More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 21:41:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  It burns!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: It burns!  (Read 30699 times)
bairy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: It burns!
« Reply #75 on: 2005 October 13, 21:00:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing or not. When I clicked into the forum in the old style there used to be a column that gave the time and name of the last poster, so at a glance you could see if there were any new replies and who the last one to reply was. So that if you asked the creator (or thread starter or whatever the case may be) a question you could quickly see whether or not they replied without having to click in the thread or actually subscribe to the thread and be notified via email. Just a quick visual check.
If you have the core pages enabled (or rather don't have them skipped) then the downloads core page (but none of the other core pages at present) does have "Last post" column in the forum part. There's no actual link to the last post but it will show you who made it.

I reset my front loading page last night, the problem I encountered however is that anything I clicked on (that should have taken me to the main page) kept me on the my revised setting page. i.e. I would click on the logo or what have you to get to the main page but it kept putting me back at the page I set as my start page. Is there any way around that? I didnt realize it would affect it that way so I put it back to the new style.
That's what's meant by "Home page". If you click Home or the logo, it will take you to your preferred page. The only way to the new or old index page is by selecting those as your home page.

I went and revised all my settings to the old style, but I got stuck in the sort by functions or room area when I went to downloads, I dont like that way of searching/viewing so I ended up resetting everything back to the new style to get the core page back which has all the stuff in that area in a list (with the sort titles on top that you can use to drill down) style format so I can see right up front whats new and whats not regardless of category.
There's not a lot can be done about that, it's one method of browsing, or the other.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2005 October 13, 21:06:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ok, well that all makes sense then.

Yes a hotlink would be great on the name of the last poster to enabled a jump to the last reply rather than having to click on the thread and then go to the last page. (lazy I know...)
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2005 October 14, 02:21:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Site is looking (and working!) much better now than it was a couple weeks ago..I can now find stuff much more easy.

I feel a bit bad for jumping the gun and not giving it more time...that'll teach me to be a bit more patient *heh*
humybyrd
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2005 November 05, 11:07:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sagana,
Firstly, thanks for such a well thought out post. It's nice to get a geniunly constructive post we can actually work with.

I don't think MTS2 is over-moderated. There are occasions when a lot of threads are deleted within a short space of time for various reasons, and it does look heavy handed however this isn't a regular occurance.

I don't know if its a moderation issue or just a God complex but I have posted houses on MTS2 without a problem.  Being limited in what I can create at this time I tried my hand at some female mass murderers.  No matter what I did I could not get them posted.  There was always some excuse (pictures not good enough, need shots of real and simmies for compairison etc.) I complied with the wishes of the forum mod until I got to the point of the face shots were not close up enough to show the details and a week later someone had a celebrity posted without a real person photo for compairison (something I had been turned down for on my 3rd try to get these posted!).  I wasn't able to get back on for a week or so but figured that it just wasn't worth the effort anymore.  At that point I decided to forget posting my stuff and just check in from time to time to see whats new.  I rarely get help from anyone with regards to how to do things (wasn't that the original intention of the site?) I just get not so politely referred back to a tutorial that if I had understood in the first place I would not have had questions. Last but not least on my list of reasons I seldom go to MTS2 anymore is the fact that though the modders can group up to make these big sets or pair off to help each other on projects only 1 time was an object request actually followed through on.  Now I relize that its not easy to do (hell if it were I would already be doing it) but even simple things like a floor pattern or wallpaper that could be done quickly enough by those with paintshops were ignored and I am working an a really large project house that could be much more realistic with a little help and was going to be posted on site for all to enjoy.  Changing the format was just the last straw for me as now I cannot find things without spending a ton of time hunting through pages and pages of stuff.  At least in the old format it marked what I had previously viewed so I would not have to waste time (du'oh I have been here already). Yes I still go there and will continue to do so but less frequently since I seldom have that much time to spare these days, and I will not post my goodies on forums run by wannabe's who only put their friends out there for the world  to see.  And before you mistakenly think that I should have voiced this to MTS2 understand that I did and recieved no reply other than to say that if my stuff wasn't put up for download than to just keep trying. So for me it was not just a matter of the change that keeps me from visiting often its also the way the site is run.  I am glad you came here to answer questions and are able to put a bug in a few ears and get some positive change going there.

I reject your reality and substitute it with one of my own.
bairy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2005 November 05, 11:23:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if its a moderation issue or just a God complex but I have posted houses on MTS2 without a problem.  Being limited in what I can create at this time I tried my hand at some female mass murderers.  No matter what I did I could not get them posted.  There was always some excuse (pictures not good enough, need shots of real and simmies for compairison etc.) I complied with the wishes of the forum mod until I got to the point of the face shots were not close up enough to show the details and a week later someone had a celebrity posted without a real person photo for compairison (something I had been turned down for on my 3rd try to get these posted!).
Personally I can't comment on any of this because I don't deal with any kind of download moderation. I will however pass what you've said onto Delphy (site owner) and the people who do moderate it.

I wasn't able to get back on for a week or so but figured that it just wasn't worth the effort anymore.  At that point I decided to forget posting my stuff and just check in from time to time to see whats new.  I rarely get help from anyone with regards to how to do things (wasn't that the original intention of the site?) I just get not so politely referred back to a tutorial that if I had understood in the first place I would not have had questions.
Again, not really my department, I generally do game help and don't usually stray outside that. I know from things I've read that there are a lot of people who skip straight past all the tutorials specifically to ask. Unfortunately people who already have may be getting tied into that wave. Again, I shall pass this on to the people who deal with the creation area.

Last but not least on my list of reasons I seldom go to MTS2 anymore is the fact that though the modders can group up to make these big sets or pair off to help each other on projects only 1 time was an object request actually followed through on.  Now I relize that its not easy to do (hell if it were I would already be doing it) but even simple things like a floor pattern or wallpaper that could be done quickly enough by those with paintshops were ignored and I am working an a really large project house that could be much more realistic with a little help and was going to be posted on site for all to enjoy.
You can probably guess what I'm gonna say here Smiley

Changing the format was just the last straw for me as now I cannot find things without spending a ton of time hunting through pages and pages of stuff.  At least in the old format it marked what I had previously viewed so I would not have to waste time (du'oh I have been here already).
If you go to edit Options, you can now choose to skip the core pages and new download browser, effectively giving you back the "old view". You can also set your home page for the old index page, the site map, or any of the sections in between.

Yes I still go there and will continue to do so but less frequently since I seldom have that much time to spare these days, and I will not post my goodies on forums run by wannabe's who only put their friends out there for the world to see.
I don't think that's entirely fair or true. I don't look extensively at the download section but I know there's quite a range of posters. I understand why you'd say that though.

And before you mistakenly think that I should have voiced this to MTS2 understand that I did and recieved no reply other than to say that if my stuff wasn't put up for download than to just keep trying. So for me it was not just a matter of the change that keeps me from visiting often its also the way the site is run.
Will pass that on.

I am glad you came here to answer questions and are able to put a bug in a few ears and get some positive change going there.
I'm glad I came here too. It's been largely constructive and well thought out and there has been some good progress. I'm glad some people like yourself are able to make posts that are actually useful without resorting to insults as it helps us see what's wrong.
Unfortunately, being only a help mod, I can't comment on a lot of the download-area concerns but I will definitely pass the address of this post on to the various section moderators.
ThatEvilModfromMTS
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2005 November 05, 22:43:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: humybyrd

Being limited in what I can create at this time I tried my hand at some female mass murderers.  No matter what I did I could not get them posted.  There was always some excuse (pictures not good enough, need shots of real and simmies for compairison etc.) I complied with the wishes of the forum mod until I got to the point of the face shots were not close up enough to show the details and a week later someone had a celebrity posted without a real person photo for compairison (something I had been turned down for on my 3rd try to get these posted!).  I wasn't able to get back on for a week or so but figured that it just wasn't worth the effort anymore.  At that point I decided to forget posting my stuff and just check in from time to time to see whats new. 

I had to interject here and please don't take this in any rude way. I approve the sim uploads on the site. Yes you did work hard on your upload I'm sure. However your first submission you had no pictures of who they were modled after- If someone happens to upload an Angelina Jolie sim (god lord help me please make them stop uploading her)
and it doesnt have a picture, but the post is dont properly with links and photos- The general population does in fact know what she looks like. So a celeb photo is not always required there.
The sims that you made were based on very old historical characters that the general population does not know. If you had not titled your post no one looking at those sims would be able to identify them for who they were. Its not saying your work is bad but that is outr main criteria. If you submit a sim based on someone it has to look like them without guessing. Approving uploads is not a personal issue. We dont reject things becuase we feel like it, or we dont like you. If you worked hard on the sims and they didn't look enough like who they were based on you can always upload to the "other" category as many have done. Celebrity sims have stricter guidelines than other sim uploads.

As far as the thread closing issue I also have to defend this. We dont deliberately get heavy handed for fun either. But with such a massive number of posts piling up, the forum requires a good hard cleaning once in a while. there are outdated posts, and double posts, and silly BBSer posts, so sometimes it does look like were being bullies but if we continued to let the foum pile up with wasted postings then we'd get complaints on how hideously sloppy it is. Its a no win situation.

And for those of you who hate the layout- I myself am not even a fan of it, However its really easy to navigate if you use the site map- atleast for me it is. I only like certain areas of the forum and I can easily find them by just using the site map button. Instead of getting upset and ranting elsewhere, we are always open to constructive comments on how to better the site. Theres a thread just for site suggestions.
Not everyone can be happy all the time- and we only try to keep in mind that the site is perpetually growing. Even if you decide not to go back, hopefully there was something on there that you found useful. Smiley
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2005 November 05, 23:10:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well when MTS2 first started out it did have a higher quality of posters, but this was months not weeks ago.  Sad

Somewhere along the line, they just went crazy with the expanding and broadening their focus trying to become all things to all people and becoming this super huge site and ended up picking up a lot of BBS refugees along the way, which in turn tended to drive a lot of what I consider the higher caliber of posters away to other smaller communities and you ended up with the situation you have now.

I also very strongly dislike their new interface which I find somehow paradoxically overly complex and yet dumbed down at the same time. If the point was to make things easier to find, they've failed, at least for when I've tried to browse it with the new interface.
I have to agree with you Motoki on the quality of some of the recent posts many of them sound like th BBS'ers that post in retardo land here and have the misbegotten belief that retardo land is the main MATY forum.I also dont care for the new interface  on MTS2 itis paradoxical in its format as you say and also like you navigating the new interface is far more difficult. to find a specific Mod I was looking for I had to type in the Modders name in the search engine. the download times are horrible and thats putting it mildly and 50% percent of the time  I get connection hang up and timed out.It took me four hours last sunday to get an item I needed for a sim Brynne sent me .because of connection hang ups and timed outs

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
bairy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2005 November 05, 23:29:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bangelnuts,

As I've said at least twice in this thread, if you edit your options you can opt for the "old style" of mts2.

It may interest you to know that the new design is about a third lighter on the queries, meaning slightly faster page loads. Also, a "bug" was recently squashed which reduced average page rendering time from 5 mins to a few secs.
It is still slow at peak times (weekend) yes, and yes the files server is flat out for the entire weekend meaning many many requests are rejected, but being a free site, MTS2 has to work with the servers it has. Work is being done often that actually speeds things up. Of course the problem is that it allows more users, which slows it back down again.
The servers currently cost $1500 a month. The income is, give or take, $1500 a month. Unless donations or ad clicks go up, nothing more can be bought so I'm afraid there's not a lot can be done about the delays.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2005 November 05, 23:44:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bangelnuts,

As I've said at least twice in this thread, if you edit your options you can opt for the "old style" of mts2.

It may interest you to know that the new design is about a third lighter on the queries, meaning slightly faster page loads. Also, a "bug" was recently squashed which reduced average page rendering time from 5 mins to a few secs.
It is still slow at peak times (weekend) yes, and yes the files server is flat out for the entire weekend meaning many many requests are rejected, but being a free site, MTS2 has to work with the servers it has. Work is being done often that actually speeds things up. Of course the problem is that it allows more users, which slows it back down again.
The servers currently cost $1500 a month. The income is, give or take, $1500 a month. Unless donations or ad clicks go up, nothing more can be bought so I'm afraid there's not a lot can be done about the delays.
I do donate to MTS2 . but aside from that many of us come here to post for help now because   its far easier to get help here and the posters here on the Podium are quicker to respond than the help forum at MTS2. I had a game issue I posted for help onMTS2 and never got a reply. came here posted the same issue and got  an immediate response

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2005 November 08, 13:41:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I find the new interface to be a bit daunting myself, but I think it is unfair in the extreme to bash Mod2.

1. They were the first real Sims2 site to come on line. They are responsible for paving the way, so to speak for many of the later sites. Many who have their own sites now, started out at MTS They were the real start of the Sims2 community.

No, not really.  There were hundreds of Sims 2 sites in the Ultimate Sims List before MTS2 came along.  (I host the Ultimate Sims List, y'see; I've seen thousands of Sims sites come and go over the years.)  I can't think of any feature of MTS2 that was new.  MTS2's growth came from effective marketing and being the original host for many modders and hackers, but not from any great innovation.

MTS2 is an impressive achievement and can stand proud among the giants of the Sims community.  That should be sufficient laurels for anybody, with no need for false advertising.

The mistake underlying the user complaints was changing the user interface.  MTS2 is a very large and complex site.  It takes work to learn how to find things.  Every time you change things around, people have to go through the same work all over again.  With thousands of other sites, people will tend to just go elsewhere rather than invest their time and energy keeping up with your changes.

Greg

skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2005 November 08, 23:03:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

but aside from that many of us come here to post for help now because   its far easier to get help here and the posters here on the Podium are quicker to respond than the help forum at MTS2. I had a game issue I posted for help onMTS2 and never got a reply. came here posted the same issue and got  an immediate response

Yeah I can relate to that.  The *one* time I  did get a response it was from someone who wasn't even a moderator getting shitty with me about doing a forum search first.

I'm not an i-net retard...I know how to use a forum search and they never took  into consideration that perhaps I did  do a forum search (and I did, but did an answer to my question come up?  Noooo...why do you think I asked genious?)

Believe me, I know the annoyance of people posting the same question over and over again due to frequenting othe TS2 sites *cough*TSR*cough*.  But still..if you know that it's already been discussed and know where the answer is, just leave the person the damned link and don't get all high and mighty.

Okay I take some of that back...I finally did get a response to my question from somebody who left me a link..and it was in a thread that was like 10+ pages long....I would have been sooo likely to find that answer on my own. Who doesn't love skimming through 10 pages to find an answer to a question.  Roll Eyes

This isn't just a rant about MTS2..it happens other places as well.  But when stuff like that does happen..it doesn't make me want to participate in the community.  Especially when it happens the first time you ask a question or something.  Just sets a bad tone and I like to enjoy my time online..not deal with those who wish to act high and mighty without just cause  Wink

/rant over.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2005 November 09, 02:11:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

but aside from that many of us come here to post for help now because   its far easier to get help here and the posters here on the Podium are quicker to respond than the help forum at MTS2. I had a game issue I posted for help onMTS2 and never got a reply. came here posted the same issue and got  an immediate response

Yeah I can relate to that.  The *one* time I  did get a response it was from someone who wasn't even a moderator getting shitty with me about doing a forum search first.

I'm not an i-net retard...I know how to use a forum search and they never took  into consideration that perhaps I did  do a forum search (and I did, but did an answer to my question come up?  Noooo...why do you think I asked genious?)

Believe me, I know the annoyance of people posting the same question over and over again due to frequenting othe TS2 sites *cough*TSR*cough*.  But still..if you know that it's already been discussed and know where the answer is, just leave the person the damned link and don't get all high and mighty.

Okay I take some of that back...I finally did get a response to my question from somebody who left me a link..and it was in a thread that was like 10+ pages long....I would have been sooo likely to find that answer on my own. Who doesn't love skimming through 10 pages to find an answer to a question.  Roll Eyes

This isn't just a rant about MTS2..it happens other places as well.  But when stuff like that does happen..it doesn't make me want to participate in the community.  Especially when it happens the first time you ask a question or something.  Just sets a bad tone and I like to enjoy my time online..not deal with those who wish to act high and mighty without just cause  Wink

/rant over.
thats why I like this forum all you have to do is click see reponses to your posts and it takes you right to the post

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: