More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 11:46:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  B0rked Maxis Glasses (just one pair, crashes game, added pictures)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: B0rked Maxis Glasses (just one pair, crashes game, added pictures)  (Read 7156 times)
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
B0rked Maxis Glasses (just one pair, crashes game, added pictures)
« on: 2007 May 31, 15:15:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Several, but not all, One pair of the Maxis female glasses originating with the base game are broken in my game and have been for quite some time (possibly since before I installed OFB, which was just a couple of months after release). Usually they just don't work, and either nothing appears at all when I click on them or I get the "black slab earrings" effect, but I was messing around in debug mode in CAS today and the game actually crashed when I clicked on one of the non-working pairs to see if debug mode would shed any light on the problem.

It's not the blue flashing issue, they don't even appear in the first place TO flash blue. They're not missing from the catalog, they just don't work. It's not all of them, just some (and I wasn't that concerned about it for a long time because the ones I like work fine, but now I have some really nice recolors of these and of course they don't work, plus there's the whole game-crashing thing).

Anybody else seen this? Is this one of those 'replace the corrupted file' issues, and if so, what file do I need to be replacing?

EDIT: Images of the correctly functioning male version of the glasses, and a demonstration in Body Shop that when I select the female version of them, nothing actually appears on the Sim's face.

http://www.kudaranai.net/asimmetrical/glasses-working.jpg
http://www.kudaranai.net/asimmetrical/glasses-broken.jpg
« Last Edit: 2007 June 12, 05:07:56 by akatonbo » Logged

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
purplebunny
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: B0rked Maxis Glasses
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 31, 16:48:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had this too, sort of. It's only one pair of glasses so far - the dark black square-framed ones for guys. It's a YA who is affected, and when he shows up on a lot his entire face has blue flashing over it, facial hair, eyebrows & glasses are missing. Once he goes to the mirror and changes his appearance, though, it fixes.

In my case I just assumed hubby installed a custom accessory that was somehow managing to conflict, since the problem showed up while he was in the midst of a massive downloading spree setting up his 'hood.

akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 12, 03:37:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm, tried replacing the objects.package file for the base game and that didn't help. On to replacing later objects.package files, I guess, because it's still crashing my game.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 12, 04:36:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, have now replaced the objects.package files for TS2, Uni, NL, and OFB and it still doesn't help. Only the female version of the glasses is broken, the male version is working just fine, and I'm reasonably sure by now that it's really only the one mesh. I now cannot view the very last page in the adult female glasses category because of this problem, since I decided I wanted to redo all my CAS thumbnails, and with the old thumbnail gone the game now crashes when it tries to generate new ones.

akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
Re: B0rked Maxis Glasses (just one pair, crashes game, added pictures)
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 12, 22:57:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just in case anyone is actually reading this...

While I thought I'd noticed the problem in a clean game, possibly I was wrong. I took out all of my accessories, and the glasses worked again. So I did the standard 50/50 isolation method and got it largely narrowed down to a group of earrings from PeggySims that I've had pretty much as long as I've had any custom content in the first place. I'm not happy to probably be losing my peacock feather earrings (I love those things), not to mention several other nice-looking pairs of custom-mesh earrings that look worlds better than the DrPixel alpha stuff (some of it is lovely, but all of it is 2d in a 3d game), but it's nice to have working glasses again.

However, I'm still having a different problem with the same glasses, and the new problem is intermittent -- it doesn't happen with every pair that uses that mesh, and it doesn't happen all the time with the pairs that are affected, either. Will continue testing. Tongue

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 12, 23:09:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been following this  Grin  I just can't help  Tongue

akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 13, 03:47:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tried loading up the actual game (I'd done all my isolation testing in Body Shop), first by creating a new user login for a totally clean game (everything worked), then by pulling everything BUT accessories from Downloads in my normal game for loading speed and checking to see whether I got the same results in-game as in Body Shop, which I did.

Pictures demonstrating the fact that some pairs of the glasses work and some are now appearing on Sims without crashing the game but are still screwed up:

http://www.kudaranai.net/asimmetrical/working2.jpg
http://www.kudaranai.net/asimmetrical/broken2.jpg

Seriously, WTF? *goes back to weeding through goddamn accessories* I'm still cranky about the Peggy earrings. Wonder if it's fixable.

pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 13, 05:43:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

got it largely narrowed down to a group of earrings from PeggySims that I've had pretty much as long as I've had any custom content in the first place. I'm not happy to probably be losing my peacock feather earrings
I had a problem with maxis glasses a long time ago (around nightlife or OFB), some were showing as blue flashing squares, and I did find that the problem was some peggy earrings, peacock feather to be exact..... Don't know if it is the same earrings you have, but I would try to take them our first, just to see if it is the same problem I had.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 June 13, 16:06:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I'm officially confused.

I cannot reproduce the problem in a totally clean game on a separate Windows login (a game that has never had any custom content in it ever). However, I cannot completely eliminate the problem by removing both Downloads and SavedSims from my normal game.

In any game in which the problem occurs at all, a total of 3 pairs of Maxis glasses are affected -- every pair which uses the mesh pictured and has black frames. I do not think that either of the pairs which have frames of a different color have ever shown up broken, even though they use the same mesh.

During the same CAS session (and thus obviously during the same game session and with exactly the same custom content or lack of custom content installed), if I cancel the Sim I was creating and start over, the results will be different -- sometimes all of the glasses will work, sometimes all 3 black-framed pairs will be broken, and sometimes only 1 or 2 of them will be broken and the rest will be working just fine.

In fact, I have taken a screenshot of one Sim wearing working glasses, and another Sim wearing the broken version of the exact same pair, standing next to each other in front of the CAF backdrop (enlarged to triple size so you can see the broken-ness in front of the also-black backdrop).

http://www.kudaranai.net/asimmetrical/broken3.jpg

I think I'll just give up, unless anyone else has any suggestions. At least I've managed to eliminate the actual game-crashing, which does indeed appear to have been caused by the Peggy earrings.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 June 21, 19:56:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Questions:

Is CAS in debug mode or not?
Do you have any of the Maxis crap hider mods?

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 June 21, 22:38:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had the game crash both in debug mode and not in debug mode. (I usually don't use debug mode in CAS, but did try it while I was working on the problem.) The crashing was definitely caused by the Peggy earrings, though, and I haven't tried debug mode since I deleted those.

I do not have any Maxis hider mods. (And yes, I'm positive -- I always put mods in their own subdir (in fact, in organized subdirs inside the 'Hacks' subdir), and I'm only halfway through replacing all the mods I had before installing Pets and Seasons anyway -- almost everything I have installed right now is by JMP or TwoJeffs, and I had never used any hider mods before installing the new packs anyway.)

The bugginess with the mesh that remained after I deleted the Peggy earrings happened intermittently even with my entire Downloads folder moved outside of My Documents, but not, as mentioned, in a totally clean game. I haven't tried messing with it much since the day I spent working on it, though -- a problem that goes on and off even though I'm not changing anything is very hard to debug.

Leeahna
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 June 22, 00:00:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had a problem like that with her Peacock earrings, it was solved after i removed those from the game. Shame really as i had some nice clothes to go with those earrings.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: