More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 17:07:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  Building Contest of Awesomeness (Moderator: Ambular)
| | | |-+  Hecubus's Utterly Non-Awesome Yankee Barn - Reloaded
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hecubus's Utterly Non-Awesome Yankee Barn - Reloaded  (Read 28776 times)
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
Hecubus's Utterly Non-Awesome Yankee Barn - Reloaded
« on: 2007 June 09, 01:24:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EDIT: Attempts to bring house to awesome specs completed...pics and new version offered at end of this post.

Despite my grousing about no custom content, I have capitulated, and I decided that having to build with no CC would be a challenge in itself.

And so, I bring you the Yankee Barn - based on a RL design.

Specs:
Lot: 4x4
Price: 177,560
Flatness: 100%
EPs: Uni, NL, OFB, Petz, Seasons

Features: one-car garage, master suite with private outdoor hottub, nursery suite, two additional bedrooms, 3 full- and 2 half-baths, living room with fireplace, family room, pool, greenhouse, pond.

It's a big place, with plenty of room for a growing family, or perhaps a growing commune. Gardens surround the house, and there is always room for more.

The kitchen/dining/living area:

What your peeping tom sees when he looks into the living room windows:

The master suite:

The family room:

The nursery suite (can be converted to bedrooms once your Sim has stopped spawning):

The kids' rooms - note that these rooms can be rearranged if the kids need to double up:

Random views that I think show off the house to its best advantage, including some floor plans:

BRIBE: Will do a forum-, writing-, or data-related editing/organizing project of your choice...and I'll build up to 10 custom lots to your spec. Oh, and I'll kill a few paysites.

************RELOAD***************

1. Added full perimeter fencing:

2. Moved composter to back yard where deciduous trees reside (although newspapers will need to be intercepted now):

3. Replaced beds with more comfortable/more energizing varieties (in other words, substance over style). Did a bit of redecorating as a result:

4. Added the homework desk to the family room:

New value: 186,651

* Hecubus's Awesome Yankee Barn Reloaded.rar (880.13 KB - downloaded 514 times.)
« Last Edit: 2007 July 02, 13:53:32 by Hecubus » Logged

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
RaeKira
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: Hecubus's Awesome Yankee Barn
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 09, 13:12:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which EPs do you have? I noticed a Nightlife door and of course the car, garage, and driveway that I forgot to say before, some Uni walls, and of course Seasons... But are there any other packs?

Hell yeah.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 09, 15:09:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice!  I have a rich family that was just waiting for a house like this...
* jsalemi downloads

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 09, 15:10:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oh, whoops. Will edit above, but meanwhile, I have Uni, NL, OFB, Petz, and Seasons. No stuff packs.

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
kathy
Asinine Airhead

Don't have anything nice to say? Come sit by me!

View Profile WWW
Re: Hecubus's Not Quite Awesome Yankee Barn
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 10, 03:17:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really like the layout of this. Nice work sweetie  Grin

To kill or not to kill that is the question
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 10, 03:26:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me too - like the layout, I mean.  Smiley

Useful, functional and attractive. I especially like the use you made of the space between the house and garage. The nursey area is large enough and self-contained. Choice!

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 10, 10:55:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really like this house too, the layout is really original. I like the pool too, from top-view it looks like a mouse Cheesy The pool slide is the tail and the ladders are the whiskers. Cute!

Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
Re: Hecubus's Awesome Yankee Barn - Reloaded
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 10, 21:24:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't realize the pool looked like a mouse until you said that! Heh.

The house is very playable...especially since I tend to banish kids to the second floor with a queue that keeps 'em busy for hours while I play adults.

I uploaded a new version, hopefully closer to El Presidente's specs.

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 July 02, 13:00:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1.5 for aesthetics. Very nice use of theme.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 July 02, 13:33:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bribe: 0.2
Functionality: 0.2
Scenarios: 0.2
Cost Effectiveness: 0.4
Expand 0.8
Physics: 0.8
Aesthetics: 1.5

Technical: 0.375
Total: 0.305

Correct Behaviors
Level Edges - Will Not Damage Neighborhood
Anti-Wolf Fencing

Correctable Issues
WAY too many desks! Creates massive ambiguity over the nature of The One Desk, due to numerous False Desks
Fridge properly blocked from raiders: Extensive restructuring would be needed to correct

Fundamental Flaws
Sunken split-level room has nonfunctional windows and many nonfunctional lights, resulting in the area being permanently dark
Blatant use of illegal placements for flowerbeds and shrubs results in many being inaccessible!
Extensive rebuild of entire interior required to make this playable! Less work to just build a new one entirely!/color]

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
Re: Hecubus's Non-awesome Yankee Barn - Reloaded
« Reply #10 on: 2007 July 02, 13:51:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shortly after Pescado explained my overwhelming failure, I loaded the game, and this lot blew up.

It's DEFINITELY Pescado's fault.

Just as well.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi

View Profile WWW
Re: Hecubus's Non-awesome Yankee Barn - Reloaded
« Reply #11 on: 2007 July 02, 17:46:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shortly after Pescado explained my overwhelming failure, I loaded the game, and this lot blew up.

It's DEFINITELY Pescado's fault.

Just as well.

Awww *Pats Hecubus*  At least you got a good aesthetics score!

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
Re: Hecubus's Utterly Non-Awesome Yankee Barn - Reloaded
« Reply #12 on: 2007 July 03, 00:50:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Non-functional lights? What? How? How can lights not work in the game?
I like the house Hecubus, I think it's purty.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 July 03, 00:52:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you make sunken lounges etc, the lighting doesn't work properly, a real nuisance because it means less design options. I think from memory some standing lights work.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 July 03, 00:55:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Non-functional lights? What? How? How can lights not work in the game?
I like the house Hecubus, I think it's purty.
When you make sunken lounges etc, the lighting doesn't work properly, a real nuisance because it means less design options. I think from memory some standing lights work.

Yeah, because you usually have a squished-down level in there somewhere, and if you put a lamp on the ceiling of the room or the upper portion of the walls the game will think it's on the next floor up and the light won't go to the bottom of the room.  There are ways around it though, if you place standing lamps carefully.  (Possibly table lamps as well?  I'm not sure...)

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Khaki
Exasperating Eyesore

HMPH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2007 July 03, 01:13:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For sunken rooms I usually use outside type floor lights hidden under a plant or something... sometimes table lamps placed on the floor behind some planty stuff looks ok too... then I also put lights on the upper portion as well... it still looks kinda funky cause there is always a strange shadow effect, but it does light the room...

Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 July 03, 01:37:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pity that the light won't reach the bottom of the rooms. I love the look of houses with split level rooms. I quit playing them, and also quit playing houses with foundations, because I couldn't take the bobbing up and down of the camera view any longer.  Tongue
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 July 03, 02:10:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For sunken rooms I usually use outside type floor lights hidden under a plant or something... sometimes table lamps placed on the floor behind some planty stuff looks ok too... then I also put lights on the upper portion as well... it still looks kinda funky cause there is always a strange shadow effect, but it does light the room...

yes, I just discovered that the low outdoor 'spotlight', even hidden under a table or bookcase, adds sufficient light. It just made my split levels playable again.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 July 03, 03:01:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great, I used to enjoy the variety I had with the different levels. I'll give it a go.

Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 July 03, 03:27:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really like this house but I'm a bit confused after reading the posts. Is it playable or will the lot go splodie? Thanks.  Smiley

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2007 July 03, 04:44:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, it's actually quite playable. I have had this lot - and variations - playing for a while. I REALLY think it was some new custom content that I used in the house yesterday that blew it up....but with the coincidental timing, it was too good to pass up an opportunity to blame Pescado.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 July 03, 05:36:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really like this house but I'm a bit confused after reading the posts. Is it playable or will the lot go splodie? Thanks.  Smiley
It's not very playable without a full interior overhaul, as it has a vast number of huge glaring flaws.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 July 03, 05:59:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yes, I just discovered that the low outdoor 'spotlight', even hidden under a table or bookcase, adds sufficient light. It just made my split levels playable again.
I use those a lot. I don't really like overheads as they get in my view, and haven't found sufficient wall lights I like. I either use the spotlights under stuff or these low-placed wall lights with a really shallow profile. The low ones work in sunken rooms, you just have to use the moveobjects cheat.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 July 03, 15:30:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the house I was trying to build for this contest, I had a sunken room too. I used wall lamps and garden spotlights hidden underneath the furniture.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 July 03, 16:34:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a lot once that I designed with a sunken living/bookshelf/TV area, surrounded by other functional space half a level above.  All the other rooms were reached off this area.  The effect was quite good, but the sunken area was always dark, due to the light problem (even when the rest of the room was bright.  I finally sorted it out with table lamps and floor lamps.  I like the floodlight idea.

Tribulatio proxima est
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: