims will run on it?  Grin

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
Re: New Computer ... need advice - updated. Thanks Everyone!
« Reply #22 on: 2007 June 20, 23:46:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not without problems, because you completely ignored the advice about not buying an Nvidia card.  These are known problems that stem back over a year.

Why do people even bother to ask if they are going to do the opposite?  Roll Eyes

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 June 21, 00:05:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also what model of Intel Core 2 Duo is it?  Not that it really makes a difference to whether it will play the sims but I am interested.

I would have gone Intel and ATI not Intel and nvidia too.  And if I were you I wouldn't use McAfee for virus protection.  On a plus side you have a good amount of RAM, fairly decent size hard drive and you'll have XP instead of Vista.  This will probably run TS2 fine providing you don't run into Nvidia problems. 

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind my asking?
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 June 21, 01:15:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

but in the US it can be very expensive to get rid of an old monitor (it's considered hazardous waste),

Goodwill Industries (which are nationwide) will take used computer equipment - including monitors.  My local store charged nothing when I dropped off my 19" monster monitor, which I had replaced with a flat screen. 

http://www.goodwill.org/page/guest/about

Edited to add that Goodwill is a 501(c)(3) organization, thus you can get a receipt and write off the donation on your tax return.
« Last Edit: 2007 June 21, 02:55:09 by ZiggyDoodle » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: