More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:14:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Hair Randomizer?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hair Randomizer?  (Read 4529 times)
Frally
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Hair Randomizer?
« on: 2007 June 17, 11:51:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just starting an Apocalypse challenge and the thought of generations upon generations of sims having crappy Maxis default hair is making me twitch. I don't mind not choosing the hair, I just wish it didn't always end up being the same crappy hairstyle all the time.

Is there a hack, or something I can do in game (that's not technically cheating) to randomize what hair my heirs get?
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
Re: Hair Randomizer?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 17, 11:56:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Er, if your custom hair is binned, then I do believe that toddlers will sometimes end up with it randomly (in whatever hair color they inherited from their parents). Townies and so on can also generate with binned hair.

Or you could ignore any restrictions on changing appearance. That's kind of silly even for an apocalypse challenge. It doesn't have any effect on the actual gameplay, after all.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Frally
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 17, 12:01:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really? I always seem to end up with that ugly maxis shaggy-over-the-eyes cut on all my females, no joke. Yes, I know I could always cheat, but it kind of defeats the purpose of unlocking the showbiz career. *sigh*

My custom townies have generated with binned hair so that's not a problem, I just need more variety on my born-in-game sims.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 17, 12:15:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since installing Seasons I've noticed my sims get random hairs when they turn toddler.

As for your issue, I know this was discussed on MATY in this topic about the Apocalypse challenge.  Many people chose to go with randomly selecting a Maxis hair upon transition to toddler, using a die or randomiser program.  You are still not choosing it yourself, and chances are you could still end up with that fugly pixie hair that girls used to get pre-Seasons (I did in one of my playthroughs of this challenge).  BTW, that hair is the reason I downloaded toddler hairs, so that I could select a reasonable hairstyle from toddlerhood.

As for many generations, Apocalypse doesn't have to be many generations.  In one of my playthroughs, it only took 2 generations (single vampire female founder + plenty of kids).  In another playthrough, it took 3 generations - founder + spouse, 7 kids + 1 spouse, and the grandkids finished it off.  Once the non-heirs had done their part in lifting a restriction I moved them out to the simbin to make room for the next sim returning from uni.  I haven't played it since before Pets though, so there were less restrictions I had to lift.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 17, 18:23:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure if they ever closed the various 0day exploits.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ari_
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 17, 18:48:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did chose the hair and clothes for them all, but before unlocking ShowBiz somewhere at the end, I only gave them ripped, dirty or trashy clothes, or stuff that looked like it was patched together from other stuff, and also only gave them hair that was unkempt, or cropped short. They also only got furniture (recolors or original meshes) that looked dirty, broken down, etc.

After unlocking, I slowly let them switch over to decent-looking hair/clothes.

I liked that a lot better than limiting myself to random Maxis stuff, since that just doesn't fit, visually, with the theme.
Sapnish
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 17, 19:12:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just starting an Apocalypse challenge and the thought of generations upon generations of sims having crappy Maxis default hair is making me twitch. I don't mind not choosing the hair, I just wish it didn't always end up being the same crappy hairstyle all the time.

Is there a hack, or something I can do in game (that's not technically cheating) to randomize what hair my heirs get?

I'm not sure which pack it really was, but I think it was OFB that fixed this. Before, I had the same problem, where the boys would all have the puff head and the girls would all get that stupid shaggy meg hair. Now they seem to get a more randomised selection.

Or it could be that I've just got so much binned custom hair that that has taken over and it's still the same stupid Maxis hair but mixed with my custom stuff.... I do know OFB gave you the mirror option of changing your toddler's hairstyle to something less...dumb.

i r taking personality test too.
i r ISTJ.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 17, 20:51:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My toddlers still seem to get the same stupid hairstyle most of the time...few exceptions. And I have pages of binned custom stuff.

The hair restriction is one of those that makes no sense to me in Apocalypse. It doesn't affect gameplay at all. I just let them change hair to whatever, but no makeup unless they go to college (because resources aren't spent on stupid useless crap in the nuked hood) and then no changes once they get back.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 June 19, 09:13:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you sure that the custom hair that you have is complete for all ages? Many use default maxis hair for toddler & child and then have the sim 'grow into' the custom one.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 June 19, 14:39:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most of my girl customs use the Maxis almost-bald hair as the first...well, the few that don't have toddler meshes. Nope, when I go to change appearance they are clearly using a non-maxis hair. It's that chin-length straight one that turns into the shoulder-length one pulled back with a barrette.

Every once in awhile I do get a binned custom hair, so I thoroughly blame sadorandomness. It's no biggie, anyways. I almost always change the hair because I prefer to have a light brown hair if mom & dad were blond & brown, or dark brown for brown & black, strawberry blond for red & blond parents. Etc.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 June 19, 19:11:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a LOT of binned hair, and I've binned them all myself, so I've made sure there's no duplicate toddler hairs, and my toddlers mostly get custom hair.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: