More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 18:05:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Third Seasons Patch is out....
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Third Seasons Patch is out....  (Read 97345 times)
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
Re: Third Seasons Patch is out....
« Reply #200 on: 2007 June 21, 16:59:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you know if Guild2/the EP has any endgame? Guild didn't seem to have any - you'd go on and on and on, until eventually the game would crash Smiley

Unsouper
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: 2007 June 21, 19:20:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Didn't they fix the 'Pet gets §0' from a winning chance card in a previous patch? If so, they broke it again.

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2007 June 21, 19:57:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The main problem I have with accepting Sam's word for anything is the fact that there is no transparency in anything he explains. His whole apology is a brief and unsatisfactory piece of specious reasoning that only bothers to cover a small portion of the issues. He talks in very general terms about the process but never describes exactly how it works or why they do things the way they do.

And he has the gall to compare EA's QA with a modders? Modders, as I'm sure he well knows, are limited to scripting environments that will work on any platform (given that the game engine has been sufficiently debugged). When we release code in the form of mods, it gets a lot MORE testing in the form of volunteers here who gladly look for bugs. If modders don't debug and revise their code, they quickly become known as lamers. The whole process here is an open one where anyone can take the code they are presented with and modify it further to see whether it holds to various testing conditions. In spite of not being paid for it we have thousands of available testers available on a few fan sites, and what does EA have? Who knows?

If EA coders were unpaid fans like ourselves, I'd be okay with how they operate and this kind of vague hand waving from Sam would acceptable. The problem is that EA coders are well rewarded for their efforts, so it is very reasonable for us to demand more transparency. We've earned that right.

Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2007 June 21, 20:01:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OT RANT

There were similar install problems with Civ4 and ATI, but not only did they have a work-around up the day after release, but the patch to fix it within a week. 

Every time I see someone say how Civ4 was fixed in the patch, I cringe. I've been a die-hard Civ player from the day Civ 1 was released. I've played every engine change since. Civ 3 never was balanced correctly to play a decent game so I rejoiced when Civ 4 was released. Much better, but several bugs that would crash you to the desktop. Patch applied. Better, but not fixed. Warlord expansion applied. Fixed a lot of stuff the patch never touched. Only a few bugs left. Patch applied. Doggone if they didn't fix a critical crashing bug, so I have to keep the patch, but they broke several things they fixed when I installed Warlords.  Grrr....

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
« Last Edit: 2007 June 21, 20:16:12 by magicmoon » Logged

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: 2007 June 21, 20:06:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The main problem I have with accepting Sam's word for anything is the fact that there is no transparency in anything he explains. His whole apology is a brief and unsatisfactory piece of specious reasoning that only bothers to cover a small portion of the issues. He talks in very general terms about the process but never describes exactly how it works or why they do things the way they do.

And he has the gall to compare EA's QA with a modders? Modders, as I'm sure he well knows, are limited to scripting environments that will work on any platform (given that the game engine has been sufficiently debugged). When we release code in the form of mods, it gets a lot MORE testing in the form of volunteers here who gladly look for bugs. If modders don't debug and revise their code, they quickly become known as lamers. The whole process here is an open one where anyone can take the code they are presented with and modify it further to see whether it holds to various testing conditions. In spite of not being paid for it we have thousands of available testers available on a few fan sites, and what does EA have? Who knows?

If EA coders were unpaid fans like ourselves, I'd be okay with how they operate and this kind of vague hand waving from Sam would acceptable. The problem is that EA coders are well rewarded for their efforts, so it is very reasonable for us to demand more transparency. We've earned that right.

This is starting to remind me eerily of the ongoing IE vs. Firefox war...

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2007 June 21, 20:46:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I imagine that one of the main reasons for screwing up the patch was lack of testing resource i.e. testers and machines. Being realistic, this was a second patch for the fifth EP and I'll bet that the majority of the test department are tied up with the next round or two of lies and propaganda (life stories pt2, bon voyage). They will also have concentrated their test plans on fixed Seasons bugs/functionality with likely very little regression testing against normal gameplay hence the crying babies creeping back in. This doesn't excuse what happened but it is probably a fairly accurate analysis. Yes, PC games are shipped with known bugs, it's just a question of where the publisher sets the threshold for what it believes the target audience will tolerate.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2007 June 21, 20:47:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The real question is why the unnecessarily fucked with something that wasn't broken just to break it again.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2007 June 21, 20:51:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe they fuxxed up their source control? They probably branched for the first patch and screwed up on the code base they started from for the second patch. I got the impression that the entire crying baby fix was absent.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: 2007 June 21, 20:55:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, in all fairness, even with the minor puttering I do I know it can be annoyingly easy to lose track of which version of a file is stowed where, and what changes were made in which version...that being said, though, you'd think a bunch of people who do this sort of thing for a living would have some kind of procedural policy to minimize that kind of confusion.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2007 June 21, 21:11:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Top 10 things likely to be overheard from a Klingon Programmer

10. Specifications are for the weak and timid!

9. You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!

8. Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!

7. What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.

6. Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.

5. Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.

4. A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!

3. Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.

2. You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.

1. Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Oldie. Substitute EAxian for Klingon.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
akatarli
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2007 June 21, 21:20:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For those who have tested the new patch....
I never got patch 2a, not because people said it was buggy, but just because I didn't feel that it was necessary. Is getting 2b needed, or should I just continue without?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2007 June 21, 21:28:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh. So. Maybe patch bug, maybe unaddressed bug:
Ivy made a boo-boo on the level 10 Medicine chance card. She turned away the intern, but the greedy upstart went and reported her. She was supposed to be fired. She wasn't.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2007 June 21, 21:46:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you know if Guild2/the EP has any endgame? Guild didn't seem to have any - you'd go on and on and on, until eventually the game would crash Smiley

It always did have an endgame as long as you weren't playing in Dynasty mode.

Every time I see someone say how Civ4 was fixed in the patch, I cringe. I've been a die-hard Civ player from the day Civ 1 was released. I've played every engine change since. Civ 3 never was balanced correctly to play a decent game so I rejoiced when Civ 4 was released. Much better, but several bugs that would crash you to the desktop. Patch applied. Better, but not fixed. Warlord expansion applied. Fixed a lot of stuff the patch never touched. Only a few bugs left. Patch applied. Doggone if they didn't fix a critical crashing bug, so I have to keep the patch, but they broke several things they fixed when I installed Warlords.  Grrr....

I said that the installation problems were fixed. Wink  Which they were. 

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
NixRMax
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2007 June 22, 01:39:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Something I just noticed, not sure if it's patch related or my game being stupid:

All computers, even custom computers, are depreciating before they should. If you place a computer, go into live mode and play for even just a second, then come back to buy/build mode and delete it, it's instantly depreciated as if it stayed past 12:00 AM. No other objects seem to do this, as I tested a few objects to see if they were affected in a similar way; no dice.

I shall not go gentle into that good night...
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2007 June 22, 01:45:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Standard game practice.  The computers depreciate the moment you buy them.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
NixRMax
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2007 June 22, 01:47:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really, never heard of that. Guess I need to pay more attention...

I shall not go gentle into that good night...
Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: 2007 June 22, 01:52:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think this is to stop the "buy a computer; check for jobs; sell computer - if your dream job hasn't come up, do the same again tomorrow" exploit.

Twice West of England chess champion
FIDE rating 2328
Official MATY Predictable Puellile Poser
In Memoriam: WFM Jessie Gilbert, 1987-2006
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2007 June 22, 03:03:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never got patch 2a, not because people said it was buggy, but just because I didn't feel that it was necessary. Is getting 2b needed, or should I just continue without?

If it ain't broke, why fix it? 

I have a patch folder containing all the patches, but the last one installed and running in my game is the patch for EP3. 
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2007 June 23, 00:08:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Patches are cumulative (as all good patches should be). One of the few things they did right.

I don't get why some people make patches that require other patches. That is the epitome of stupid programming.

Count Four
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2007 June 23, 03:37:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got the empty template for G002. Do I need to replace it with the original before I attempt to patch? I read through this thread, but I'm still chicken not sure.

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2007 June 23, 03:49:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got the empty template for G002. Do I need to replace it with the original before I attempt to patch? I read through this thread, but I'm still chicken not sure.

Try to patch and see if the patch complains. If it does, replace the G002 with the original. No need to do extra work unless it's actually necessary.

After patching, check the G002 folder to make sure the patch didn't replace your empty template with a full-of-crap version.

Fail.
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2007 June 23, 04:44:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having a problem trying to install the patch.
It won't install for some reason but give me the "Please reinstall seasons before you try this patch again" error message

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2007 June 23, 05:34:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Move the dialog up, and replace the file it borks on from the CD. Probably objects.package.
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2007 June 23, 07:51:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

tried your suggestion but somehow it didn't work.
I think the patch is borked or something

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2007 June 23, 08:01:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. It installed without problems on my machine, and after I replaced objects.package from the disk, it did so on my sister's. So the patch is fine, your game isn't. Unpack compressed.zip over the Seasons install so it will overwrite everything and try again.

Of course EAxis could also start using a working patch mechanism instead. But that's wishful thinking. The RTPatch system sucks as much as installshield :/
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: